uniqs
share rss forum feed

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

[Rant] $&!%* Re-Captcha!

It's been a year since anyone's ranted about this, so I feel justified. I just hit "refresh" 27 times on a Re-Captcha screen before i got two words I could even take a guess at (I guess wrong). It's for work and I have no choice in ditching the site provider, but hot damn, that pisses me off.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
There have been some sites I have given up on due to their captcha. One of those is Norton forum which has an alternate way of contact.. i.e. send an email "which should be answered within 24-48 hours" three weeks and waiting.

That is the only one I think I tried quite a few times before just giving up completely. Most sites with those hard to read ones aren't worth even trying.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
What gets me is that there are companies that really want information from you but if you can't make out the captcha words how can they expect to receive the information?

Don't they ever try it?
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to jester121
I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip. I too sometimes give up after a few tries, but there have been times I had to get to a site so I sat there and refreshed it dozens of times.

I wish they used more of the simple math or logic questions where most people can understand what the site is asking.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to jester121
fucking captchas on a mobile site! that's the fucking worst thing ever. especially when you rely heavily on a well trained text prediction app. whoever puts captchas on mobile sites should be taken out back and shot

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to jester121
The whole point of recaptcha is for you to figure out words that couldn't be read by OCR.

One of the words is known and you need to type that word correctly. The other word is unknown. If you get it close enough, you're good to go.

At the end of the day, recaptcha scores all of the unknown words based on what everyone typed.

I always mistype the unknown word. F*ck if they are going to get free work out of me.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to jester121
You only need to get one word right. Either of them.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to jester121
I don't mind them much, except when they set it up to where you can't read the letters/numbers in the captcha!

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I've never seen that.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
said by jadinolf:

said by cowboyro:

I've never seen that.

Neither have I. Care to elaborate on this?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
said by mareastrum:

said by jadinolf:

said by cowboyro:

I've never seen that.

Neither have I. Care to elaborate on this?

In theory one word is known by the system and one isn't. In practice both are known most times, but one is known with less confidence.
If you get one word right odds are that you validate either the known word or the assumed word - but you validate something.
You can also be off by one letter.
Try at »www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

2 recommendations

reply to jester121
Yes, I find re-Captcha to be annoying. I'm sure it's probably one of the most effective anti-spam techniques but it's the slowest, and most irritating, especially when the site has it implemented poorly!

Absolutely maddening: When a failed Re-Captcha guess clears the data on the form you entered so you have to do it again. That's super poor site implementation.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to jester121
Two of the 27 times, the words were in Arabic and a couple days ago, one was a calculus equation. Fucking bullshit....

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to jester121
It took me a couple of people posting for figure out what was being talked about. And yes, I hate that stupid shit . I'm trying to access that particular website for a reason .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to cowboyro
Doesn't seem to bear out in my fiddling with it.

You need to get the word with the blotch behind it right, or very close. The clear word is completely ignored, as far as I can tell.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
said by sivran:

Doesn't seem to bear out in my fiddling with it.

You need to get the word with the blotch behind it right, or very close. The clear word is completely ignored, as far as I can tell.

hmm might have to try that the next time I run into one of these.

Captcha is fine but those with the very twisted words with the color backgrounds are by far the worst!
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to jester121
said by jester121:

It's been a year since anyone's ranted about this, so I feel justified. I just hit "refresh" 27 times on a Re-Captcha screen before i got two words I could even take a guess at (I guess wrong). It's for work and I have no choice in ditching the site provider, but hot damn, that pisses me off.

tinypic used to have them but now they got a nicer captcha.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jester121
Cats haha

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to jester121
being legally blind, i absolutely DESPIZE captchas. oh sure some of them have the "alternate audio method" that i have to crank my speakers to max and hope to hell i figure them out. i mean really, must they have them speak the words/numbers so freaking low compared to the background noise you can barely make them out?

jester121
Premium
Lake Zurich, IL
said by thedragonmas:

being legally blind, i absolutely DESPIZE captchas. oh sure some of them have the "alternate audio method" that i have to crank my speakers to max and hope to hell i figure them out. i mean really, must they have them speak the words/numbers so freaking low compared to the background noise you can barely make them out?

An excellent point, which I mentioned in the bitch fest I directed at the software vendor who hard coded Re-Captcha into their web interface -- a real problem for a site that's subject to 508 accessibility requirements.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip.

As a site administrator myself and a forum admin on a website I help out I can tell you that helps prevent hundreds upon hundreds of spam bots from signing up every month. It's something I have to deal with on daily basis and its not fun. It's something I have been going very easy on with my site. I don't have it set that strict so some do get through the captcha.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to sivran
The second word is actually a word scanned from a book that was not recognized by the OCR software. If you get the actual captcha word right they assume the word scan is right and update the online book scan word. That is the "Re" in Re-Captcha, using it for more than just security validation.

I can tell you that without captcha the site would get spammed into oblivion as I have had to resort to it on many of my websites as well just to slow down the stem of spambots etc.

Hopefully there will be a better way someday.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to jester121
What's wrong with using those things like what's 4+2=? type questions?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by Subaru:

What's wrong with using those things like what's 4+2=? type questions?

bots can be coded to solve math stuff.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to jester121

We all know who to blame for these captchas: FUCKA SPAMMERS

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to CptGemini

Re: [Rant] $&!%* Re-Captcha!

said by CptGemini:

said by neonturbo:

I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip.

As a site administrator myself and a forum admin on a website I help out I can tell you that helps prevent hundreds upon hundreds of spam bots from signing up every month. It's something I have to deal with on daily basis and its not fun. It's something I have been going very easy on with my site. I don't have it set that strict so some do get through the captcha.

for the user account creation? does it have the whole "if you cant read this, or hear this, click this link to have us create an account for you" thing? if so, does any one actually monitor that account? ive had a few places where i just flat out could not make out the captcha at all and tryd that method, never heard from them.

i get using it to help prevent spam bots, but as a wordpress blog owner/admin i know that akismet works better than captcha, youd be surprised by how many bots get past the captcha thanks to "services" that pay people to sit on the computer and solve captchas all day...

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
reply to jester121
Ya think that's bad, check this one out....

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to thedragonmas
our forum uses phpbb, i have tried to add mods to it to help prevent more spam but they all take too long. i wanted to use re-captcha since it does a better job at fooling the bots but it doesnt work right now. it'll show captchas for a bit then it won't be there at all.

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

reply to jester121
The point of a captcha, is basically the same as the point of anti piracy software.

And what is truly sad, is captchas work precisely as well, which is not at all.

I go to a game site precisely to laugh at the total lack of success they have in defeating automated spam bots that leave messages that almost look like a human typed them. It's incredible how they get spammed every damned day. It's a commercial forum, and yet they are defenseless against the spam. They have a sub forum for news announcements, and yet the site seems to have not one person that has the ability to understand 'you can always disabled comments and lock the threads out to all bu the management'.

So as a result, seeing that a new comment has been made to a news thread, usually just means it was spammed. It kills the worth of a news sub forum. Does a fine job of making the company management also look clumsy and unskilled too.

There ARE methods that can defeat captchas, but the site management requires sufficient brains and IQ level to elect to use them.

But that is the same deal with anti piracy methods I suppose. Just because a company was capable of opening business, doesn't mean the company is run by people with brains. Fools and their money are soon parted. And the business world is full of fools indeed.

I loathe captchas, and generally will walk away when required to employ one. I rarely need something on the internet that badly.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to CptGemini
said by CptGemini:

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

Add ZBBLOCK to your php based forum. It is amazing.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com