spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tiredofbandw

@bell.ca

[Internet] Anyway to get around bandwidth limits?!

I've racked up a huge amount of fees with bell for going over their limit. $120 in two months and I am tired of it. My limit is currently 250gb so i'm already paying an extra $15 a month for this horseshit. Anything I can do to circumvent bell's BW limits? I tried getting the nexicom login but it was just my luck that the day i called to get one they stopped selling them. So what can I do? Jailbreak the modem? Bribe a tech? Take a baseball bat to the cable box? Anything

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
change your plan ?

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by koira:

change your plan ?

To what though? Bell doesn't offer anything currently other than 100GB + 3x40GB "insurance" packs for a total of 220GB.

NefCanuck

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to tiredofbandw
Switch to an IISP?

You can get unlimited for the crap sum you are paying to Hell. They are ripping you off.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

said by koira:

change your plan ?

To what though?

To a plan with a different ISP.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to tiredofbandw
said by tiredofbandw :

So what can I do? Jailbreak the modem? Bribe a tech? Take a baseball bat to the cable box? Anything

If you want to avoid paying overages, you have 2 options:

1) Use less
2) Change ISPs

There's no way to stay with Bell and get around the caps.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to bt
refer to Teksavvy unlimited

»teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to tiredofbandw
Your only choice is to switch ISPs because ISPs nowadays don't provide logins.

You can for example look at Velcom »velcom.ca/ which offers 400 GB or TekSavvy »teksavvy.com/ which offers 300 GB. But other than that, there's no way to circumvent the overcharge.
Perhaps if you could bribe Bell's president...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to tiredofbandw
Unfortunately Bell no longer offers plans with unlimited usage. Your usage is tracked by your login (PPPoE session) so changing the modem or its firmware or even bribing/blackmailing/sleeping with a Bell tech isn't going to do anything.

Do some research and look at other ISPs offerings.
Just what exactly is your monthly average usage anyways?

tiredofbandw

@bell.ca
»puu.sh/kTrP

And that is very limited use. I havent used my netflix or apple tv in months

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Ah - definitely time to look at other DSL providers.
Canadian ISPs
»/isplist?c=ca (the list is somewhat screwed up as a few ISPs from other nations show up, still it gives you some names).
Also there is the Canadian Broadband forum as well, you could ask there for some suggestions.
»Canadian Broadband

adisor91

@teksavvy.com
reply to tiredofbandw

Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC
That's in the Acanac/Canaca family. You get perks with an Acanac account there.

recluse1866

join:2005-09-20
Ottawa, ON
Primus offers unlimited high speed internet, with speeds of up to 7 Mbps, for $38.95 a month. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ISP?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
said by recluse1866:

Primus offers unlimited high speed internet, with speeds of up to 7 Mbps, for $38.95 a month. Does anyone have any thoughts on this ISP?

Up to 7mbps if your connected on their equipement, most of the time your connected on Bell equipement which is up to 6mbps.

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to tiredofbandw
Since March 2008 for Bell Internet, I negotiated to get pricing equal to that of a new customer or even lower.

Basically I called Bell and told the CSR that I was tired of being penalized for being a long term customer and asked why customers who bounce to other ISPs are offered a better price to come back.

The attached chart details what I am paying.

Some notes:

1. Bell included 5 40 gig blocks for each of 2 years. Bell doesn't want to track this so they gave a block discount of $25.00 against one of the invoices in each of the 2 years.

2. In July of 2011 when I called to complain about our neighbours getting Fibe, and threatening to go to Cogeco, they offered Bell Internet Performance free for 2 months ($72.80).

3. On October 27, 2011, I called about the recently increased $3.95 to $4.95 modem rental fee and was offered a free modem ($49.95) charge and credit and Internet at half price.

4. When negotiating with Bell for a better price on our Home phone service, (since that chart was generated) Bell wouldn't reduce the home phone price but gave us 3 40 gig blocks ($15.00) a month for a year.

5. While Bell's web site indicates that the $5.00 bundle saving is included in the web pricing; the $5.00 bundle saving is taken off of the bundle page. The prices shown in my chart are actually $5.00 lower.

The point is this. It might be worth a try to get Bell to either give you a second Internet service at new customer pricing for 12 months (the Bell web site says they offer 6 months) and possibly give you the same pricing on your existing Internet and have them include some blocks of bandwidth.

For Fibe 25 that would be $32.47 per month for 100 gigs, and a free modem. If you could negotiate 80 gigs extra included, that's 140 gigs on 2 lines - 280 gigs for $64.94 minus $5.00 bundle = $59.94. Also get them to waive the activation fee of $49.95. $49.95 installation fee is already included at no charge.

For and extra $10.00 add another 80 gigs for a total of 360 gigs for $69.95.

I can hear some of you laughing but you can negotiate with Bell. Some CSR's are better to deal with than others. If you don't get what you want, wait a week or three and try again.

With Cogeco I managed to get 2 High def cable boxes for 12 months ($9.95 x 12 x 2 +13% tax = $269.85 in savings) and we only have TV service from Cogeco).

Negotiation is the art of making a good case for your benefit and if Bell says no; the answer is no. However, that does not mean no forever, wait a while and try again. If you decide to call Bell, make sure you know who Bell's competition is and call them and find out what they will offer that is NOT posted on their web site.

Simply, you need to know as many answers to potential questions before you talk to Bell. Be persistent, make your case, threaten to leave (if that is an option), get as far as you can with the CSR, ask to talk with a supervisor if you need to, use your long relationship with Bell as a lever (if it exists) and ask to be transferred to the loyalty department if you need to.

Good luck.

Rick

Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC
I can affirm that the loyalty department is the way to go if you can't get anywhere with the regular sales reps. They're bound by policy, the loyalty department has almost unlimited freedom to offer you anything. I've gotten deals from them in the past after discussing to which regular CSRs hung up on me.

I mainly left Bell, because customer service was a pain in the a$$: internet traffic counter was WRONG and they did nothing about it.
Apart from that, the price was too high for what I got. Especially because I transfer a lot per month. I can't imagine trading in unlimited traffic for caps any more.

CyberCam

join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tiredofbandw
said by tiredofbandw :

I've racked up a huge amount of fees with bell for going over their limit. $120 in two months and I am tired of it. My limit is currently 250gb so i'm already paying an extra $15 a month for this horseshit. Anything I can do to circumvent bell's BW limits? I tried getting the nexicom login but it was just my luck that the day i called to get one they stopped selling them. So what can I do? Jailbreak the modem? Bribe a tech? Take a baseball bat to the cable box? Anything

I don't mean to rub it in, but I'm with Teksavvy and I have 2x 5Mb/800Kb lines that are MLPPP which I gladly pay $91 a month... I have 300GB a month per line, so I actually have 600GB per month 10Mb/1.6Mb MLPPP.

Anyway, last month was a biggie for me because I hit 500GB, which I don't usually go that high, my average is about the 200GB mark, but the extra is there if I need it.

Do yourself a favor, get the Teksavvy MLPPP if you don't mind buying a couple of TP-Link $25 modems and I $40 to $60 Linksys WRT54G or TP-Link WR1043ND routers. You get highspeed and 600GB per month for under $100. It's fast, reliable and has a lot of wiggle room for those heavy download months.

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
said by CyberCam:

said by tiredofbandw :

I don't mean to rub it in, but I'm with Teksavvy and I have 2x 5Mb/800Kb lines that are MLPPP which I gladly pay $91 a month... I have 300GB a month per line, so I actually have 600GB per month 10Mb/1.6Mb MLPPP.

Anyway, last month was a biggie for me because I hit 500GB, which I don't usually go that high, my average is about the 200GB mark, but the extra is there if I need it.

Do yourself a favor, get the Teksavvy MLPPP if you don't mind buying a couple of TP-Link $25 modems and I $40 to $60 Linksys WRT54G or TP-Link WR1043ND routers. You get highspeed and 600GB per month for under $100. It's fast, reliable and has a lot of wiggle room for those heavy download months.

Unless there's no Cable or higher then 6mbps DSL package in your area... MLPPP doesn't make sense if you want speed or caps, or both.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
reply to tiredofbandw
Acanac.. 16/1 for 46.95$/month. Way to go...

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to recluse1866
said by recluse1866:

I've been a customer since 2005 and I am very happy with them. They are also planning to offer higher speeds soon too.