spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sficca

join:2001-08-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to pog4

Re: Please review my 1st build in 8 years. Desktop for Windows.

Indeed, a very interesting read, that blog re: SSD and Win7 you sited!! Gosh, with 16Gb RAM, perhaps I can run w/out a swap file.

From that read, I am looking now for a rating of SSD's by Mircrosoft Windows Experience Index metric.

Regarding some other issues: DVD burner. I can not find anything other than the Plextor that is 1)External and 2) eSATA with 3)the flexibility of USB too! It was only $80 at Amazon, BUT UNAVAILABLE now! I'm open for suggestions! Remember, I use my computer from 6' away, separated by one floor (hole).

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
I'm pretty sure you can just buy an eSATA enclosure and slap any SATA optical drive in there.

Oh wait you'd need a 5.25" enclosure...let me look around...

OK they do exist »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···eSize=20

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI
reply to sficca
said by sficca:

Gosh, with 16Gb RAM, perhaps I can run w/out a swap file.

The consensus among people who seem to know what they are talking about is that you shouldn't disable the paging file, even with huge amounts of RAM. Windows is not so lame that it doesn't know how to handle itself well with lots of memory and, more importantly, some applications depend on the presence of a page file and you will experience odd problems without one.

I say get lots of RAM and keep your page file.
--
My Site

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
Yeah I used to turn it off on my old laptop, some programs would just barf and not run at all. Usually they were utility programs that I didn't really need though.