how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NorCal John

join:2006-02-18
Crescent City, CA

[HSI] Which modem -- Motorola 6121 or 6141

I'm currently using my own ~7 years old SB5100. I occasionally have HSI outages for unknown reasons.

Last service call, about 3 weeks ago, the tech support guy in the phone support said there was a problem with the line. When the field tech showed up he cycled the modem and I had service after being without for most of 4 days.

I asked the field tech to check the ground and he said it was OK. I checked and discovered the grounding wire had been knocked loose from the rod so I reconnected it. Maybe this was part of the problem; maybe not since I think the ground was unconnected for quite some time.

Anyway I'm considering getting a new modem -- either the Motorola SB6121 of SB6141. The latter seems to not be released yet for direct consumer purchase and setup.

Motorola advertises the SB6121 as easy plug & Play for consumers. While the 6141 seems more oriented to cable companies. How hard is it to set up the 6141? Is the extra capacity and "future proof" necessary.

Mostly I do internet surfing and watch some videos. Occasionally gigabyte downloads have been troublesome primarily because I loose my internet connection?

I consider myself a capable amateur. I can connect the cables and follow instructions and do some troubleshooting.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter

id diffently go with the SB6141 (never know what you may or may not want to move to in the future)

etherway the sb5100 you have now can hardley handle most of the speeds charter advertises now exspcialy during powerboost

»/forum/charterdirect also start a topic there they can help check signals etc

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to NorCal John

Motorola 6121 or 6141 or maybe a Zoom 5341?

The Zoom works great for me!!

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

If those are your choices then definitely get the 6141 as that has 8x4 channel bonding while the other is only 4x4. The latest Zoom is also a good one too (J modem however).

I have the 6181 (not on Charter ) and it's basically all the same. The 6141 will be plug and play just the same, Charter just has to get the HFC MAC and they'll put that in your account and it'll connect and work just fine.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to NorCal John

I, like you, had the 5100 for years. I just bought the 6141 about 2 weeks ago and it is great. Amazon has it for sale through a third party. I am using it on Time Warner, not Charter but I cant imagine it will be any different. The 6141 does 8 channel bonding which beats the 6121.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA

HI all, thanks for the info.

I took the plunge and ordered a SB6141 which should be here Thursday.

John

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
reply to NorCal John

Motorola SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem is $81.90 in Amazon.

the one user review had trouble with it.

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA

the one reviewer on Amazon had trouble getting the SB6141 to work with his router, etc.

I'll be connecting the 6141 to an Apple Airport Extreme. I've looked at the Apple Airport Extreme forum and the 6141 isn't mentioned (probably because it is too recent). Relatively few other problems connecting to Motorola modems including the 6121.

So my 6141 is due Thursday and then I'll find out.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

I would suspect that it's a configuration issue with the E4200 why it he couldn't get it to work. As a DHCP request from that device is the same from the old D-Link.

I have the Linksys E4200 v1 as well and it works just fine with every modem I've ever had in the past year+ since I've had it. My guess was the modem had locked to the PC MAC address and then wouldn't allow the E4200 but they said they rebooted everything so I dunno. Shouldn't be a problem with the Airport either as it's using the same standards that's been in existence for years as well.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

The 6141 does 8 channel bonding which beats the 6121.

IF your ISP actually uses 8 channels. If they're the same price sure get the 6141. I'm happy with my 6121. It works just fine with my 30 Mbps connection.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by 88615298:

said by swintec:

IF your ISP actually uses 8 channels. If they're the same price sure get the 6141. I'm happy with my 6121. It works just fine with my 30 Mbps connection.

No, if your ISP uses any more than 4. Various ISP topics have users seeing 5 or 6 at times, up to 8. Might as well future proof things as much as possible and the price difference does not justify getting an "old" 4 channel bonding unit now. Few years we will be saying the same thing about 8 channels.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Premium
West Tenness

1 edit

said by swintec:

said by 88615298:

said by swintec:

No, if your ISP uses any more than 4. Various ISP topics have users seeing 5 or 6 at times, up to 8. Might as well future proof things as much as possible and the price difference does not justify getting an "old" 4 channel bonding unit now. Few years we will be saying the same thing about 8 channels.

I already said if they were the same price. I got a 6121 in February. I'm perfectly ok with it. Future proof? Charter might use more than 4 channels in 5 years. I'll worry about 5 years in 5 years. If Charter started 8 channel bonding today I'm not sure what benefit it would have if any.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

I sorta agree with you but in a way. If the price was double i'd say screw it but even if it's $20 more i'd so go for the 6141. In this case, the 6121 and 6141 are exactly the same price on Amazon as of now: $82.90 so no reason not to get the newest (brown box version for $68 i think).

For me I think i got the 6180 as it the 6141 wasn't available at the time.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

I already said if they were the same price. I got a 6121 in February. I'm perfectly ok with it. Future proof? Charter might use more than 4 channels in 5 years. I'll worry about 5 years in 5 years. If Charter started 8 channel bonding today I'm not sure what benefit it would have if any.

Charter might use more than 4 channels in 5 years?!

C'mon BF69.
You KNOW Charter is always a day late and a dollar short on everything they do! Every other ISP will have 8 channel bonding in 5 years, but Charter will take 6!!

No brainer on which modem to get if the same price then though!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1

Pretty sure Charter was one of the early providers to offer 100mbit, so you never know.

smilepak

join:2002-02-27
Chino, CA
reply to NorCal John

»www.slideshare.net/worchestersay···s-sb6121

Comparison
--
--
»www.knguyentu.com

NorCal John

Crescent City, CA

The slides on channel bonding was informative. Thanx.

I did get the 6141 and it is working fine. Only problem I had was getting my Apple Airport Extreme to connect -- I think this is an Apple shortfall.

I'm getting great speeds now over Charter.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

Good choice. I would have went with the 6141 as well.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to NorCal John

I got my 6121 in February and it works fine. Now if the price is the same sure I'd go ahead and get the 6141 if I need another modem.

I will say I'm not worried about needing a 6141 for the faster speeds. I'm fine with Charter's 30 Meg speed tier and the 6121 seems to work just fine on Charter's 100 Meg tier as far as I can tell. I don't plan on upgrading speeds anytime soon. The only time I see me doing that is if Charter gives us one. Seeing as the just did that I don't expect them to give us another one for a year or two and I'm sure the 30 Meg tier won't go up much higher than 50 or 60 Mbps. So for me in practical terms I don't see Charter offering me a speed that would require a 6141 for another 8-10 years. By then my 6121 would probably need replacing anyways.