fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to battleop

Re: Not a smart meter problem

said by battleop:

So you are excited to see your power bill go up?

I'm excited about not having to subsidize peak users. REally excited that everyone will be paying their fair share instead of me having to subsidize them.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
said by fifty nine:

I'm excited about not having to subsidize peak users. REally excited that everyone will be paying their fair share instead of me having to subsidize them.

Yeah, corporations are all about fair share, give me a break. The problem with your joy is that these utilities don't pass the savings on to supposed Honest Joes like you. That savings usually gets passed on as executive / management bonuses. I'm sure you would dig Internet UBB (Usage Based Billing) too.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
My utility is not a corporation.

I'm sure it sucks to be on one that is though!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to bbbc
Electricity is usage based billing isn't it? I get what your saying though, the difference is bandwidth is not a limited resource, sure the pipe may only be so big but given enough time there is not limit to how much data can travel through it. Electricity is a limited resource for now.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
said by me1212:

Electricity is usage based billing isn't it? I get what your saying though, the difference is bandwidth is not a limited resource, sure the pipe may only be so big but given enough time there is not limit to how much data can travel through it. Electricity is a limited resource for now.

Bandwidth is a limited resource too because it is oversubscribed.

The electric grid is oversubscribed AND there is limited generation capacity, so electric utilities have two reasons to ration.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fifty nine
I'd be happier if I didn't have to subsidize local power utility idiocy like them spending millions to put their name on a ball park a few years ago...as if they need to advertise to a CAPTIVE audience.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to fifty nine
The Grid is beyond oversubscribed and if it's not maintained and rebuilt from the ground up it won't be pretty for the next blackout. It will be more than NY and Ohio going out.

Toledo, OH
reply to skeechan
And yet; if they didn't do it your city would or someone else that wants the Game there. Would you rather your tax money be paid to maintain that park? Hell in Ohio Nationwide has several parks with their name on it; well they are based here as well, but still. Advertising is advertising.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by me1212:

Bandwidth is a limited resource too because it is oversubscribed.

You apparently don't understand what the term "limited resource" means -- it has a very specific usage and does not apply to something such as bandwidth.

DavePR

join:2008-06-04
Canyon Country, CA
reply to skeechan
Blame deregulation; Edison had many competitors back then.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to fifty nine
You really think they are doing this for your bottom line?

Toledo, OH
reply to iamwhatiam
yes it does. How do you figure its not? It is limited due to the amount of people you put on it. You can only go so far. Once you hit that cap you're done.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to fifty nine
"AND there is limited generation capacity"

thats what I meant when I said bandwidth was unlimited. Sure the pipe may be oversold and it may not be sending full speed out to you, but it doesn't have a limited generation capacity.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to DavePR
Its not exactly deregulation's fault. in fact some government regulation only permits there to be one telco or cableco or powerco per city or what have you.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to iamwhatiam
A 1Gbps link has 1Gbps of bandwidth, it isn't unlimited, you cannot push more than 1Gbps through it. If you want to increase bandwidth, you have to upgrade equipment and possibly the wiring.

While fiber may have theoretically infinite bandwidth, physical, practical, technical, economical, etc. constraints limits usable bandwidth to a tiny fraction of that, meaning that the achievable bandwidth at a particular moment in time is always very much finite. While speeds in excess of 3Tbps/strand have been demonstrated, the laser setups required to make it happen are not practical for everyday deployments, which is why those fancy arrangements are almost exclusively applied to trans-oceanic and other similar situations where pulling a new cable or pulling cables with gobs of spare strands is not an option. On trans-oceanic cables, each extra strand means one extra amplifier every 120km or so, so the number of strands that can be carried is limited by power.

While you may have lots of bandwidth between two points, it will never be unlimited.

zoomer

join:2007-09-06
Rochester, NY
reply to bbbc
Utilities are regulated entities. If everything remains the same, average users will see no change to their bill. Users who actively try to shift their consumption to off peak times save utilities from ramping expensive peak generation, and are compensated for their trouble. These who demand that their AC, washer, dryer, dishwasher and charging electric car all be done at these couple hours around 7pm and 7am can do so, and pay for the convenience.

iamwhatiam

@verizon.net
reply to InvalidError
You, too, should try looking up the term "limited resource" as it applies to "non-renewable" and [not to] "renewable"... and learn what each means as well as the situations where it's appropriate to use the term "limited resource" (which ain't here).

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

My utility is not a corporation.

I'm sure it sucks to be on one that is though!

Utility's are NOT your friend, even if it isn't a large corporation. They will all find ways to milk your pocket-book.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to DavePR
No they didn't. Distribution in the area is exclusively Edison. You don't have a choice in power distributor. And even for the energy source, ESP choice was suspended during this period (there was no "direct access" program), you had no 'choice' in sourcing energy.

Edison at the time (late 1990's to 2003 when the field was named for them) had a captive audience and simply wasted ratepayer dollars.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 25139889
No, some other advertiser would have done it, just as we have STAPLES Center and had the GREAT WESTERN forum. Even now, there isn't a brand name on the park, it's Angel Stadium. There is zero justification for Edison spending ratepayer money to advertise.