uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to sficca

Re: Please review my 1st build in 8 years. Desktop for Windows.

said by sficca:

-RAM: 16Gb...

In your original and your revised setup you didn't mention anything about the RAM speed. This will make a difference and you have to ensure your MB can keep up. 1600 would be a nice minimum to shoot for, but 1333 is very common - just not as good. So if you were to get say 8G but faster memory that your MB can support, I'd recommend that over 16G and slower - if the price is the same or even cheaper.

You also have AMD as an option if you're not stuck on Intel.

sficca

join:2001-08-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL

RAM: 16Gb. Kingston Technology HyperX 16 GB Kit (4x4 GB Modules) 16 Quad Channel Kit 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX

My understanding is that AMD doesn't have a competitive option to the Intel desktop processors, as they once did.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to bbear2

said by bbear2:

said by sficca:

-RAM: 16Gb...

In your original and your revised setup you didn't mention anything about the RAM speed. This will make a huge difference and you have to ensure your MB can keep up. 1600 would be a nice minimum to shoot for, but 1333 is very common - just not as good. So if you were to get say 8G but faster memory that your MB can support, I'd recommend that over 16G and slower - if the price is the same or even cheaper.

You also have AMD as an option if you're not stuck on Intel.

Benchmarks have shown that for 1155 boards, memory speed means little to nothing.

sficca

join:2001-08-08
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by bbear2:

...Benchmarks have shown that for 1155 boards, memory speed means little to nothing.

Yeah; it's my understanding, from TWIT-TV's show "TWICH" - "This Week in Computer Hardware", that memory speed doesn't matter much any more because latency relative to transfer speed is so high. Price difference reflects this too - there's little premium paid now for faster RAM.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to sficca

said by sficca:

-Use: Power office user, small/light .NET development with VS 2010, multi-multi-tab web surfing (with Active-X, Java, Flash, HTML5), Web Apps use, gMail, Facebook, YouTube-HD, Media Player (AVI, WMV, DivX, MP3).

My understanding is that AMD doesn't have a competitive option to the Intel desktop processors, as they once did.

If you were speaking of a super high end gaming system maybe, but for your use AMD has pelnty of options. Also, if you ever need any help with the chip, the AMD guys (yes you can call support and talk to a live knowledgeable person) are awesome and will even help out with MB and other component selection. You won't get that from Intel .