uniqs
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to Pbert35

Premium Member

to Pbert35

Re: Holy AT&T Caps!

Or downloading Steam games or watching HD video or who knows what the future beholds. Remember when Bill Gates supposedly said that "640K ought to be enough for anybody" ? Well think about how computing would be today if Bill Gates somehow figured out a way to overcharge for anything more than 640K? We'd be stuck in 1981. Same goes for these ridiculous caps. Anyone can say that "Only NASA or the DoD would need that much data." Well even though that's not even true for 2012, if these caps keep going on, we will be stuck in 2012 forever.

Think about it. Remember when dial-up was charged per-minute? Remember when technology made a step forward and gave unlimited usage for dial-up? Remember when broadband came around? It was also unlimited, for the majority of time that it has been around. These caps are a step backward, with the only reason being that big cable co's are afraid of the Internet making their TV services obsolete. In their futile attempt at making sure that doesn't happen, they came up with the idea of caps.

There is no congestion on networks, and even if there are, that's what our hard-earned cash pays them for, to maintain and upgrade their networks. Cable companies have come up with the "brilliant" assertion that only pirates and nerds use up "so much" data, as a way to shill for the cable/telcos. It's a win-win for them.

caps are a step backward, and if they persist, well I hope you like the Internet the way it is today, as it will be forever in limbo (or at the very least, advancements will be slowed down drastically.) So keep asserting that only nerds/physicists need such data usage. All you are doing is helping to line the cable co/telcos' pockets.
Pbert35
join:2012-02-29
Spring, TX

Pbert35

Well for DOS 1.0 640k was fine and memory was expensive. As things went on, we needed more. As cost of memory went, memory requirements and recommendations of how much memory went up( I'd never think until built a system with Vista Ultimate 64 that I would ever need more than 1GB of RAM). I will say this, it's bloody expensive to upgrade Cable and Telco's to that latest technology. It's cheaper to upgrade a Satellite system than Cable and Telco's. If it was less expensive to upgrade Cable to DOCCIS 3.0 and DSL to VDSL2, then costs of service. It the same with anything, if it costs more to add service, it costs more for the service. For me, 10-50 GB's of Data a month on my internet connection. How about, give those heavy movie streamers a package with no threat of caps. That way, we don't download often or stream movies often, can get a break. No need for caps, give the customers what they want.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to WhyMe420

Premium Member

to WhyMe420
I could even understand a 1 Gb/s for small business or hospitals sending MRIs or maybe even some home use. No one needs a terabit connection at home. At least not now or the near future.
Pbert35
join:2012-02-29
Spring, TX

Pbert35

Of course, this is coming in 2020, so we don't what we need in connection in 8 years.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to Jon5

to Jon5
hospitals and doctors offices are suppose to have a fast and dedicated wiredconnection for that. generally its a private connection for EMR access but no where a gig. could be done on a 5/5 connection.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

How do you have a fast and dedicated wired connection if some clinic in CA is sending MRIs to the Mayo Clinic? I wasn't talking about sending stuff over LAN.