All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Economically viable?

I live in a 2 year old neighborhood. The AT&T tech that rolled out to me two years ago to run the line to my house said that my neighborhood was already wired for and completely capable of UVerse... all that was needed was to swap the cards out in the node across the street. He also told me that that wasn't going to happen any time soon - AT&T wasn't providing the cards to him for my address.

Of course, I also am privy to know that Bell South had south Huntsville already run with FTTH and was starting trials when AT&T re-acquired them. Since then, AT&T has shut everything off in terms of FTTH other than a select few (likely employees).

It's really sad when a company refuses to think of anything but profits.
CharlesH1
join:2011-04-29
Milpitas, CA

1 recommendation

CharlesH1

said by SunnyD:

It's really sad when a company refuses to think of anything but profits.

My understanding is that the management of a corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to do exactly that.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

But to think of short-term profit as the only goal is...shortsighted. You may be able to make a buck now with wireless but eventually you'll run out of ways to make money. There is a limit to how much people will pay for wireless service, even if the number of devices they can use it on grows. At that point you have to start looking at the wireline side of things, which is best served by FTTH (low maintenance costs, very high speeds).
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to CharlesH1

Premium Member

to CharlesH1
Verizon's doing it with FIOS.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to SunnyD

to SunnyD
AT&T is 'large enough' to spin off its own separate company for the 'unprofitable' (rural) sites, and find a method of making it work and profitable. It just can't fit rural (less profitable) + urban (profitable) under the same corporate umbrella.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

It's *ALL* immensely profitable. All of the legacy DSL gear has been installed and paid for for a long time now. (so long, most of it has likely been completely depreciated.) The biggest problem I can see is one of vendor support... the vendor either doesn't support the aging gear, or they no longer exist at all. "Uverse IPDSLAM" is the technology refresh here -- which as another poster points out, is a linecard swap. This "upgrade" is a rounding error compared to the billions the idiots have wasted putting a VRAD on every street corner and front yard in the country in order to get a short enough loop. And it's ALL already obsolete; copper loop DSL is a dead end.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Yup. They should have put fiber in instead.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to SunnyD

Premium Member

to SunnyD
said by SunnyD:

I live in a 2 year old neighborhood. The AT&T tech that rolled out to me two years ago to run the line to my house said that my neighborhood was already wired for and completely capable of UVerse...

Of course it is, just like my 50 Year old neighborhood. Uverse is just higher speed xDSL over traditional POTS.