share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Why?

I have a question - Why? What do you need all that bandwidth for. In the forum it is mentioned that everything being watched on TV is recorded. It seems like a lot of money unless you are running a business.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

4 recommendations

said by FFH:

I have a question - Why?

I think the most accurate answer is, "because he can"

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to FFH
My guess is the upload is the important piece. Perhaps graphics work or media compiled/rendered and then uploaded? Or perhaps money is no object?

TF2_Dude

@comcast.net
reply to bbeesley
Most people who tend to ask why only do so because they can't get it, can't afford it, or both. It is always an issue with being jealous.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL
said by TF2_Dude :

Most people who tend to ask why only do so because they can't get it, can't afford it, or both. It is always an issue with being jealous.

It's not about jealousy, it's about being practical. Why would I be jealous about someone paying $400 a month for residential internet service? I would think the person is crazy rather than being an innovator. To each his own.

Ben
Premium
join:2007-06-17
Glen Carbon, IL
reply to FFH

Re: Why? - Running a Server

said by FFH:

Why?

Running a server that has a great deal of traffic is another possibility that hasn't yet been mentioned.

Even with business class FIOS, the SLA wouldn't be as good as you could get at a web hosting company, but bonding two FIOS connections is significantly cheaper.

It's possible that in his case, the cost-benefit analysis isn't worth it for him to spend significantly more money for a better SLA.

If you look at Softlayer's web site, just click on any of the servers for sale, scroll down to the bandwidth and uplink port options, and you will see what I mean about it being significantly more expensive.

Also, I've seen him post before.  If I recall correctly, he works at a datacenter and as a result of his job, gets access to some resources as a benefit of his job.  This is much in the same way a restaurant may offer free food to it's employees, or a retailer may offer employee discounts.  This enables him to bond two connections, an option that for most people, would be cost prohibitive.

clickwir

join:2001-06-21
Dickson City, PA

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: Why?

To be honest, that is their own business. "Why" is a bit of an inappropriate question.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

I have a question - Why? What do you need all that bandwidth for. In the forum it is mentioned that everything being watched on TV is recorded. It seems like a lot of money unless you are running a business.

To show off his big epenis?

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to bbeesley
said by bbeesley:

said by FFH:

I have a question - Why?

More like, he's running a "business" from his house, one heavily dependent on bandwidth.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FFH
Here is the conversation on the FiOS thread.
»Dual 155/75
Somewhat answers why.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to viperpa33s
If you think about it though he is getting a killer deal considering most businesses pay that same price for just a T1 from AT&T.

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to bbeesley
said by bbeesley:

said by FFH:

I have a question - Why?

It's his $$$. Enjoy!!!

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to djdanska
That's pretty much why.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

I have a question - Why? What do you need all that bandwidth for.

I have a question: Why Not?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to djdanska
said by djdanska:

said by FFH:

To show off his big epenis?

he probably has a small one in real life and it makes up for it. lol

30/5 is perfect for multiple users

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to NYC Girl
finally, the voice of reason.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

Short answer: Because he can.
Long one:
If technology comes within reach, there's people that will get it.

It's the same reason people buy $500+ videocards (even though there's like no games to take advantage of it) and the same reason people buy sports cars.

The one area people are very limited to what they can get even though the technology is there is speedy internet connections.
If people could buy a 10g fiber connection in the same way they can spend 2000 dollars on quad video cards they would do it.

But of course as it turns out, we're at the mercy of ISP's because they're the ones with permission to run cables outside your house.

Questions like yours always remind me of how limited people's imagination actually is.
If you wonder things like: "what would he do with so much speed!" you have to remember that just because YOU can't think of an application, it doesn't mean there'd be a lot of applications for it.

And the only reason that applications like that don't exist yet is because we don't have those speeds.

NYC Girl
Premium
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

finally, the voice of reason.

;)