how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to AndrewW

Re: [Newsgroups] Newsgroups and DMCA Takedowns

Keep in mind that the USENET protocol includes a cancel command which will delete posts from every server worldwide.

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
said by aannoonn :

Keep in mind that the USENET protocol includes a cancel command which will delete posts from every server worldwide.

When and by who is this cancel command used? I've been able to download stuff from Newshosting well after its been deleted by GN. I'm also able to download stuff from a European provider months after its gone missing from GN and Highwinds.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to aannoonn
The Usenet Wiki has the following to say about the cancel command.

“Removal of copyrighted content from the entire Usenet network is a nearly impossible task, due to the rapid propagation between servers and the retention done by each server. Petitioning a Usenet provider for removal only removes it from that one server's retention cache, but not any others. It is possible for a special post cancellation message to be distributed to remove it from all servers, but many providers ignore cancel messages by standard policy, because they can be easily falsified and submitted by anyone. For a takedown petition to be most effective across the whole network, it would have to be issued to the origin server to which the content has been posted, but has not yet been propagated to other servers. Removal of the content at this early stage would prevent further propagation, but with modern high speed links, content can be propagated as fast as it arrives, allowing no time for content review and takedown issuance by copyright holders.”

So I need to amend my initial question by requesting a list of Usenet providers who ignore DMCA takedown notices and cancel commands.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by AndrewW:

So I need to amend my initial question by requesting a list of Usenet providers who ignore DMCA takedown notices and cancel commands.

Cancel commands are really a non-issue to be honest. DMCA can affect any provider at any given time and none want to get the reputation that they "ignore" them. They may not get many or any, but as public discussions continue about them ignoring them...this information moves up the chain and does not go unnoticed.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
said by swintec:

said by AndrewW:

Cancel commands are really a non-issue to be honest. DMCA can affect any provider at any given time and none want to get the reputation that they "ignore" them. They may not get many or any, but as public discussions continue about them ignoring them...this information moves up the chain and does not go unnoticed.

I didn't think it was an issue as well but the anonymous poster suggested it was. However the question then would be who is at the head of this chain and are there any providers who ignore or cannot be touched by this chain in any substantial fashion?