share rss forum feed

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to Trimline

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

Just a few days ago I posted something related this regarding hp thin clients.

»www.mgraves.org/2012/03/hp-thin- ··· n-hosts/

These can be had with Atom or Via cpus for under $200 ready to roll.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
enjoying the inflight wifi?

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
·Bright House Net..
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

Excellent prices, I just may order one on Monday as a test box. I've always had extremely good results with HP products. Small and quiet is a must for me, seen and not heard is my motto.

Thanks for the info.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
Almost makes me sorry I picked up a T23 for $100, but I saved a few bucks, have a built in "UPS" and a screen for initial install. Still, it's a used machine from way back when (P3 1.2/1GB/20GB). Those thin clients really are the way to go if you're rolling out new stuff and reliability's the key.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

enjoying the inflight wifi?

Nah, that was done on my G2 while at IAH. Pity the Galaxy Nexus I ordered didn't deliver in time to come along to the UK.

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
·Bright House Net..
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

1 edit
said by borntochill:

said by mgraves1:

Anyone know what the real-world power footprint looks like running PiaF 2 on one of these thin clients such as the HP T5565? Its power supply is rated at 65w but will it actually use that much?

For us, it's a consideration since there is the question of whether the added PBX versatility/utility is worth the roughly extra $80-90 per year in electricity going forward in our SOHO setup. I'm aware of PlugPBX alternatives, but the relative ease of installation and power of a PiaF installation sounds much more appealing since I'm inexperienced in both Linux and Asterisk.

The main goal is GV integration with new IP phones so maybe something like $35/year SIPSorcery plan or using an Obi110 as a proxy might be more cost effective. Dunno.

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3 ··· CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

20 Watts × 24 hours/day × 365 days/year) ÷ 1000
= 48 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to borntochill
said by borntochill:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities. The models that I have were recycled. That is, they were being sent to Dell to be recycled by a major broadcaster. A friend saw the box and held it for me. Since they pay Dell to recycle that sort of thing it was as win-win.

Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Since I live in hurricane alley I'm very concerned about power draw on UPS/generator. These thin clients are in fact the smallest power draw in my entire arsenal of technology.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

borntochill

united state
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

On the Q180, and I'm sure most of the related siblings, the power is quoted as:

Save Energy—and Money.
Power consumption for most tasks is only 20W, making the Q180 exceptionally energy efficient. Indeed, it uses 80 percent less energy than a traditional desktop, helping the environment and keeping your electricity bills low.

»shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/3 ··· CC8A1ACC

Running these small foot prints on Linux would not consume as much monthly $$ as a hosted service. I'm not sure what a few ATA's consume, but I'm going to guess it would be about the same, or less, as hosting your own small server. Certainly not $80-$90 per year.

Edit: Added my own annual costs for electricity:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

That's very helpful, although I believe your calculation is wrong. Wouldn't that be 175.2 kWh per year? If so, 20W @ 14.5cents/kWh, would give you an annual electricity cost of $25.40.

In my post above, I calculated 65W @ 15cents/kWh to be about $85.41/year extra electricity. If real-world usage is only 20 watts, that's a much more acceptable bite. Still I'd need to factor in both the electricity and hardware cost compared to, say, a $35/year SipSorcery plan which has no hardware/electricity expense.

I guess the question is: in a SOHO setting, do the added features of hosting one's own Asterisk server make it worth spending the extra money and time?

Edit: for the lazy, here is the first of numerous power cost calculators that came up in google: »www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator ··· ator.htm.

borntochill

united state
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

I've used T5700 series for several years and in various capacities.
Mine are older so Transmeta Crusoe CPUs, but my kilawatt meter proves to me that they don't ever draw more than 11 watts. That even after I installed a laptop hard drive and a second NIC in an expansion chasis.

Good to know. Thanks.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

= $6.96/year ÷ 12
= .58 per month

= 175.2 kWh × 14.5 cents/kWh
= $25.40/year ÷ 12
= $2.12 per month

[Edit] Just spotted borntochill's post. Sorry for the duplication.
--
DPC2100 - WRT610N - SPA2102 - Asterisk 1.8.10.0 on Xen Virtual Server
VoIP.MS - Voxbeam - Localphone - Numbergroup - IPKall - UKDDI

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·Vestalink
·Bright House Net..
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
reply to mgraves1
said by mgraves1:

Ordered an HP t5565 Thin Client - do you have any notes to share on installing Asterisk? Or is this just a regular install once memory is added.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
My advise is not Asterisk specific, but for any embedded linux distribution.

When using a thin client, you will likely be using a Disk on Module, or DOM. Think of this as a small SSD drive that is intended to boot the operating system on the device.

I actually wrote a blog post about this for pfsense. Many of the same rules will apply for Asterisk.

»www.hammerweb.com/blog/2011/11/p ··· -client/

The key issue is that with any flash media, their lifespan is greatly reduced if you perform a lot of writes from the device. The best way to use these devices is simply to boot and then run from a RamDisk.

This means you will want to use a distribution specifically designed to be a for an embedded device. This generally means that writes are minimized and log files are kept in RAM.

There are two ways of getting this OS image onto the DOM module. I prefer to use a USB CD-ROM and install the OS much like you would do on any computer. However, you must delete the swap partition during the drive setup, and you will need to choose the embedded kernel during the install.

Another popular method is to use a Linux Live CD and boot into a linux environment. Then, using the 'dd' command, you copy the .img file over to the DOM.

Of course, if your thin client has a traditional HDD, then all of the above can be ignored.

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to Trimline
said by Trimline:

Ordered an HP t5565 Thin Client - do you have any notes to share on installing Asterisk? Or is this just a regular install once memory is added.

With respect to Asterisk here's an older piece, not based on a thin client, be an embeded approach: »www.mgraves.org/?p=1092

Then there's a music server project based upon a T5700: »www.mgraves.org/2009/01/how-to-d ··· p-t5700/

The mechanics of the project should be transferable.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

scott2020

join:2008-07-20
MO
reply to mgraves1
Never mind, I finished reading the thread. Not used to the iPad yet I guess...

mgraves1
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

The key issue is that with any flash media, their lifespan is greatly reduced if you perform a lot of writes from the device. The best way to use these devices is simply to boot and then run from a RamDisk.

This means you will want to use a distribution specifically designed to be a for an embedded device. This generally means that writes are minimized and log files are kept in RAM.

There are two ways of getting this OS image onto the DOM module. I prefer to use a USB CD-ROM and install the OS much like you would do on any computer. However, you must delete the swap partition during the drive setup, and you will need to choose the embedded kernel during the install.

If you use an embedded Asterisk distro like Astlinux (»http://www.astlinux.org/) or Askozia (»www.askozia.com/diet/) then all of this is handled for you. They're specifically designed around operating from small format hardware, booting from Flash media.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org