uniqs

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I sold my ipad 1 and I want to get a new tablet. Ipad 2 or 3 is out of the question as I swore i would never buy an apple product again (reason i sold mine).

Hence im looking for an Android tablet. I went to Best Buy and played around with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but I found that simply sliding screens stuttered a little bit which I found odd since it has a dual-core. My question: is this stuttering normal or is it because somehow this display unit is not up to par for whatever reason?

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

VegasMan

Premium Member

Why not get a Quad Core?
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 34230218
»www.amazon.com/ASUS-Tran ··· 067PLNRQ

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Yes I saw it on display at the Best Buy and I loved it but it wasnt in stock (they only had the display unit). Moreover, I checked Amazon and it isnt in stock either and has like a 28 days wait for it to ship.

Moreover, I sold my ipad1 for $300 and I was looking to only having to put $100 on top (galaxy tab 10.1) rather than $200 on top (transformer prime). I looked at the specs and was perfectly happy with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 on paper, however, as I explained in the OP, I wasnt expecting it to lag with just flicking the screens back and forth...? So again, my question is, is this lag and stuttering in flipping screens normal of the galaxy tab 10.1 or was this display unit not on par with the regular performance of the galaxy tabs?

I ask this because I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone which I keep in perfect and gorgeous conditions, however when I visit any phone store and look at the display unit for the galaxy S2 it looks so horrible and doesnt even look like the same phone I have. Because of this I have always told myself to not trust display units etc. I understand this example is only based on the aesthetics and not performance but I was wondering if something similar could happen that this display galaxy tab 10.1 lagged and stuttered but a new one wouldnt...not sure if im explaining myself?

Thanks.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
That's most likely due to the fact that it's a display unit that has been used and played around with to all hell. Either that or they are using a highly processor intensive live wallpaper, but I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the screen transitions swiping from side to side are as smooth as butter; quick and responsive, fast and smooth. Even my buddy who is a Senior UNIX Developer was playing around it and remarked the same thing about how fast and responsive it is.

Check out this video showing how fast, smooth, and responsive the screen transitions on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 normally are:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· UIDQrjAI

Like I said, the display floor unit is not the norm.

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
My stock 10.1 had stutter out of the box. Rooted running different roms and it's super slick now. Ics or honeycomb roms made a huge difference.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

Yes I saw it on display at the Best Buy and I loved it but it wasnt in stock (they only had the display unit). Moreover, I checked Amazon and it isnt in stock either and has like a 28 days wait for it to ship.

If you can do with Tegra 2 and no cam flash, there are still many 1st Gen Transformers out there that can be got at a bargain.

Just before the official announcement of the Prime I picked up a factory refurbed Transformer with the dock for just over $400 cost of the tablet alone.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
That is certainly a lot snappier than the display unit i used !!

i think i will be perfectly happy with the galaxy tab 10.1 ... is it worth it to pay $100 more for the prime? Assuming i can find it...

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Believe me, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is not one of the top rated Android tablets for nothing.

Just curious though, how much snappier is that vs. the display unit you used? Just want to get an idea of how laggy the display unit you played with was vs. how fast the Galaxy Tab normally is.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Hmm its really hard to explain what i experienced...I would swipe the home screens back and forth to see how it would respond and the only way to describe it would be that it "stuttered". You could see all the icons moving in a "choppy way" and not continuously and fluid. I dont know how else to explain hehe...

Paul928
join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

Paul928

I too was in the market for an Android tablet.....I was in BestBuy, and tried a few including the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, which I found a slight lag also. Of all the tablets that I had a chance to try, I found the Acer Iconia A200 to be VERY responsive....seem to have good build quality, nice form factor, very acceptable screen and was running ICS. At $349.00 I thought it maybe had the best bang for the buck!

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck

Premium Member

I saw the A200 at BestBuy but it looked very bulky and didnt appeal to me aesthetically and so I ignored it. But of course, I can get over the visual stuff if it performs well. I will take a look at it.
Grothendieck

1 edit

1 recommendation

Grothendieck

Premium Member

Does anyone know the reason why the Transformer Primes are not available ANYWHERE? I was in Tampa, FL and I looked at all the BestBuys in the area and none of them had it in stock. I just came back to Miami, FL and the same thing, none of them in stock. Also, Amazon has a 3-4 week wait to be shipped.

I was reading many user reviews and im scared of getting a Prime. People are reporting a lot of wifi issues and performance not on par with what you would expect given the specs of the tablet (4 cores etc).

Just a wild guess, but is this total blackout of availability due to Asus recalling the Primes to fix the wifi issues, or just simply that they sold like hotcakes and they cant keep up with demand?

EDIT: i found the following review:

"Asus knows there is a problem and has stopped shipping Transformer Primes to retail stores. They will first try to convince you it is a software issue, its not, then they will tell you that you have to send it in for repairs! Three weeks! I bought a NEW tablet, I don't want a refurbished tablet. RETURNED!"

which I guess confirms my suspicion that they were pulled from the market to fix the issues, but I understand this is just the word of one person. Anyways, reading stuff like this steers me away from the Prime and towards the Galaxy Tab 10.1

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

I sold my ipad 1 and I want to get a new tablet. Ipad 2 or 3 is out of the question as I swore i would never buy an apple product again (reason i sold mine).

Well good for you, but all I can say is briefly had a Sam 10.1 and quickly ditched ad resold it in favor of the ASUS Transformer... a far superior device.

Probably to a phone person, unaware of what the tab market really is, ASUS has never been in, and SAMSUNG could do much better in.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck
said by Grothendieck:

Just a wild guess, but is this total blackout of availability due to Asus recalling the Primes to fix the wifi issues, or just simply that they sold like hotcakes and they cant keep up with demand?

I'd guess the latter, as the original Transformer is a rock solid device even with now ICS... just as solid as Honeycomb was.

Haven't investigated enough if they really changed the hardware other than Tegra 2 for 3 on the Prime.

But the original TF is still rock solid, even upgraded to ICS, which the PRIME was supposed to be released with but was delayed a month or so.

But again ICS on original has been fine, can't see why it would be a problem on the Prime unless they radically changed the hardware.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Grothendieck

to Grothendieck
Oh please. The Transformer Prime is available everywhere and has been for a while. Asus didn't pull it at all. It's just too in demand to be reliably kept in stock. Shortly Asus will be coming out with an HD screen as well.

Try »nowinstock.net if you are interested in the Prime. I did that and was able to get one from Amazon in a couple of days after signing up. You're missing out if you don't get the Prime over the Samsung, depending on how much you pay. I have both (well, my kids do) and the Prime is a far better tablet.

We paid $315 for the Tab and $499.00 for the Prime and at that price differential that Tab was priced right. But if there's only a $50 dollar difference or so, the Prime is a way better deal.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

If one's only looking at BestBuy, I see it could be tricky, but that elusive $499 price is what BB advertises.
Looks like searches for Amazon talk of $499, but sell much higher from my quick look.

I'm kind of hoping company bonus time in May will be my time to get a Tablet.

I see GAMESTOP is the place to buy it at $499 right now with some free games preloaded! Cool!

67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

If you hold off until May, you may be able to get the new HD version of the Prime (Infinity 700) by then. That's going to be nice at 1920x1200.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to Grothendieck

Premium Member

to Grothendieck

Newegg has the transformer in stock for $399 »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 34230018

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

Also the Infinity is supposed to have a better back that allows the WiFi signal to pass thru better.

Now that I'm employed again I am waiting on this one also.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, that makes sense. I will say though that after the last update, the Asus and the Tab have about the same Wi-Fi reception in our house as far as I've seen.

I'm personally going to wait on the Windows tablets that can run Windows 8 along with Outlook and other Windows apps. I'll pull the trigger on one of those for my personal tablet.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by 67845017:

I'm personally going to wait on the Windows tablets that can run Windows 8 along with Outlook and other Windows apps. I'll pull the trigger on one of those for my personal tablet.

Gasp!
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

It's really the only tablet that's usable for business work.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

It's really the only tablet that's usable for business work.

Not really. There's always the Cisco Cius, which is actually REALLY more suited for business work.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Rbku1QGI
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

2 edits

67845017 (banned)

It's too old now. Besides, it's really kind of crap in that it's too specialized. I think it's worse than the Playbook.

All I need is a tablet that will run Windows apps. Simple. I think the Windows 8 tabs with Intel processors will get the job done.

I guess the Cisco could possibly fit the bill since it's got an Atom processor. But the screen is crappy in resolution. The thing needs a refresh.

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

said by 67845017:

Oh please. The Transformer Prime is available everywhere and has been for a while. Asus didn't pull it at all. It's just too in demand to be reliably kept in stock. Shortly Asus will be coming out with an HD screen as well.

Try »nowinstock.net if you are interested in the Prime. I did that and was able to get one from Amazon in a couple of days after signing up. You're missing out if you don't get the Prime over the Samsung, depending on how much you pay. I have both (well, my kids do) and the Prime is a far better tablet.

We paid $315 for the Tab and $499.00 for the Prime and at that price differential that Tab was priced right. But if there's only a $50 dollar difference or so, the Prime is a way better deal.

"Oh please" what?

"The Transformer Prime is available everywhere"? really? Perhaps you missed the screenshot provided by usa2k See Profile where its not available in any BestBuy. Amazon has a 3-4 week wait to be shipped last time I checked. Right there the "everywhere" is nullified, but given that general language is not so literal in the quantifiers used, I welcome you to find me a place where I could buy it right now. Its not a dare, I would actually love it as I may want one.

I understand the Prime is a far better tablet, but its just logical to worry about the shitload of complaints about the wifi/gps/bluetooth. Over at xda »forum.xda-developers.com ··· =1537260 theres an ASUS representative dealing with the RMAs of the users with wifi/gps/bt issues and at the same time users complaining that they have sent the Prime to Asus and have gotten it back a month later and the problems not fixed.

Check this link: »www.topclassactions.com/ ··· lawsuit- again about wifi/etc.

Im not swearing all of this is true but just the fact there is so much turmoil about it should at least make me rethink if I should actually buy this product.

You said you have the Prime and from what I can gather no problems with it. Congratulations. However, others do have problems with it. All im doing is being cautious and I believe its justified given all the complaints. Given all the reported problems, ASUS acknowledgement of it and lack of it being stock anywhere, i believe it was a plausible assumption that they pulled it from the market. That of course doesnt have to be the case, which is why I left it as an option when I said that "or just simply that they sold like hotcakes and they cant keep up with demand?".

Thats all I wanted to establish.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

It was never pulled and sales never stopped. It's being sold by everyone, but demand keeps availability low. What's so hard to understand?

Grothendieck
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Grothendieck

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

What's so hard to understand?

The reason for the dramatization of your reply with the "oh please" when I merely pointed out a plausible explanation while at the same time acknowledging that it could just be too much demand for little supply.

I was just "curious" like this guy over at xda: "Is anyone STILL curious why stock is STILL so low? Please don't say it is just selling incredibly fast. All the stores around me have never even really had a stock, amazon has been tapped out since the beginning of march."

I dont want this to get locked so: OK i get it, the Prime is a great tablet (certainly agree given the specs), but it has some problems (rather important i would say: wifi) and so im still not sure if to get it and take my chances. Still weighing my options.

Thanks.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I wouldn't get it. Just wait for the next gen.