join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to ajhaji

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

said by ajhaji:

said by Trimline:

I am an equipment junkie. Let me know the stats on your ZOTAC.

I got the ZOTAC ID12-U barebone, which is an Atom D525 (dual-core 1.8 GHz). Popped in 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 40 GB Intel SSD, and you're done. It's a great little box. Quite quiet. The only thing that isn't so nice is that the HDMI port only supports resolutions up to 720p. So this wouldn't be a good choice for an HTPC.

The thin clients suggested by Mike are more than good enough for the application but cheaper than the Zotacs by a large margin. With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by FiReSTaRT:

With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).

I don't know how much you had spent your $$$ on the hardware to do XBMC. However, I believe one can achieve the same (and may be better) for as little as $25 with a RaspBerryPi (NOT RaspBerryPie).
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
2) Has no US distribution
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by FiReSTaRT:

With that being said, I use on of those little ATOM boxes (an Acer Aspire REVO 3610) as my main media player (Linux + XBMC).

I don't know how much you had spent your $$$ on the hardware to do XBMC. However, I believe one can achieve the same (and may be better) for as little as $25 with a RaspBerryPi (NOT RaspBerryPie).

About $200 shipped, without an OS (not that I needed one) at the time when RaspberryPi wasn't even on the horizon. Not sure how good it is at decoding compressed hidef video, but who knows.. The REVO has been serving me well since 09
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

mgraves1
Premium
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

As much as a love the RasBerry Pi, lets be honest.

1) It has yet to ship
3) Does not come with a power supply, or USB network dongle, USB harddrive, or USB hub or many other necessary items to make this a working HTPC system (read: its not really $25)
4) Does not have a GPU that really can come close to anything the Atom/Ion combo delivers.

As someone who once tried running Astlinux on Gumstix you are 100% right on-the-money. There's a huge difference between testbed platforms for experimentation and production systems, even for home use. I still have the Gumstix hardware, but it sits idle, too inconvenient to stay in use.
--
Michael Graves
Houston TX
»www.mgraves.org

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
reply to gweidenh
said by gweidenh:

1) It has yet to ship

Read this to find out more.

Not ATM. But, I hope it soon will be.

Read this to find out more.

Read the FAQ (see section: What SoC are you using?) and you will find out how many GPUs a RaspberryPi has.
--
don't and stop are the ONLY two 4-letter words considered offensive to men, but not when used together.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3
I'm glad you agree with me.

Cal96

join:2004-11-05
Oceanside, CA
This was posted recently in the NSLU2-General forum regarding the Raspberry Pi. »tech.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/···age/8572

Although a very interesting device for its intended educational purpose, the Raspberry Pi will have a few strikes going against it as a replacement for the NSLU2 with regards to being NAS. First, for the time being, it doesn't ship with a case and it's a bit vulnerable being naked. Also, from information in the RPi forums, it doesn't look like its USB ports will deliver enough current to power a 2.5" USB hard drive whereas the NSLU2 can.