spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon823

@mich.net

And that data usage...

"Monthly service starts at $60 a month but comes with a 10 gigabyte cap" »Verizon Announces Fixed Residential LTE Service

So Are they going to count redbox on your data cap or is it going to be beside the cap? Either way they do it they will have a hard time justifying their data prices...

Let's say it's $4 a movie to rent. An HD movie shown at 1GB. So to use 10GB of data it's only going to cost you $40 if you want to use redbox. If I want to watch the same amout on netflix it's going to cost $60.

If it does use your data cap then no one will want to use the service since it's far too costly for them to use.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
said by anon823 :

An HD movie shown at 1GB.

HD Movie at 1GB?! With what codec and compression settings?
Try 4 (for decent 720p). 2-3 conservatively speaking and compressed to hell with low-quality AAC audio.

anon823

@mich.net
Yea that's is part of my point... It's probably going to use at least 2GB for the movie, and probably have to be priced less than that to compete with the Kiosks...

I'd have to guess they are going to want to charge that bandwidth against you to try to push you into a higher data tier... Less tech savvy people might not be able to add up how much it's really going to cost them to use the service.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to anon823
said by anon823 :

"Monthly service starts at $60 a month but comes with a 10 gigabyte cap" »Verizon Announces Fixed Residential LTE Service

LOL. This is why I laugh at this joke called "Fixed residential LTE service". It's next to useless with these caps.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

said by anon823 :

An HD movie shown at 1GB.

HD Movie at 1GB?! With what codec and compression settings?
Try 4 (for decent 720p). 2-3 conservatively speaking and compressed to hell with low-quality AAC audio.

No kidding. A standard single layer DVD is 4.7GB, and that's 480p. If an HD movie could have fit in 1GB, Blu-ray would have never been needed.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to 34764170
Exactly. Anyone who thinks wireless is a viable alternative to wireline service for home broadband is either living in a dream world or a very light user. With current wireless service caps, combined with the ever-increasing array of Internet-connected devices in the home, streaming video, et al., a 10GB monthly allowance is flat-out ridiculous.

Which is exactly why providers want everyone using it instead of wireline service. They stand to make huge profits on overage gigs, which they'll all charge a similarly unreasonable amount for.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I switch to wireless broadband for my entire home. Either that, or someday after I win the lotto and feel like flushing handfuls of cash down the latrine.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by anon823 :

LOL. This is why I laugh at this joke called "Fixed residential LTE service". It's next to useless with these caps.

But is will also be cheaper than the Satellite broadband which is their competition.

Etobicoke, ON
said by aaronwt:

But is will also be cheaper than the Satellite broadband which is their competition.

Sat broadband is a complete and utter joke.

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to amarryat
said by amarryat:

No kidding. A standard single layer DVD is 4.7GB, and that's 480p. If an HD movie could have fit in 1GB, Blu-ray would have never been needed.

No kidding??! 1GB for a 720p HD movie would be *awful* never mind 1080p. No thanks.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40

1 recommendation

reply to banditws6
said by banditws6:

It'll be a cold day in hell when I switch to wireless broadband for my entire home. Either that, or someday after I win the lotto and feel like flushing handfuls of cash down the latrine.

The whole point is to reduce competition and reduce choices until you are only left with expensive, capped choices.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

Etobicoke, ON
said by tim_k:

The whole point is to reduce competition and reduce choices until you are only left with expensive, capped choices.

Well that's pretty darn obvious to anyone with a clue.