Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Lockups

How often do people have their routers lock up? I am using a WRT54GL, with the Linksys firmware. It has never locked up. I've never noticed any issue that I can attribute to the router. I do have wireless disabled, if that makes a difference.

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR
Reviews:
·Paragould.net
·Paragould.net
I've got a D-Link DIR-825 as my main using both bands, and a Linsksys WRT54GS running DDWRT (it used to be my main router, just never changed the firmware back to stock) as a wireless access point. I run 3 pc's off the Linksys hard wired to it, 1pc and 2 gaming systems to the D-Link (2 wired, one wireless), 2 wireless laptops, and 2 android phones using wireless. I have a 4mg/1mg hillbilly cable connection, I torrent and game, and I've never had either one lock up in easily over a year if not two. I can't remember the last time I had to power cycle one of them for any issue.

The whole idea of having a Linux rig run my firewall is appealing from the geek in me, but it would serve me no better purpose than what I already have running.
--
Ever try stuffing a melted marshmallow up a wildcat's ass? It can be done, but you have to like your job. - This Is The Way The World Ends by James Morrow - Join a DC club, it can't hurt you!

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com
reply to andyross
I have a WRT54GL with Tomato 1.27vpn on it, and until very recently, it never hung. But lately ssh and the webinterface die, even though the traffic thru it and the persistant vpn connections I have to it, continue just fine. I've got it rebooting every night at midnight, since I don't have time to troubleshoot it and sure as heck don't have the $$$ to replace it...

faberoptic6

join:2001-05-13
San Antonio, TX
reply to andyross
I've been following these DIY dedicated router threads with interest. Guess I'm not the power user I once was or thought I was.

Got an ancient blue box WRT54somethingsomething that I threw DD-WRT on just for kicks. It has always run beautifully. "Five-nines" uptime beautifully. Really, I think I'll watch the N-standard pass me by.

Downtime has only been caused by power outages, or my cats roughhousing on the surge protector.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

How often do people have their routers lock up? I am using a WRT54GL, with the Linksys firmware. It has never locked up. I've never noticed any issue that I can attribute to the router. I do have wireless disabled, if that makes a difference.

I was going to ask the same thing. I've only ever had 2 routers, a D-Link first and now a Linksys E2000. Neither has EVER locked up even once. Had the D-Link for YEARS!!

Had no need for QoS with the D-Link but now have Vonage VoIP phone and QoS works perfectly with Tomato.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/