Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Warmachine99

join:2006-03-20
Pleasant Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Renting a car for a vacation trip. Need advice.

Im planning on taking a driving vacation trip from South East Wisconsin, down to the Lexington/Louisville KY area. There is no way I would trust my personal vehicle to make this run without some sort of break down (2005 Chrysler T&C with just under 170K miles), so renting is my best option. All the rental places are within $20 of each other, so cost is not really that big a factor in that regard.

I am trying to decide between the Standard car (Ford Fusion or similar) versus the Full size car (Chevy Impala or similar). Comfort and gas economy are the more important things for this trip. Leg room, hip and shoulder space are very important, as both my wife and I are not skinny people. Sirius radio would be nice, but not if it costs more. I have my own GPS unit, so I dont need to 'rent' one of those either.

Back seat space is not important, as its just the 2 of us on this trip, so I figure 2-3 suitcases, my camera bag and laptop backpack are all that we will be bringing with us luggage wise.

Right now, its between Enterprise and Alamo.

Enterprise limits the mileage to 150 a day with $.20 a mile over, but we figure we would be within that mileage range if we planned our routes carefully.

Alamo is unlimited mileage, but they are farther away for me to go to get the car, and return it, as well as somewhat more expensive as they charge extra for a second driver, even if its my wife.

So, how much of a difference is there between these classes of cars, and is it worth the extra $$$ to bump up this one class?
--
I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
You are on vacation who wants to have to plan their route to limit mileage.

If the gas mileage is near the same the bigger car should be more comfortable.

I would eat a few bucks to be comfortable on vacation. Unlimited mileage or reasonably unlimited would also be a plus for me. That little out of the way side trip etc.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Warmachine99
I would go with a full size Chevy

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·row44
reply to Warmachine99
I dont know about the size different. I rent usually with avis and they usually upgrade me to a jeep liberty for free without me asking. I guess they go a good deal on those.

Always check for deals:
search on »www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-rent···ers-392/
look on »rentalcodes.com/
Also search google for corp codes or coupons.

I found some of these on flyer talk for alamo:
Alamo - Amex code offers 15% off 7014291
Here is a free upgrade link to alamo: »www.alamo.com/index.do?action=/h···_Upgrade

If you sign up for the free alamo insiders you get a free 2 class upgrade: Get a FREE two car class upgrade when you rent a Compact through Midsize car. Go to the Alamo website and use the coupon code AU2852SDA when booking. No physical coupon required. Valid on rentals picked up by 6/1/12, but holidays and other blackout dates may apply.

Midsized would bump you to fullsized with this coupon.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to Warmachine99
If you want a good ride and pretty good gas mileage, get a Mercury Grand Marquis, Ford Crown Victoria, or Lincoln Town Car rental car. 4.6l v8(good power), a LOT of room(especially in the trunk), and pretty good gas mileage(around 15 city/20 highway). Enterprise and Hertz usually has them.
--
No Victim=No Crime

NGOwner

join:2000-11-21
Leawood, KS
reply to Warmachine99
Also look into Costco rates, even if you're not a member. You can pull the Corporate code and the Coupon code off the the Costco website and use it at the car rental place's main website.

»www.costcotravel.com/#11_rentalCars

I am a Costco member, and have used those codes, but have never been asked at the counter to show my Costco card.

AAA discounts are also available if you are a member.

[NG]Owner
--
It is impossible to create an idiot-proof product. Humanity is simply too adept at churning out better idiots.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Warmachine99
Go with the unlimited miles, you just never know, $0.20 a mile can really add up!
I've used both companies and never had a problem with their cars!
GET THEIR INSURANCE!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·row44

3 edits
I never get the insurance, its just a way to get more of your money for no reason. I get covered under my amex credit card "Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance" with no deductible and my own insurance policy.
My personal liability,comprehensive and collision apply to any rental car with my same deductible.

If you want really good coverage to ensure no out of pocket fees if you get in an accident you can call your insurance company to add Use of Non Owned Car-Physical damage (UNOC) coverage for like $5 a month and cancel it after your trip.

You can also get primary premium car rental coverage for $25 from Amex that is even better than their free coverage. It covers you for up to 42 days: »www295.americanexpress.com/premi···/home.do

Why would I need to pay a rental company for a 3rd insurance?
--

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
I only carry liablity on my insurance so any damage I get on a rental is on me to fix!
No sense to have full coverage ($2,000 or more a year?) on a car that is only worth $6,000 now!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·row44
There are much better deals for full insurance on a rental that covers all fees without going through the rental company if you are renting longer than 2 days.
The amex insurance is better and cheaper.

As for the different between full and liablity on my 04 corolla, it was less than $15 a month or $180 a year with state farm.
--

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to Warmachine99
Make sure your rental company will allow you to drive to the states you're going to. Some rental companies (*cough* Enterprise *cough*) will only let you drive to adjacent states or otherwise limit where you can drive.

Some rental companies (*cough* Enterprise *cough*) also go over your car with a fine-toothed comb and will charge you if you return with so much as a parking lot 'ding' in your door.

I'd rent from Hertz or Avis. You might even find that they're cheaper, as some companies (*cough* Enterprise *cough*) have different categories for car sizes and call a full size car what everyone else calls a compact. Be sure you're comparing the exact same model cars, and be sure to ask about all the extra fees they tack on.

Get the Impala.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Warmachine99
I overwhelmingly agree with everyone, get the impala, I did a 3 day trip to PA round trip 2x, around 600 miles and was comfy as all hell.

Gas only cost me $100, it was a brand new 2012.

I rented through enterprise and they gave me unlimited mileage as long as I told them where I was going, they just wrote the state into the contract.

I have built a renting relationship with them so they give me breaks from time to time.

I have rented from enterprise 5x and I have been happy each time.

YMMV, enjoy your trip!
--
What a great place to be 127.0.0.1

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to Warmachine99
Your heading into Kentucky's hill country.....

Lots of good twisties!!!!!

Spend the extra change and get a Mustang or a Camaro or Really get a fun ride and rent a Goldwing!

We aint getting any younger!

--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Warmachine99
My wife and I are not small either and we rented a Fusion last year while in Vegas and drove it down to Phoenix 5-6hr drive and it was very comfortable and done great on MPG.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to aannoonn
I never had any issues with enterprise. We never get the insurance they offer. We always use our own. As long as you have collision there is no reason to pay what they charge for insurance.

illriv

join:2012-05-31
reply to Warmachine99
It really depends on what your planned itinerary for your trip is. I mean, if you are looking to do a lot of stops that are far from one another and would not really be that easy to get to when commuting, then it would be wiser to rent a car.

That would also be a possible option if you are looking to get to more places without that much problems that you should face.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Warmachine99
I avoid Enterprise like the plague -- it's worth a buck or two more per day not to have to spend 45 minutes picking up a car from a pimply faced 22 year old in a suit, going over every speck of dirt to be sure it's not damage, arguing with them about whether or not I need extra supplemental insurance, and oh yeah -- first stop after you drive off is a gas station, since they're usually on 1/4 tank. Of course, when you bring it back with a few extra gallons of gas it in (just to be safe) there goes your savings on the rental. I like a full tank of gas to start a trip, and I'll return it full; Enterprise's bullshit games really annoy me.

Every time I drive through Kentucky I love cruising around the countryside looking at the miles of horse farms and scenery. Do you really want to have to worry about mileage overages and get nickled & dimed to death on vacation?

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to Warmachine99
Try checking carrentals, cheaptickets, hotwire or travelocity. In these sites you will be able to compare all the cars of all car rentals. You will have plenty of options by visiting these sites.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Warmachine99
Unless you already have a firmly set schedule, I'd not get a car with a limited mileage. Since you're not driving *that* much, I'd go for comfort over cost of gasoline. Last year I had to drive to NYC and back, and it that case it made a perfect sense to go with the least thirsty car, but your trip is nowhere near as long.

Personally, I usually rent from Hertz, but if someone were to give me a better deal, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a different company.
--
Wacky Races 2012!