nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

Is it abnormal to see channel IDs besides 1-8 for downstream

Split from this topic --> »[Signals] Evidence of 8 Downstream Channel Bonding - Post Here

Originally posted in response to --> »Kane, PA

Reason for the split is to avoid derailing the original topic.
~sorto'

said by uberjon:

Is it ab-normal to see other channel IDs besides 1-8 for downstream?

Not usual, but it has no negative impact on your service. Just depends on the configuration on your local CMTS.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

Re: Kane, PA

So what the heck does this all mean, because I thought that people were saying that on a 4x4 modem that if you see channel ID's between 5 and 8 that it means there are 8 stream bonding but that right there is in the high 100's

Expand your moderator at work

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: Kane, PA

Has to do with the CMTS, some brands default setup show the channels sequentially as 1,2,3...through whatever the total number of DS channels are available (maybe 8 but could be 20-30 available of which you might get 8)

Other brands/configurations should the actual channel number associatied with the frequentcy used, say 129, 130,131,132 or even higher (this is what I see in my area and somewhat prefer)
Doesn't really matter, It's just how your area is configured.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

In the OP's example, even that doesn't fit since it's around 200. Cable systems only go up to about RF135 for an 850MHz system.

That said, for video, I do have some channels where the subchannels are .201, .202, etc... There may be some reasoning behind it, or it's just somebody being funny or trying to 'hide' things.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

These are just virtual channel numbers which only make sense within a local system if you look at the associated freq's in differnt post you can see
for me
567000000 Hz = 129, in eugene it's channel 141, in DC it's CH 4 and so on.
unless you have a local channel map you have no idea what channel is linked to what frequentcy

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nysports4evr

Re: Is it abnormal to see channel IDs besides 1-8 for downstream

Another example from my Dad's modem (he is on a Motorola BSR CMTS in the next town over from me, I'm on an Arris CMTS with channels 1-4 downstream & 5-6 for upstream)