Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Cable Card] Why is it so hard for techs?

I had techs come out to put two new cards in since my one s-card died figured switch it with m-cards and have the signals checked... the tech put the cards in and things went to heck.. they called in the activations and the people on the regional tech line had no clue what to do...they fiddled around for 78 minutes! it was almost like they where training the person... nothing worked... they kept insisting they needed moto cards to work... this is a SA region (the tech had them on speaker the whole time)...the tech gave up left the cards and left the job and closed it as incomplete.. i called up comcast customer support and in 8 minutes got the cards paired and staged... whys it so easy for me...i just said i need cards paired... gave them the host id's and cablecard id's and done.... *scratches head* i just dont get it... why cant comcast be like verizon and have a provisioning website for customers and cablecards enter your id's and done all online

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
1. no training- both techs and dispatch
2. poor hardware - takes a few to get one that works
3. poor customers- never update firmware in their devices
4. not enough in the field to stay proficient
5. its not as easy you may think, been on a quite a few CC installs, and none have ever been easy...
--
I'm better than you!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to neufuse
the cable cos make more by renting cable boxes at $9-$16+ each a mo. and yes the same boxs that cost you $5 mo when digital first came out now cost $8-$9 mo.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
what does that have to do with the topic at hand????
--
I'm better than you!

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
I'm saying that the cable are better off billing $9+ a mo for each box then billing you $5+ each for a cable card. and the box comes with PPV and VOD.

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
Not sure I could fit a cable box into the slot on my Tivo though.

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to Joe12345678
some people dont want the extra equipment....which is fine, but they just have to know the cablecard tech was never really adopted by companies (manufacturers), and thus customers arent informed, and their tvs also have issues....
--
I'm better than you!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neufuse
I agree it would be nice for Comcast to provide a working self-provisioning environment for cable cards.

My experience with the Comcast tech was different than yours, however. The cable card was inserted and activated without any issues. A non-working channel up on the TiVo remote did cause some moments of anxiety until we figured it out.

(I usually use a universal remote for the TiVo, so the actual TiVo remote was tucked away in a drawer. The tech asked for the TiVo remote as he was unfamiliar with the key mapping I had on the universal remote.)

But all in all, the cable card installation went quite smoothly.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gar187er
well in this case it was just they didn't seem to know how to pair them and kept insisiting we where a moto region (we are not)... i just felt irritated that something that took that long for the tech to do took me so little with a csr to do... I just wish they would have a site like verizon to pair cards... would make life easier.. for those of us who keep their hardware up to date and with tivo at least its automatically updated