Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Night Owl

join:2008-10-23
London, ON
reply to rocca

Re: Start Communications - new TPIA Rogers/Cogeco

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem? The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

Hey, also noticed they have a free shipping promo on purchased modems.
--
What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away. - Anonymous

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
said by Night Owl:

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem? The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

During our soft-launch until the 21st we don't have a bring-your-own-modem option, but it will be available during general launch. (provided it's compatible of course)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
A family member has a SB5100 , which should have no issues pulling 20mb (in Cogeco land)

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
reply to rocca
Another good thing From their signup page p:)
We also are offering a 30-day money back guarentee if you are not happy with our service for any reason.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Night Owl

London, ON
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by Night Owl:

During our soft-launch until the 21st we don't have a bring-your-own-modem option, but it will be available during general launch. (provided it's compatible of course)

Thank you...that's good news.

Don't want to bombard you with too many questions but one other: Will there be a charge for account changes?

For example, if I sign up for the Standard Cable service w/200GB usage and later you offer unlimited for $x.xx more will I need to pay a fee to upgrade?
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Night Owl:

Will there be a charge for account changes?

For example, if I sign up for the Standard Cable service w/200GB usage and later you offer unlimited for $x.xx more will I need to pay a fee to upgrade?

There are no plans to pass those charges on at this time, if it becomes an issue later we may have to address it at that time, but I don't suspect it will...

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by rocca:

said by Night Owl:

There are no plans to pass those charges on at this time, if it becomes an issue later we may have to address it at that time, but I don't suspect it will...

Why would their be a fee to move between capped and unlimited in the same speed tier as it's just a database change Start Com's end.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by JCohen:

said by rocca:

said by Night Owl:

Why would their be a fee to move between capped and unlimited in the same speed tier as it's just a database change Start Com's end.

Oh yes, never a fee for something like that.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to Night Owl
said by Night Owl:

Will we be permitted to bring our own modem?

The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

I missed that part.

Where was it said ?

Night Owl

London, ON
said by Davesnothere:

said by Night Owl:

The site only lists a rental option ($5.00/month) or purchase option ($69.95-->DOCSIS 2 or $$99.95-->DOCSIS 3).

I missed that part.

Where was it said ?

It wasn't actually said anywhere. Me, being the inquisitive person I am, went through the steps to place an order just to see what it would cost and it shows up there.

--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by Night Owl:

said by Davesnothere:

said by Night Owl:

I missed that part. - Where was it said ?

It wasn't actually said anywhere. Me, being the inquisitive person I am, went through the steps to place an order just to see what it would cost and it shows up there.

OK, I found START's web order form screen.

Do I have to fill in the entire first page, including a service address, before it breaks the good news to me about the FREE SHIPPING for the MODEM ?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
Click for full size
BUY D3 MODEM
Click for full size
RENT D3 MODEM

All right, I got inquisitive too, and here's what I found out :

Ya DO have to fill in the entire first page of the order form, including a service address, before it breaks the good news to you about the FREE SHIPPING for a MODEM purchase.

Also, that 1st screen accepts short fake addresses so that you can see the financial info sooner.

And if you are testing multiple ideas to see what they cost, and want to return to the first screen, DO NOT USE THE BROWSER BACK BUTTON !

Instead use the one AT THE BOTTOM of the web page, in order not to lose what you already filled in.

AND, if you say that you will RENT the modem, it does not say 'Free shipping promotion', like in the screen to BUY the modem - instead there is no line item at all for shipping to BE waived in that case.

In both cases, I stated that I would be transferring from an active cable account, to avoid the setup fee from being shown.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
But nowhere before that did it state u had to pay for modem Shipping i bet? so its breaking good news sure but it never said it would cost money prior to that.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by morisato:

....sure but it never said it [Modem Shipping] would cost money prior to that.

Actually it DID. - That's why I have been asking.

See the first * line at bottom of rate page.

$15

G1gg1ty

@teksavvy.com
reply to Davesnothere
I don't see how to sign up without purchasing or renting a modem.

Is this not an option?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Davesnothere

Mo' o' Dem MODEM questions fo' Da Boss :

Are START's rental Cable modems the same makes and models as their purchase ones ?

Is there any shipping charge for a rental modem ?

How soon would the modem be shipped after I would place my service order ?

Will you ship by Canada Post, and to a P.O. Box, as we have no Postal delivery in our community ? (like most smaller ones)

If I begin by renting a modem from START, say for a couple of months, can I after that choose to buy it and continue to use that exact same modem ?

Would there be any credit from the modem rental towards the purchase, even a partial one, especially if I rented it longer ?

I guess that one OTHER advantage of using a START-issued modem would be that they would pre-test it and would have the MAC address on file and into Cogeco's (Rogers') database sooner. - Would those things all be true ?

Would all of the above answers be the same for both Cogeco and Rogers related accounts ?

Night Owl

London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

AND, if you say that you will RENT the modem, it does not say 'Free shipping promotion', like in the screen to BUY the modem - instead there is no line item at all for shipping to BE waived in that case.

That begs the question: If we rent a modem are we on the hook for the shipping charge?

If we are responsible for the shipping fee, where/when does it get billed?
--

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by morisato:

....sure but it never said it [Modem Shipping] would cost money prior to that.

Actually it DID. - That's why I have been asking.

See the first * line at bottom of rate page.

$15

The current free shipping promotion is an online-ordering deal, ie phone orders are charged the $15 shipping. We've been running it a while with the DSL too - it used to be on the page at that time, looks like it fell off during the cable packages being added.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to G1gg1ty
said by G1gg1ty :

I don't see how to sign up without purchasing or renting a modem.

Is this not an option?

Not during the soft-launch, it will be an option for general availability.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Are START's rental Cable modems the same makes and models as their purchase ones ?

Yes.

said by Davesnothere:

Is there any shipping charge for a rental modem ?

No.

said by Davesnothere:

How soon would the modem be shipped after I would place my service order ?

Within 2 days generally from the time the order is confirmed. (ie cable/phone provider accepts the order)

said by Davesnothere:

Will you ship by Canada Post, and to a P.O. Box, as we have no Postal delivery in our community ? (like most smaller ones)

We use Canada Post Express Post.

said by Davesnothere:

If I begin by renting a modem from START, say for a couple of months, can I after that choose to buy it and continue to use that exact same modem ?

Yes.

said by Davesnothere:

Would there be any credit from the modem rental towards the purchase, even a partial one, especially if I rented it longer ?

If it was a year, generally we'd offer a reduced buy-out price.

said by Davesnothere:

I guess that one OTHER advantage of using a START-issued modem would be that they would pre-test it and would have the MAC address on file and into Cogeco's (Rogers') database sooner. - Would those things all be true ?

It should be the same for self-provisioned as well as rental, ie mac #'s are entered at time of order. The main advantages are peace of mind with replacement, compatibility and no capital outlay.

said by Davesnothere:

Would all of the above answers be the same for both Cogeco and Rogers related accounts ?

Yes.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Night Owl
said by Night Owl:

That begs the question: If we rent a modem are we on the hook for the shipping charge?

No need to BEG , as it's in my Wall 'o Questions post, just in time for St Paddie's Day.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Night Owl
said by Night Owl:

said by Davesnothere:

No shipping on rentals.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

said by Davesnothere:

....Would all of the above answers be the same for both Cogeco and Rogers related accounts ?

Yes.

Thanks.

Hey, it just occurred to me - we just wrote a new page for your FAQ !

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Davesnothere:

Hey, it just occurred to me - we just wrote a new page for your FAQ !

Sweet!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

BTW, I am using a new Cisco 3000-something Docsis 3 modem on my current Cogeco 30/2 account and it seems solid.

Any experience/opinions about THAT model ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Davesnothere:

BTW, I am using a new Cisco 3000-something Docsis 3 modem on my current Cogeco 30/2 account and it seems solid.

Any experience/opinions about THAT model ?

The DPC3000 - yeah, nice modem.

kcorscadden

join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

1 edit
How does one order online? I can't find it....

NM, found it: »www.start.ca/services/highspeed/signup

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by kcorscadden:

How does one order online? I can't find it....

NM, found it: »www.start.ca/services/highspeed/signup

Yes, it took me a moment too, as there are no big buttons on their rate pages labeled [CLICK HERE to ORDER], but I found it.

BTW folks, it's on the RIGHT side of the page, under the heading QUICK LINKS.