uniqs
share rss forum feed

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Not worth it

I do not really see the purpose of having a Pentium 4 router for home internet connections. They're power hungry plus the cpu usage will be minimal at best, I mean, how many active torrents will someone have at once?

An ASUS RT-N16 router with the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware is more than enough in my opinion, your electricity bill will thank you.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Quake110:

I do not really see the purpose of having a Pentium 4 router for home internet connections. They're power hungry plus the cpu usage will be minimal at best, I mean, how many active torrents will someone have at once?

An ASUS RT-N16 router with the Tomato or DD-WRT firmware is more than enough in my opinion, your electricity bill will thank you.

good point... I had no idea how much money I was spending until I switched back from a monowall box to a Netgear WNDR3700.... it was costing me about $10 a month to power it!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Quake110
Exactly. This stuff is awesome, but you need something like a low-power Mini-ITX machine or a laptop to run it on.

belawrence
They'll never let you in

join:2000-08-06
Santee, CA
reply to odog
My Atom-based pfSense w/Compact Flash storage, gigabit LAN + WAN ports, and 1GB RAM draws 14-18 watts, depending on the situation. It's worth it to me as I can't find a similar spec'd device that can run Snort, multiple ipsec tunnels, NUT, and QOS without needing constant reboots. The only time I reboot it is after one of the infrequent firmware upgrades.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to odog
said by odog:

good point... I had no idea how much money I was spending until I switched back from a monowall box to a Netgear WNDR3700.... it was costing me about $10 a month to power it!

Newer hardware is significantly better, particularly the Intel Sandybridge CPUs. A G630T system w/ DDR3 ram, SSD storage, and high efficiency power supply will idle around 20W and absolutely obliterate an Atom processor in benchmarks. Most handy if you want to run snort and other services on the box.

I actually run my linux router image as a Xen VM on a box that I use for home NAS to get the biggest bang for the buck.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by espaeth:

Newer hardware is significantly better, particularly the Intel Sandybridge CPUs. A G630T system w/ DDR3 ram, SSD storage, and high efficiency power supply will idle around 20W and absolutely obliterate an Atom processor in benchmarks. Most handy if you want to run snort and other services on the box.

Wait...you're suggesting using that hardware for a router? Crap. I just had almost that exact same hardware (G620T instead of the G630T) delivered today as my entire HTPC.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to belawrence
That makes more sense. A full Pentium system doesn't. The best would be one of those fanless VIA systems that you can get down to about 8 watts.

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to odog
Are there not ARM builds for any of these? The newer models are getting quite quick, the Cortex-A15 is designed to be a 2.5Ghz quad core with a GPU that supports OpenCL, would make for a fairly high performance per watt box.

If not I'd look for board built around an AMD Z-03 or Z-01 for as low power an x64 system as you can really get.