Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?

Click for full size
The back panel
Click for full size
The box
Click for full size
The EA4500 router top view
Okay, here goes, but fair warning, these are just phone-pics

As typical with consumer Linksys, no in-depth specs given, even in the pdf file/manual, does not list the chipset used, so I don't know if it will be 3d party firmware supported...not an issue with me as I stick with stock firmware.

At any rate, it is a dual band up to 450Mbps per band, like the V2 4200. It supports IPv6, has the USB port, gigabit ports etc. It has 6 interior antenna (3 per band).

As the pic shows, it has the same outward appearance of the E4200 models.

I will be setting this up once my self-install cable/phone kit arrives from Comcast...probably Friday. Just got tired of paying pretty much the same money for a 6 MBPS dsl line and landline (cell coverage here is pretty sketchy, so I still need the landline)

Truth to tell, this is a bit of overkill for me, but I had the dough and wanted a quality unit.

I will be on a 20Mbps service (with Power Boost), have 2 laptops, a desktop, the occasional guest computer, a couple of android devices, wireless printer, Roku box, stream music, and have a NAS, but really nothing that is all that demanding.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Thank you for the pics and info. You know. I think someone goofed and put those up for sale early. Like you said. Nothing online or on the Linksys site. Not even a hint that these are coming out. How exciting to get a early unit. I wonder if it is their top of the line for the new models coming out? I wonder if it has a built in traffic meter as well. Lots of people have been wanting that including myself. Was that the only highest end model they had? How much was it?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by KoRnGtL15:

Was that the only highest end model they had? How much was it?

Yes it was, and from the pdf file user's manual, the EA series will include the EA4500, EA3500, and EA2700...so it appears that the 4500 at least for now, will be the highest model.

As far as price, I paid $179 (remember, this was retail) while the E4200 v1 (no v2's in stock) were $149.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I wonder internally what has changed from E4200 V2 compared to the one you have. I am still rocking my E4200 V1 and it has been rock solid over a year now. Might upgrade to this EA4500.... Once you get it hooked up. You can tell us more about it if you don't mind. I am sure you will be very pleased. I am on cable as well.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

It might just be minor differences.
Heck, I have the WRT610N v2 which was retired for the E3000 which was completely the same modem.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to KoRnGtL15

MVM

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

I wonder internally what has changed from E4200 V2 compared to the one you have. I am still rocking my E4200 V1 and it has been rock solid over a year now. Might upgrade to this EA4500.... Once you get it hooked up. You can tell us more about it if you don't mind. I am sure you will be very pleased. I am on cable as well.

I don't know for sure, as I am not that driven to open it up and check the chipset, and none of the documentation addresses that.

I suspect that it is closer internally to the E4200 V2, only because like the V2, it is 450 Mbps x 450 Mbps.

BTW: The new EA series officially comes out on March 16th, I got that from Linksys. They seemed a bit surprised that I had one already.

The EA3500 is rated as a 450 Mbps x 300 Mbps, and is a dead ringer for the E3200

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to PeteC2

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

Okay, here goes, but fair warning, these are just phone-pics

As typical with consumer Linksys, no in-depth specs given, even in the pdf file/manual, does not list the chipset used, so I don't know if it will be 3d party firmware supported...not an issue with me as I stick with stock firmware.

I touched on this here »Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?