uniqs
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA

Re: Here's the law

said by Jack_in_VA:

That is what people have to understand. If you want a service then you have to allow the infrastructure to provide it. The court was right.

Which is exactly why “Smart Meters” and the AMI/AMR infrastructure should be exempted from any “local” regulations as well, it is the same theory you just mentioned, if you want it delivered, this is how you are going to get it delivered.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by 49528867:

said by Jack_in_VA:

That is what people have to understand. If you want a service then you have to allow the infrastructure to provide it. The court was right.

Which is exactly why “Smart Meters” and the AMI/AMR infrastructure should be exempted from any “local” regulations as well, it is the same theory you just mentioned, if you want it delivered, this is how you are going to get it delivered.

Wayne

It doesn't take a "smart meter" to deliver electricity, water or gas to my home as wireless cell and data services require antennas placed in strategic places to provide effective coverage . Big difference.

It's up to the customers if they possibly want to pay more instead of allowing the intrusion of their hourly or minute activity. All they need to know is the total used in the billing period. Nothing more. Utilities exist only to serve the needs of their customers not the utilities being the masters of the customers.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

private utilities are beholden to their shareholders, nothing more or less.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by AVD:

private utilities are beholden to their shareholders, nothing more or less.

"As any public company is". Nothing more, nothing less and to expect anything other is foolish.

I guess must states are the same as Virginia. The state will guarantee the utility makes a certain amount of profit and will allow rates that allow them do it.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

It doesn't take a "smart meter" to deliver electricity, water or gas to my home as wireless cell and data services require antennas placed in strategic places to provide effective coverage . Big difference.

Sorry no difference, as part of an overall transmission and distribution interface Smart Meters are just as critical as Micro-Cells or DAS.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by 49528867:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Sorry no difference, as part of an overall transmission and distribution interface Smart Meters are just as critical as Micro-Cells or DAS.

Wayne

Nope you're wrong but you would never admit to it.

Wireless has to be close to the user for the service to work. Electricity, water, gas, air, can be delivered without any meter at all. All that would be needed is a fixed amount to enable the utility to make a profit for the shareholders. Nothing more.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

I think I agree with Wayne on this one. The realtime data that utilities gather from their smartmeter deployments will allow them to increase power quality by focusing repair efforts more effectively. From "dying gasp" messages sent at the beginning of an outage to data on momentary dropouts, this will be a big asset for them. I'd say it's about on par with the DAS discussed here.

BGE will be replacing my old mechanical meter in the next few months. Just got the letter in the mail this week.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

I think I agree with Wayne on this one. The realtime data that utilities gather from their smartmeter deployments will allow them to increase power quality by focusing repair efforts more effectively. From "dying gasp" messages sent at the beginning of an outage to data on momentary dropouts, this will be a big asset for them. I'd say it's about on par with the DAS discussed here.

BGE will be replacing my old mechanical meter in the next few months. Just got the letter in the mail this week.

Our POCO has a very effective phone outage notification system. They don't need to spend the millions required to replace the meters they just replaced a few years ago to allow remote reading.

As with anything there can be many justifications thrown in to mask the true intent which IMO is not notification of an outage.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Electricity, water, gas, air, can be delivered without any meter at all.

While it can be done without a meter, it is neither practical nor wise to try and do so, the meter or more specifically, a smart meter provides end point data which with each passing day becomes more valuable to a power utility, without such data capacity managers and planners are really in the dark as to what is coming their way until it actually hits them.

As it is now power utilities are in a quandary as to how to manage connecting electric vehicles to their grid, they know for example it will only take a few vehicles per transformer to overload residential distribution and without the deployment of smart meters to shift those loads later into the evening when overall consumption is reduced, the alternative being monitoring overload induced outages to drive feeder and transformer upgrades, the cost of which would be burdened by all the ratepayers not those driving the need for the upgrades.

As such the need for the smart meter is quite real, and the day will come when the DOE will step in and overrule the local authorities who are carving out exemptions to the deployment of those meters much in the same manner to which the FCC has overruled local zoning boards over the deployment of communications facilities.

Wayne

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Our POCO has a very effective phone outage notification system. They don't need to spend the millions required to replace the meters they just replaced a few years ago to allow remote reading.

As with anything there can be many justifications thrown in to mask the true intent which IMO is not notification of an outage.

When I'm not home I can't call if power is out. Meanwhile my fridge is getting warmer.

I like that they know when power is out.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

3 edits

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

When I'm not home I can't call if power is out. Meanwhile my fridge is getting warmer.

How many times does that happen? I've been here since 1989 and had many power failures and only lost food one time and that was after Isabel when the power was out 17 days and no meter smart or not would have made any difference one way or the other . Besides I have insurance to cover a "REAL" loss. You're grasping at straws. Your opinion is your opinion only and is subject to review by others.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

How many times does that happen? I've been here since 1989 and had many power failures and only lost food one time and that was after Isabel when the power was out 17 days and no meter smart or not would have made any difference one way or the other . Besides I have insurance to cover a "REAL" loss. You're grasping at straws. Your opinion is your opinion only and is subject to review by others.

Others like myself have several power outages per year due the weather or due to people running their trucks into power poles.

We do have a smart meter, but all our power is underground for several miles, so the power company only gets the power readings when they drive up our roads with their antenna pointing at houses or cabins in the forests.

When the power is out for more than a few hours, our CenturyLink phones no longer work. We have no phone service, we have no cell service, we have no power.

So if these meters help us in the surrounding areas to get power back quicker, then its ok by us.

A claim on insurance makes the premium go up, or at least stops it going down.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by toby:

Others like myself have several power outages per year due the weather or due to people running their trucks into power poles.

We do have a smart meter, but all our power is underground for several miles, so the power company only gets the power readings when they drive up our roads with their antenna pointing at houses or cabins in the forests.

When the power is out for more than a few hours, our CenturyLink phones no longer work. We have no phone service, we have no cell service, we have no power.

So if these meters help us in the surrounding areas to get power back quicker, then its ok by us.

A claim on insurance makes the premium go up, or at least stops it going down.

quote:
Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator. We have never been without phone service even after Isabel when the power was out 17 days.

I don't recall ever having a problem reporting an outage so the smart meter argument is just a smoke screen for the real reason to deploy them.

After having a claim then for lost food the adjuster said that events like that (Power failures) due to weather have no effect on individual rates going up.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator.

Its not the size of the generator, its the size of the fuel tank.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator.

Its not the size of the generator, its the size of the fuel tank.

Very true but they managed to keep it going for 17 days. However the generators they put on their POTS electronic switches kept being stolen almost as fast as they put them on.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

49528867 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

Very true but they managed to keep it going for 17 days. However the generators they put on their POTS electronic switches kept being stolen almost as fast as they put them on.

That’s bullshit, switches in a central office or MTSO have their own on-site generators.

As to the field where remote terminals or sites are powered by generators that are tied down and booted.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Are you saying i'm lying? Ok mods this is a flame. I don't know what your problem is Wayne but you have one.

You weren't here and I was very much without POTS many times due to batteries running down because generator at the switch 2-1/2 miles from me was stolen. They cut the chains to get them.