Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
reply to aannoonn

Re: Insulate air return

said by aannoonn :

Looks like the stuff they show on Holmes Inspection before they fix it.

I actually dreamed last night that Mike was here helping me fix it

The house is almost 12 years old. There were units from four fire stations here and none of them could figure where the smoke came from. I had the wood stove going on in the basement, but the smoke detectors never went off and they checked to make sure they were working. The wife says smoke only came out of one register in her bedroom which is above the family room on the other side from the garage. The firemen say they've never seen anything like this, where they could not find the source of smoke. I'd write it off as the wife seeing things but the firemen did smell something and another person did see the haze. The duct you see is for the forced hot air, it doesn't get hot. There are no double walls, when I look up into the left side I can see the vent cover going into the family room. I doubt this area had anything to do with the smoke, the firemen just didn't know where else to look. I thought for air returns they at least covered it with sheet metal. They may have given me a reason why there was no firewall installed here, but I no longer remember.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Is there any chance that there is a duct booster fan in the duct to the vent where you wife saw the smoke? A dying blower motor would produce some smoke and stench for a short while as it burned the insulation off of its windings...

Just a thought!

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

said by HarryH3:

Is there any chance that there is a duct booster fan in the duct to the vent where you wife saw the smoke? A dying blower motor would produce some smoke and stench for a short while as it burned the insulation off of its windings...

Just a thought!

Unexplained smoke is usually electrical. But very rare other things... How is your house heated? Also, how is the sewer venting pipe in your house? You dont have these do you »www.oateyespanol.com/sure-vent/r···_app.jpg ?