uniqs
share rss forum feed

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

Connect Acer Android tablet to wired network?

I'm thinking of picking up an Acer 10.1 Android Tablet....

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···03a1en02

At home I have a wired network of 4 computers. I don't have wireless nor do I wish to purchase a wireless router.

So wireless is out of the question. Is there a way to connect this tablet to the wired network?

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by vue666:

I'm thinking of picking up an Acer 10.1 Android Tablet....

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···03a1en02

At home I have a wired network of 4 computers. I don't have wireless nor do I wish to purchase a wireless router.

So wireless is out of the question. Is there a way to connect this tablet to the wired network?

A big NO.....most tablets out in the market get internet connectivity via wi-fi or cellular like 3g

Besides, did you see the specs.?

you're not limited to wireless routers when talking about wifi. You can add an access point to your wired network for wireless devices or use a wireless router as an access point by disabling its dhcp function.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to vue666
Some people managed to get Ethernet to work on Android tablets (not the A200 series) using USB Ethernet adapters, but the tablet needs to be rooted and third-party drivers installed. Not recommended if you are not familiar with Unix or networking.

See
»www.acertabletforum.com/forum/ac···200.html
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1224660
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1274656

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

1 edit
I am employed as a network admin (Netware & Windows) and 2 of my home computers run Linux (Open Suse and Zorin Ubuntu)....

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
reply to vue666
Click for full size
Virtual Router example
If one of the home computers is running Windows 7 and has a wireless adapter you could look at using either Connectify or Virtual Router to turn that computer into a wireless hotspot using the hosted network functionality of Windows 7.

»www.connectify.me/
»virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

The screen shot is an example of a test session using Virtual Router on my Win 7 Home Premium laptop showing my iPod Touch client connected...
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:
You can add an access point to your wired network for wireless devices

Not sure what you mean...how can this be done without adding a wi-fi router?

Cheers

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Wireless Access Point

Cisco Refurbished Wireless-N Access Point with Dual Band -- for $60
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

medbuyer

reply to vue666
said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Cheers

seriously?

I thought you work as a network admin and would presume you'd be knowledgeable with networking devices / hardware...

how do you think Starbucks, Malls, Airports and any other public places be able to offer wifi? via a wireless ACCESS POINT scattered all around...it would be stupid of them to use wireless ROUTERS...

@ home, I got 3 pc's [1 works as an htpc], blu-ray, wii, xbox 360 that's all hardwired.....then, I got 2 wireless routers ACTING as an access point [by disabling its dhcp function] that serves my asus transformer tablet, iphone, nintendo ds and guests who come in with their own wifi devices.

medbuyer

reply to broccoli
said by broccoli:

Some people managed to get Ethernet to work on Android tablets (not the A200 series) using USB Ethernet adapters, but the tablet needs to be rooted and third-party drivers installed. Not recommended if you are not familiar with Unix or networking.

See
»www.acertabletforum.com/forum/ac···200.html
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1224660
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1274656

not to bash the OP but he doesn't even know how to add wireless connectivity to his existing wired network, much more root a tablet and face potential headaches for something that's not what it is really meant for...

I mean, tablets were made for you to go mobile, not get tied to a wire that's why they have either wifi or cellular connectivity.

what's the point of getting it wired anyway? tablets can have apps that can remotely control a pc....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by vue666:

said by medbuyer:

Cheers

seriously?

I thought you work as a network admin and would presume you'd be knowledgeable with networking devices / hardware...

how do you think Starbucks, Malls, Airports and any other public places be able to offer wifi? via a wireless ACCESS POINT scattered all around...it would be stupid of them to use wireless ROUTERS...

@ home, I got 3 pc's [1 works as an htpc], blu-ray, wii, xbox 360 that's all hardwired.....then, I got 2 wireless routers ACTING as an access point [by disabling its dhcp function] that serves my asus transformer tablet, iphone, nintendo ds and guests who come in with their own wifi devices.

We do not use wireless in our corporate environment as our CIO has security concerns about wireless...

medbuyer

said by vue666:

We do not use wireless in our corporate environment as our CIO has security concerns about wireless...

I hate to say this, BUT, if you are their network admin, I'd be concerned too...

And what exactly are his concerns that can't be addressed? your CIO needs to be updated as there are now a LOT of wireless technologies out there that can fix his wireless issues / concerns. not to mention, hire the right people who knows their stuff combined with the right hardware.

Our manufacturing plant has a separate WIRELESS network that's on a different IP / subnet so our wireless and wired network don't totally see each other. All of this via 4 Cisco access points that covers the whole building...

It has two SSID's that are broadcasted for office people and for customers coming in, and is secured by a firewall, anti virus, external watch company etc....

and we've been doing this for years...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to medbuyer
The reason I want a tablet is....

1) - I'm currently off work due to cancer surgery.
»Bad news today - I got cancer
The staff I work with gave me a $200.00 gift certificate from Futureshop....

2) - My hobby is digital painting and 3D modeling/rendering. I currently have a Wacom Intuos 3 connected to my I5-2500K home built computer. The Acer tablet would be a nice compliment to my Wacom as I could doodle while on vacation. Many of the regulars on the Artrage forum recommend an Androd tablet...

Some of my aartwork here...
»Land of the Red Fox

»The Prowler

»The Protector

»Mammoth Hunters

»www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/b···ser=1033

3) - I've been wanting an ereader like the Kobo or Kindle, so I'm looking for the Acer as an alternative...

4) - I would only require internet access on the Acer for os/software upgrades and I will not be using it to surf the web...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to medbuyer
I work for the government.... their decisions don't have to make sense. But for now it's considered taboo....

However senior management do have Blackberries which are not tied to our file & print network and are administered by our Blackberry support team. I'm strictly file and print network support....

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I'm currently off work...

You CIO dictates that you cannot use wireless at home?

How would he/she know you have wireless in your home?

Seriously? Setup an AP and enjoy the freedom.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

medbuyer

reply to vue666
said by vue666:

The reason I want a tablet is....

1) - I'm currently off work due to cancer surgery. The staff I work with gave me a $200.00 gift certificate from Futureshop....

2) - My hobby is digital painting and 3D modeling/rendering. I currently have a Wacom Intuos 3 connected to my I5-2500K home built computer. The Acer tablet would be a nice compliment to my Wacom as I could doodle while on vacation. Many of the regulars on the Artrage forum recommend an Androd tablet...

Some of my aartwork here...
»Land of the Red Fox

»The Prowler

»The Protector

»Mammoth Hunters

»www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/b···ser=1033

3) - I've been wanting an ereader like the Kobo or Kindle, so I'm looking for the Acer as an alternative...

4) - I would only require internet access on the Acer for os/software upgrades and I will not be using it to surf the web...

A tablet can achieve # 1, 3 and 4 [disable wireless function]..

#2 - find an app that can do this, frankly, I'm not too sure if the tablet has enough power to do this.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to LLigetfa
I never said he doesn't allow wireless at home. Just a work. But I don't want to purchase anymore computer stuff (unless there's a really inexpensive router) as I'm saving my pennies to do some upgrades to my 1960 Corvette...

Besides why are you giving me an hard time. If I prefer NOT to use wireless for reasons outlined above. I will NOT be surfing the web on the tablet. It will be an e-reader and art tool...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

Might want to upgrade your CIO

Anyway, on topic - you'll be hard pressed to get wired ethernet working on Android without significant headaches - unless the device specifically supports it.

Perhaps you should get a win7 tablet that supports wired ethernet, if that's a corporate requirement.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

medbuyer

reply to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

said by vue666:

I'm currently off work...

You CIO dictates that you cannot use wireless at home?

How would he/she know you have wireless in your home?

Seriously? Setup an AP and enjoy the freedom.

+1

not unless you have ultra secret gov't files or the BIG brother is hooked up to your network....ha ha...joke...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

#2 - find an app that can do this, frankly, I'm not too sure if the tablet has enough power to do this.

Many of the artists on the Artrage forum are using an Android tablet.

»www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/sh···?t=39313

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Perhaps you should get a win7 tablet that supports wired ethernet, if that's a corporate requirement.

Looked at the Windows tablets but I'd have to outlay a bit more cash with the gift certificate...

Cheers

medbuyer

reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I never said he doesn't allow wireless at home. Just a work. But I don't want to purchase anymore computer stuff (unless there's a really inexpensive router) as I'm saving my pennies to do some upgrades to my 1960 Corvette...

Besides why are you giving me an hard time. If I prefer NOT to use wireless for reasons outlined above. I will NOT be surfing the web on the tablet. It will be an e-reader and art tool...

c'mon, a wireless access point can be had for cheap....maybe like 1 side view mirror cost [$30 - 50?] of your corvette....even a simple wrt54g can work.

even e-reading needs connectivity so you can synch your e-books.

a windows tablet with an ethernet port is what you should look for but then again windows on a tablet is something not be desired of really....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I've downloaded some e-books and comic books already (over past year)....

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I don't want to purchase anymore computer stuff...

Besides why are you giving me an hard time....

You would purchase a USB to ethernet adapter and have to cobble it together to work but not an inexpensive AP that requires no effort or drivers to setup?

I'm not giving you a hard time. You must have my posts mixed up with asjamias.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
Sorry... yes it was directed to asjamias.

I wasn't aware it was hard to connected an usb ethernet nic to an Android tablet until i asked here....

medbuyer

said by vue666:

Sorry... yes it was directed to asjamias.

I wasn't aware it was hard to connected an usb ethernet nic to an Android tablet until i asked here....

you asked your question differently that's why I gave you an answer on what was your question...

if you asked can I use a usb dongle for wired or wireless connectivity, then maybe we'd all have a different reply / answer...

it's your choice...get something cheap but it really isn't what you're wanting or save up and get the right tablet for your doodling. just like getting the right parts for your 'vette...which you both clearly like....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

1 edit

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

I am employed as a network admin (Netware & Windows) and 2 of my home computers run Linux (Open Suse and Zorin Ubuntu)....

Do any of your Linux machines have wireless hardware? If so this might be of interest.

»exain.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/m···adapter/

»wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sof···ss_Point

Along the same lines of using a Win 7 computer with wireless hardware to create a wireless hotspot.
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
No... all Linux and Windows 7 are using 1gb wired nics....

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666
Got an Acer A200 Android & a Net gear WNR3500 router. Love the tablet & wireless router. Router also has 4x1000 wired ports & one USB port. USB port is slow for hard drive storage access...