uniqs
share rss forum feed

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
kudos:1

4 edits

[Rant] MSI 560 Ti RMA Approved Then Denied by Newegg

I purchased an MSI 560 Ti SC 2Gig card from Newegg less than a month ago. Last week I noticed the card was heating up during game play. I opened the case and saw one of the fans was not spinning. I then realize the fan was hitting the card shroud. I nudge the fan a little and it starts to spin and then get stuck again. One of the fins keeps hitting the shroud.I nudge the card again and the same thing happens. The fan felt very soft too like the heat from the card may have soften the plastic. After a final nudge the fin that was hitting the shroud and causing it to get stuck comes flying out.

Since I purchased it from Newegg less than a month ago I complete an RMA online for a refund. I clearly indicate what the issue was and it gets "approved". I send in the card and now they say they decline the RMA because the card was damaged. WTF? The card is less than 30 days and it got damaged because of a design flaw. Why did you approve my RMA when I clearly stated what happened from the get go? You had me send out the card at my cost and now tell me it is not covered because of physical damage? I said it was damaged from the get go.

Come one Newegg. I have purchased thousands of dollars of gear and built countless machines for others and myself with maybe one or two prior RMAs. I am not trying to pull a fast one. I feel and exception should be made.

I ask for a supervisor and they tell me he is busy and asks me to call again. I then asked they contact me when they are available. I am told that the supervisor is busy and they dont know when they will call me back. That I should really call back and try again. Really? (Sounds like a setup reason for not calling me back) So they expect me to keep trying and hoping one is available rather than have someone call me when they get a chance? Yet another thing that does not make sense.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

Re: [Rant] MSI 560 Ti RMA Denied by Newegg

Screw that noise and RMA it with MSI yourself.

»us.msi.com/service/warranty/#

The MSI product MUST be free of any physical damage due to improper installation or modification of ANY kind (this includes installing aftermarket parts) or the warranty WILL be VOID.

This policy seems reasonable and should cover the defect with your card since it was not damaged due to improper installation or modifications.

OHN

Appleton, WI

That is what I am hoping. My problem now is that Newegg made me waste time and money. They approved my RMA when I clearly stated the problem. They need to review RMA instead of auto approve and have someone spend money to return it. Now I have to wait for it to be returned, then submit an RMA with MSI and see if they will exchange it. If they are not willing to, they wont even sell you the part to fix it yourself.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to OHN

No luck. MSI said the same thing. That a physical damage is not covered by the warranty. So my $275 card is worthless now. Newegg nor MSI will help me.

I cannot blame them for thinking this way, I am sure there are lots of system builders and people that screw things up during installation, however that was not the case with me. You would think an exception would be in order. On the Newegg side, I have purchased about $10,000 in products and had to RMA once or twice before. They this alone should paint a picture. On the MSI side, they should recognize the problem is just the fan. A simple thing to fix. Spending $5 for a fan replacement to appease someone that spends $300-$500 on a video card is not too much to ask.

NGOwner

join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS

If you have the card back, why don't you just fix the fan, since your other avenues seem to not have panned out ....

[NG]Owner
--
It is impossible to create an idiot-proof product. Humanity is simply too adept at churning out better idiots.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

He'll void his 3-year warranty if he fixes it himself.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to NGOwner

Have not received it yet. Newegg still has it. I called MSI in advance to see if they would accept an RMA under warranty and they said no. I am not completely screwed though. They may repair it for $40 or so but the warranty is void at this point. Right now I am waiting on a call from Newegg supervisor. I doubt he will call.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to pnjunction

Either way my warranty is void. Physical damage to the card, in this case the fan, voids your warranty.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

?? MSI told you that? I thought it was just newegg being stupid.

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit

Yeah, they both said this. Newegg said they would not accept any damaged products. They told me to contact MSI. I contacted MSI even though I dont have the card back from Newegg yet and they told me the warranty is voided because of the damage. I told them it was not improper installation or modification. They said all they could do is do an out of warranty repair for the fan.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
Toronto, ON

Wow lame. Couldn't they see that the shroud was hitting the fan? Why was the shroud hitting the fan anyways? I'm thinking very close design and then bent during shipping or something?

I once had a cooler fall right off my new XFX 6600GT when I took it out of the box. Turns out the packaging had no padding at all between the outside and the cooler thanks to a rigid plastic window that basically transferred force directly from the outside of the package to the cooler. Anyways the retail shop wouldn't do an instant exchange due to the damage, but they did send it to XFX who sent a new card (although it had a crappier reference cooler not the fancy copper one I wanted, I got over it).

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit

Yeah you are correct. The fan is super close to the shroud by design. Check out the pic. When I saw the card was overheating, I checked the fins and they were very soft. My guess it was from the heat of the card. The fan would spin a little and the same fin would hit the shroud. There are no cables or anything in the way that would cause this to happen. The card rests against my case panel.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to OHN

Re: [Rant] MSI 560 Ti RMA Approved Then Denied by Newegg

I would try calling MSI a few more times until you talk to someone who understand your problem.

Also :
The MSI product MUST be free of any physical damage due to improper installation or modification of ANY kind (this includes installing aftermarket parts) or the warranty WILL be VOID.

Yes, it is physically damaged, but not due to improper installation or modification.

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to OHN

Newegg comes through for me once again. Just spoke with a supervisor that was very very helpful. They will be issuing me a store credit (not a problem since I purchase everything through newegg). They said they would be contacting MSI to see if they can get them to accept the card back as defective. If not, it it may be a loss to them. I hope it works out for them as well.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to OHN

That's why I stick with EVGA or all these years.

OHN

Appleton, WI

I had issues with them in the past as well. However, they do appear to have better service. I just purchased a 680 and cannot wait to use it. Love they have the "Step Up" program.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to OHN

Speak the only language they understand.

* * * chargeback * * *

OHN

Appleton, WI
reply to OHN

Worked out. I already received the store credit with Newegg. I just need to see what card to spend it on. Newegg was great. I hope they can work things out with MSI on their end as well.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

With those type fans the thin profile multi fin design.They are fragile as hell anyway so any design defect will make the outcome worse.

By the way I like Sapphire and MSI cards myself but sometimes with RMAs the less info they have the better you as a customer are.

Tempus45
Premium
join:2006-07-08
USA
reply to OHN

Have you considered an after market fan for that particular card?

OHN

Appleton, WI

Dont have to any more. Newegg took it back.

OHN

Appleton, WI

1 edit

Not related to Newegg but wanted to revisit this thread. I had a second MSI Twin Frz II Video card. This one is just 1 Gig instead of 2. This is a card I purchased before I purchased the 2 Gig version. It is on the wife's machine.

Well today I noticed one of the fans was not spinning. Exact same issue as the other one I returned. I looked it over closely and saw one of the fins/blades was hitting the metal shroud. I tap it and it spins for a few and gets stuck again. I did this five to six times. Each time jamming itself after a few rotations. Eventually one of the blades/fins comes flying out. Works fine now but the fan is missing a fin. Not sure how it affects the cooling or if it throws the balance of the card off. I guess I will try crazy gluing the fin back but very dissapointing. I can revisit the whole RMA topic but there may be question to this voiding my warranty. Funny thing is I was thinking or recording and posting to Youtube but before I could reach for my iPhone, the fin flew off. Even if they fix it, I am sure I will have the same issue with the replacement since it is an apparent design flaw.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

The fan will be off balance, depending on how many blades depends how big the effect of it will be. One of those "turbine" style fans you might not see any significant effects, but 4 or 5 blade fans, it will likely wear quickly and fail in a couple of months if that.

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to OHN

A friend of mine in the PC business swears by Sapphire cards.

We have a PNY video at work where the fan actually melted. I should take some pics of it.

aannoonn

@optonline.net

Correction: We have a PNY video card at work where the fan actually melted.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

You really didn't need to clarify that, it was kinda obvious.

BigBlarg

Longueuil, QC
reply to OHN

I've been running two PNY 560 Ti in SLI without any problems for a while now. No overheating problem.

Bad video cards can happen in any brands.

OHN

Appleton, WI

Yeah but two in a row is kind of weird. Same exact thing too. I think the contributing factor is how they sit on my case. They are vertical.

BigBlarg

Longueuil, QC
reply to OHN

Yeah you're right...

I went on Newegg to read a few reviews and the fan problem since to be somewhat commong with this model of MSI Cards.

Edit : Also a few rants about bad support from MSI

rainblood12
Would You Like Fries With That?

join:2002-11-16
Union, NJ
reply to OHN

I also have this same card. I had to send it back to MSI in CA about 4 times already due to pixellation and artifacts. I have to send it back again for the same thing, this time I want a different card or money back. The previous cards they sent me as replacements were all bad out of the box and each time I had to send them back.