spc
uniqs
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned) to vpoko

to vpoko

Re: 911 is still not blocked

said by vpoko:

I realize that, but once the phone is no longer associated with your account it is no longer your problem.

So who gets blamed for 911 if it's no longer associated with the owner? The phone company or FCC?

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

They can still track the phone on the network, regardless if it's allowed service or not. With a t-mobile or at&t phone, chances are they are dialing w/o a sim (then won't show the previous users phone # or anything) or a new sim (with the new users info).

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180
No one gets blamed unless the person dialing gets caught (and obviously isn't calling for a bona fide emergency).

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to djdanska

Premium Member

to djdanska
said by djdanska:

They can still track the phone on the network, regardless if it's allowed service or not. With a T-Mobile or AT&T phone, chances are they are dialing w/o a SIM (then won't show the previous users phone # or anything) or a new SIM (with the new users info).

Correct. 911 operators do track incoming calls (in case of cell phones it would either be tower triangulation or GPS if a phone has it) so that if a person can't clearly identify where the emergency is, they can still send unit(s) to the area.The same can be used to try to track abusers who start calling 911 when there is no real emergency. Obviously, if an actual number shows up during 911 call and they manage to link it to a valid carrier account, catching the perpetrator becomes even easier.
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

said by Pirate515:

said by djdanska:

They can still track the phone on the network, regardless if it's allowed service or not. With a T-Mobile or AT&T phone, chances are they are dialing w/o a SIM (then won't show the previous users phone # or anything) or a new SIM (with the new users info).

Correct. 911 operators do track incoming calls (in case of cell phones it would either be tower triangulation or GPS if a phone has it) so that if a person can't clearly identify where the emergency is, they can still send unit(s) to the area.The same can be used to try to track abusers who start calling 911 when there is no real emergency. Obviously, if an actual number shows up during 911 call and they manage to link it to a valid carrier account, catching the perpetrator becomes even easier.

Considering how far towers in some places are here and phone not having gps it would be really hard to catch the person.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

You would be surprised. When i go to western Illinois, the towers are fairly far away from each other yet google maps has no problem finding appx where im at. Even though the towers are 8 if not 9 miles away.

Someone might be able to tell me but does it take in account other cell towers it can receive, even though it can't use them? aka at&t and other local carriers? If so, it would make sense.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by djdanska:

Someone might be able to tell me but does it take in account other cell towers it can receive, even though it can't use them? aka at&t and other local carriers? If so, it would make sense.

Network based location can be done several different ways. If only a single tower is within range, location can be determined within a given radius based on signal strength. Not real fine tuned.

If the object is moving, the change in strength can help software such as Google Maps determine location by comparing the estimated difference with roads in the area if an actual GPS receiver is not turned on.

If multiple towers are within range, then triangulation can be used to narrow down the location even further. It's not absolute, but is far better then nothing at all.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

The chances of me being within range of only 1 or two towers, is very rare. there are always at&t and other local gsm providers in range. That's what i meant with if the phone can or cannot get appx location from gsm or wcdma towers it's not using.