uniqs
share rss forum feed

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France
reply to mmainprize

Re: [Help] Virtual environment Software

Thanks you for links mmainprize See Profile, There so many software..
I think I will continue to play with VmwarePlayer , then VirtualBox or Virtal Iron if I need more.
I have no real need of virtual environment, this is just for fun and learn a little bit. (honestly I prefer asm with an old Z80)

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

said by Old Computer:

Thanks you for links mmainprize See Profile, There so many software..
I think I will continue to play with VmwarePlayer , then VirtualBox or Virtal Iron if I need more.
I have no real need of virtual environment, this is just for fun and learn a little bit. (honestly I prefer asm with an old Z80)

VMware player i think requires you have a VM (The files) all ready made. Then the player runs the VM but it will not save changes i think. So someone with VMware workstation can make a VM and let someone with the player run it.

In the past you could download a free version of ESXi server from VMware and you could make a VM in it and i think that VMware workstation may have a trial period so you might be able to make a VM in a trail.

ESXi server is install on a Server PC and does not need a host OS , so you save some overhead and memory by just running the VMs.

Edit: I read the VMware player overview and i see you can create a vm in player now so you can make a basic VM from that.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Old Computer

Click for full size
VMWare workstation 7
You can learn alot from the VMware forums
Here
»communities.vmware.com/index.jspa

Attached is a screenshot of VMware workstation 7, version 8 has a different interface and looks a little different.

Old Computer
Premium
join:2002-04-12
France

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thanks you for infos and screenshots. I think I will see later for Vmware Workstation later if I really need it.

I have installed VirtualBox 4.12 and started playing with.
I have now Ubuntu 11.10 installed as well my XP home. I had to find drivers for audio for XP , but all works fine now.
I guess I can use two separate LCD monitors but did not found yet how to manage this.
Into XP I can run very older software I keep for ages.
Thanks again for help and infos.

Edit* Found easy way to use second LCD for VM full screen.