Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit

Cars

I'm looking at getting rid of my Chevy Equinox for a car since my round trip is 82 a day.

I just wanted comments on the following. I haven't ridden in all these yet but got some recommendations from friends. Trying to stay at 22k or lower not counting the trade in.

Subaru Impreza
Honda Civic
Chevy Cruze
Ford Fusion - may not be in my budget
Hyundai Sonata or Elantra

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
My wife has a 2011 Fusion SE. It's not loaded, but nicely equipped with a V6, a/c, sunroof, satellite radio, etc.

She absolutely loves it, and I can see why. It drives really nice, and other than oil changes it's never been back to the dealer for anything.

I'd highly recommend it.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to gdm
I don't have any of these but have ridden in a friends Hyundai Sonata. They're pretty damn nice IMO.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I'm going to look at Honda/Hyundai at lunch dealer has both by my work. I'm hoping to hit Ford, Chevy and Subaru this weekend.

I've heard good things about the Fusion, Civic and Cruze. Don't know many people that have a Hyundai and few that have Subaru just not the Impreza.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
Aren't Subarus expensive?
What about a Volkswagen Touareg? Though I think those are pricey as well.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Subaru Impreza is the first model, starting at 17k.

Both Hyundais are really nice.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
My sister has a '10 Fusion and likes it a lot.
I had a '11 Fusion SEL for a week while in Vegas last year and really liked it also. We drove it down to Phoenix and it did great on MPG and was very comfortable. I'm 6ft 270lbs so I'm not a small boy.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

bakalao2k
Premium
join:2001-03-20
Chicago, IL
reply to gdm
said by gdm:

I'm going to look at Honda/Hyundai at lunch dealer has both by my work. I'm hoping to hit Ford, Chevy and Subaru this weekend.

I've heard good things about the Fusion, Civic and Cruze. Don't know many people that have a Hyundai and few that have Subaru just not the Impreza.

I own a Civic and it is has great gas mileage.
--
"Don't hate the player, hate the game..."

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to gdm
Subarus are a lot of fun to drive, but I don't think they're good on gas (compared to your other choices), unless you buy a gimped model.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
You may also want to look at the Mazda 3 with SkyActive series.

You may also want to look at some of the related versions of some listed:
Hyundai Elantra/Kia Forte
Mazda 3/Ford Focus (not as closely related as they used to be)
Chevy Cruze/Buick Verano

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
reply to jester121
The 2012 Impreza gets 27/36.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to gdm
I like my Scion xB if that counts for anything. It was only about 18k.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
One thing I found out it is the Elantra and Cruze have no spare tire. Less weight better fuel.

I have a mid level Elantra at 13,500 and sonata just under 16 mid level as well. That's with trading in the SUV.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to gdm
The 2010 was around 19/23 if I recall correctly, so they've clearly been busy. I see the '12 has a CVT which made a big difference for sure, even up to 2011 some Subarus still had kind of crappy 4 speed auto transmissions (no OD) which wasn't helping economy.

djtim21
It's all good
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL
reply to gdm
I have a 2011 Fusion SE with the 2.5 4 cylinder with the 6 speed trans. I get average daily driving 27 and 31 highway. I love it. I have the Sync system, and it's great with my Android phone. I've had no issues.

With the millage that you put on, I would suggest getting the Ford ESP (extended warranty). I did not purchase up front, but from the base 3 years 36k, and to extend 3 more years or 100k with zero deductible is only $2600. That's a Ford warranty, not a third party product.
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

jmdomini
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL
reply to gdm
Drove a brand new 2012 Chevy Cruze for a week while my HHR was getting worked on. Thought it was very comfortable, loved the high-tech feel to dash. Fully integrated bluetooth for your cell phone, satellite radio, I believe Onstar as well. The on thing that spoiled it for me was the erratic automatic transmission. It had a bad habit of not wanting to downshift when needed (like for passing) combined with downshifting way too much all of a sudden.

I've been told that the Cruze has an adaptive transmission and it was a symptom of someone having driven the p*%s out of it. Would have learned itself out after more normal driving. Not sure if I believe that.

I've also spent some quality time in the Subaru Impreza. It's pretty plain Jane feature wise, but it's an awesome machine! Especially if you take it out past where the blacktop ends.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to bakalao2k
said by bakalao2k:

I own a Civic and it is has great gas mileage.

I love my Civic. Great gas mileage and maintenance costs are very cheap. Recommended oil change frequency is every 7k-10k miles depending on driving style. My dealer has me go by the maintenance minder which seems to average around every 8k miles.
--
"I want to legalize freedom" – Ron Paul

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gdm
Ended up getting a Chevy Cruze Eco. The fusion was a bit more than I wanted to spend and not that good of gas mileage.

Subaru handled fairly well but the Cruze fit my needs. I was a bit shocked actually at how comfortable it was, handled and the quietness on the highway.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by gdm:

Ended up getting a Chevy Cruze Eco. The fusion was a bit more than I wanted to spend and not that good of gas mileage.

Not knocking your decision but when you compare the MPG of the Fusion and the Cruze it's an apples to oranges comparison.
The Cruze is a compact car and the fusion is mid-size. The Ford counterpart to the Cruze Eco is the Focus SFE and the SFE has better MPG and is cheaper than the Cruze Eco.
--

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Actually the Fusion doesn't get as high MPG as the Cruze. The I4S gets 34, the I4SE gets 33 well they are rated that way. I talked to some friends that have the SE and they told me the best they've gotten is 35 high way driving sometimes 36 depending on speed.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
said by gdm:

Actually the Fusion doesn't get as high MPG as the Cruze. The I4S gets 34, the I4SE gets 33 well they are rated that way. I talked to some friends that have the SE and they told me the best they've gotten is 35 high way driving sometimes 36 depending on speed.

I know the Fusion doesn't get the same MPG as the Cruze. I was talking about the Focus. It is the same class as the Cruze and has better MPG and is cheaper.
--

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Missed that. I tried a focus that someone has and it wasn't as comfortable and the pickup wasn't the same as the Cruze ECO. With what I wanted they actually priced out abut the same.

The non Cruze ECO was the same as the Focus. The Cruze ECO you just feel no difference when changing gears and the RPMs don't get as high because of the battery. For me and highway driving it felt better. I like what Ford has with the Sync and the interiors depending on the model are a bit better then Chevy.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
I'm wondering, was this an emergency replacement? I'm wondering why you seemed to rush into buying a new car. Given how VERY competitive the compact class is recently, you really need to spend some time checking out the various models, and their variations.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I've been looking for weeks, talking to various people I know and researching. My plan was to buy this week so it wasn't rushed by any means. It came down to mpg, comfort for being in the car at least two hours a day and some pickup for highway driving.

It averaged 38 for the roundtrip and 40 on the highway.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Does anyone know much about the Suzuki Kizashi or the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? I never thought I would hear myself ever asking about a Suzuki or Hyundai car. How things change!

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
The Genesis is 20/31 or 18/28 depending on model. The Hyundai's were nice I tested. The Kizashi varies 20 to 23 city and 28 to 31 depending on model. My Chevy dealer has Suzuki's as well and they looked nice.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to scooby
said by scooby:

Does anyone know much about the Suzuki Kizashi or the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? I never thought I would hear myself ever asking about a Suzuki or Hyundai car. How things change!

The Genesis is so freaking awesome.

My cousin has the coupe version. It has an extremely tiny trunk and back seat. So it won't fit more than 3 people total, comfortably. It's an older model and I believe they simplified the dash in the later years (leather comes standard now!). It used to be complex looking with dozens of buttons everywhere.

The drive is great. He has the 2.0 turbo version and it's fast. It's only 4 cylinder, but man that thing can gun it.

I barrowed it for a week and you would not believe the comments I would get. I would just be in a parking lot getting out and someone would come over to tell me how cool they think it looks and if I liked it? Never had that happen to me before owning a car.

If my family needed a full size luxury sedan, I would def. have the Genesis on that list. You're right, how far Hyundai has come... I would recommend either the Sedan or Coupe depending on your needs.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
I hope you have a fire extinguisher!

»content.usatoday.com/communities···kztmibQM

Feds probes fires in Chevy Cruze, Jeep Wrangler

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
2011, not 2012

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to gdm

Update

Just thought I would post an update. Cruze has been really great so far and getting better mileage than expected. Here is a picture of my fill up yesterday.

Took 13.648 gallons so so 42.5mpg vs. the car saying 42.8. I was stuck in construction for a few days so I think I can get over 43mpg and 600 miles on a single tank.

Last fuelup