Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to fatness

Re: Voluntary forum bans

said by mod_wastrel:

It's unlikely that the capability exists for anonymous users since most, if not all, such "individual user" features require that you be signed in. (I won't assume that you've registered given your current "state".)

I've been registered for over decade and have over 30,000 posts. I deactivated my account due to the reasons I can't mention. I was considering reactivating my account if the capability I asked about was available. It's not, so I guess I won't.

said by SqueeksDad:

You could always insult Fatness or one of his immediate family members. That would earn you at least a couple of days of no forum access.

Been there, done that. He didn't cut me off, he simply ignored my IMs.

said by fatness:

There's currently no way to do this, no. And it's unlikely that there will be one since the perceived need is so limited.

OK, that's what I figured. Thanks.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

2 recommendations

said by aannoonn :

said by mod_wastrel:

It's unlikely that the capability exists for anonymous users since most, if not all, such "individual user" features require that you be signed in. (I won't assume that you've registered given your current "state".)

I've been registered for over decade and have over 30,000 posts. I deactivated my account due to the reasons I can't mention. I was considering reactivating my account if the capability I asked about was available. It's not, so I guess I won't.

"Reactivating" your account isn't a trivial act. You'd have to convince an admin to manually do it for you, and it doesn't happen often. Dramaciding and then begging for your account back is one step below dramaciding and then hanging around the site posting anonymously afterward, but at least it's not as cowardly.

If you want to hide the hot topics that appear at the bottom of pages (why would you? It's beneath the footer so you never have to see it), you can probably make an adblock rule for that specific table. If you're referring to the hot topic ticker, you can completely turn that off in the site options, and that has been around for several years.

To block a specific forum, try just adding the forum's URL to your browser's blacklist (or hosts file? I don't really know the best way to do that, but surely you can block a specific URL). Alternatively: try using some self control.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

aannoonn

@optonline.net
Half the problem is personal responsibility / self control on the part of others, some of whom are moderators. That is beyond my control, despite attempts to resolve it with fatness.

And there certainly wasn't any public drama involved.

The site is certainly more enjoyable as a non-member (although less convenient to navigate).

Based on posts in this forum, fatness, et al, seem quite accommodating at reactivating accounts and handling obsolete email addresses.

Did Justin ever encrypt the passwords? If not, that would be another reason not to join.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
said by aannoonn :

Based on posts in this forum, fatness, et al, seem quite accommodating at reactivating accounts and handling obsolete email addresses.

Recovering accounts for people that don't have access to their email or forgot their password or whatever is common. Recovering a dollarcided account is rare because all it does is encourage people to quit in a huff of drama and come back later. That's why you see members making new accounts instead of getting their old ones reactivated. It's certainly happened (hell, I had this account reinstated several years ago), but I've been reading this forum for several years and I've never heard of someone who intentionally deactivated his account getting it reactivated, especially if they left in some sort of protest as it sounds like you did. And as far as I know, Fatness can't even do that himself (?). The duty is always passed off on to nil See Profile.

said by aannoonn :

Did Justin ever encrypt the passwords? If not, that would be another reason not to join.

Assuming he didn't, why would that matter? Create a totally unique password and you're no worse off than if you're posting anon. The worst that could happen in case of another attack would be the attacker singling you out specifically and hijacking your dslr account to post renegade posts under your username. And that's... generally not the goal of these hackers.

If it's a matter of not wanting to support a site that can't get it's security straight, I respect that but posting with an account supports the site no more than posting anon does. Hell, unregistered users probably generate a lot more revenue for the site because ads don't show for registered users.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!