how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to criggs

Re: Sprint's Bait and Switch on Unlimited 4G Mobile Broadband

Clear offers 3g as well on the mobile cards.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

Thanks for the thought. I presume they're using Sprint's 3G network, correct?

With regard to Clear, I obviously am not dealing with the potential problem of a reseller who doesn't own a network. But with Clear I get the distinct impression there's a whole other set of issues apparently.

I'm referring to the fact that, if one goes by what one reads on line, there is massive dissatisfaction among Clear's customer base, far higher than among Sprint's customer base. The web is replete with horror stories galore concerning Clear's customer service, their billing, their throttling policies, etc. etc. If one goes by that info, signing up with Clear could be the equivalent of buying into a hornet's nest.

With regard to Clear's 3G availability where 4G is not available, I just went to their page at »www.clear.com/plans to get some info about that, and came up empty. They don't even MENTION 3G!!! So can you tell me, please, what's the story with that? Is the 3G usage capped? Is it free below the cap, meaning there are no additional charges for using 3G unless one goes above the cap? Assuming there is a 3G cap, how much is it per megabyte once one gets above the cap?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions; appreciated.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to 25139889

said by 25139889:

No, they don't; you're wrong, as of "a few months ago," according to the Clear representative to whom I just spoke.

Sorry for the bad news. They did offer it, but the rep told me Clear is "no longer partnered with Sprint" and, as a result, has removed the 3G availability.

Which leaves the Clear 4G service worse than useless, since their network looks like a piece of Swiss cheese.

The viable unlimited 4G options at this point therefore are the plan from Wireless 'N' WiFi (WnW) for $58.99, what sounds like an identical plan from Millenicom (M) for $69.99, and the BYOD plan from M, also for $69.99.

In other words, if one wants unlimited 4G, whether WiMax or LTE, on one's laptop, at this time the only option is WiMax, and the only option is through those two resellers, WnW and M.

So the next question to resolve is the situation with the 3G. We already know how it works with WnW (see »WiMAX Plan 150; $40/month , and scroll down to cellguru's first posting; it's basically a soft 15 gig 3G cap). How does it work with Millenicom?

Well, I just called them and they confirmed that the ONLY cap on the service, either on the 4G or 3G side, is the soft 50 gig cap of which most regular readers of this Millenicom forum are already well aware.

So it would appear that the Millenicom service is superior, for that reason, to the Wireless 'N' WiFi service.

Hmmm. It's becoming awfully difficult to come up with a reason why I shouldn't simply switch, at this point, from my current Sprint 4G to Millenicom's BYOD plan.

A word on the BYOD plan: It not only accommodates the 250U device. It also accommodates my Sprint hotspot, which I frequently use when I'm volunteering with folks who also need to connect to the Internet.

The only reason I happen to also have the 250U is because the latter works a little better with the 3G network than does the Hotspot. So if I find myself for a long period of time out of touch with the 4G network, I tend to switch it (Sprint allows unlimited switching between devices on an account).

Of course, the Hotspot compensates for that slight deficiency with its greater convenience in terms of providing networking with fellow volunteers.

Ideally, I would like to be able to use both. But I can't with Millenicom. Every time one switches to a different device on the BYOD plan, it counts as a brand new plan, and one gets charged another $50 every time. Ouch.

So I would have to commit to one device or the other, and then stick with it, and having to make a decision like that I find a bit troubling.

Guess I've got some thinking to do. Feedback welcome.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

said by criggs:

said by 25139889:

No, they don't; you're wrong, as of "a few months ago," according to the Clear representative to whom I just spoke.

In fairness, they do as long as you already have it; they just stopped offering the option to new subscribers.

The thing that has changed is they implemented a usage meter for 3G and will start billing at $0.015/MB after 5GB.

I'm happy with the pricing of my "Pick 2" plan which includes both mobile hotspot 3G/4G service and home modem service, and I'll be riding it out as long as the company can hang in there. My usage is fairly limited so I can make most current plans work if I had to, but I agree if you're a heavy user the options out there now are pretty bleak.

criggs

New York, NY

Would you also characterize this new 50-gig 4G option from Millenicom as bleak? If so why?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on that question.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

1 edit

Mostly the carrier direct options are bleak, although even the Millenicom offering is $10/mo more than I'm paying now, and I get service on 2 devices.