Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« Verizon Mi-Fi ProblemsLower data pricing »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

Uxbfool_t

join:2012-05-04

[General] Home Fusion install scheduled

Hello all, just signed up for Verizon's Home Fusion. Install is scheduled for May 10th. They could have scheduled a couple days earlier but the 10th fits my schedule best. Anyways the meat of the post, they said I was the first customer in the Tulsa area and in the state to be exact to schedule an install. I had called yesterday and was told that I had to go into a store to order it. The store rep said they had gotten a call from the national verizon data guys earlier gauging the interest for home fusion. It does have the 2 year contract and $350.00 ETF.
I'll post how it goes and what kinda of speeds it gets. On my Ipad I average between 8-14 down with 55ms pings. Hoping the cantenna kicks it up slightly.
For the people that want to complain about how expensive it is and how the cap is crap, all I can say is I agree 100% but it appears to be my best option available.

jupiter837_t

join:2012-05-05

Have you heard if Millenicom? They have a 20gb account on the Verizon network. You get 10gbs of 4g and the rest 3g. It's $69.00 a month, no contract.

facade

join:2002-02-20
Essex, MD
reply to Uxbfool_t

Are you an Xbox gamer? If you are I wanted to know if you get an open NAT with HomeFusion.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to Uxbfool_t

Keep us posted man

Aranarth_t

join:2012-05-03

said by decifal:

Keep us posted man

I'm also very interested in this.
Currently have the old Wildblue 500kbps service and I hope this will be a much better replacement once LTE reaches my home.

I've just about given up waiting for Frontier to deliver DSL.

Lamiel

join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI
Reviews:
·Skyweb Online
reply to Uxbfool_t

As jupiter837 pointed out, you can get the advantage of using Verizon's LTE network without the contract, without fees and taxes, and for a better price-to-cap ratio (20GB/month for $69.99). Millenicom is a legitimate company that has a contract with Verizon to resell their services (both 3G and 4G); take a peek at the Millenicom forum on this site for more info. I've been with Millenicom for over 3 years, and I'm very pleased with their service. I just recently upgraded to their 3G/4G plan, and I'm very much enjoying my contract-free LTE. I honestly can't see any reason to opt for HomeFusion service at the base tier - if you wanted to pay $120 for the 30GB plan, that would be different I suppose, but I would think that would be undoable for most people.
--
Core2Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz, XFX 780i SLI mobo, 2x MSI 8800GT OC in SLI, 4GB Patriot Viper DDR2-1066, Samsung 20x optical, Samsung F1 750GB HDD, Antec TP3 650 watt PSU, CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case, Vista Home Premium 64 bit...

tamasrepus

join:2009-10-12
united state
reply to Uxbfool_t

My install is scheduled too for May 14th.

Intending to have my camera out and take photos of the entire process. equipment, etc.

uxbfool

join:2011-04-22
Tulsa, OK
reply to Uxbfool_t

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well the install took 2.5 hours. They used an verizon app on their lte phone that tests the signal and was as 18% which they said is equivalent to 40% signal strength. On my ipad I get 3/5 bars. My residence is completely covered according to the verizon 4g data coverage map. From the antenna to the power supply and from the ps to the router uses a coax cable.

So far been ranging 8-10 downloads and 4-17 uploads and pings in 60's - 70's. I have only been able to check it out a short time so far and apparently having an issue where my desktop is maxing out around 5 up but the wireless devices are getting up to 17 uploads. I have not got any downloads much over 10 so far whereas my ipad would consistently get 12-14 sometimes up to 20 Mb/s downloads in the past.

Chalking the lower than ipad download speeds up to a fluke at this point. I definitely have some tweaking to do on my end but I am satisfied to this point.

pooker314

join:2005-04-12
Brush Prairie, WA

said by uxbfool:

They used an verizon app on their lte phone that tests the signal and was as 18% which they said is equivalent to 40% signal strength.

I don't know why, but whenever I see explanations like this, I am always reminded of a quote from The Naked Gun ("Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that.")

Nice to see that things are working out reasonably well. I'll be interested to see the experience of more users (and to see if Verizon gets serious about its pricing). If they doubled the caps (not just for the first few months), I would jump on this immediately.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to uxbfool

OMG, Please tell me you dident sign off on that install!

Need to get the moron back out there that installed it to fix his half assed connector, all that braiding is going to induce signal like a mofo! There is simply NO excuse to create a connector looking like that.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to Uxbfool_t

Who did the install? Someone told me that they use the Verizon landline techs but I am not 100 percent sure if they're correct. I do live in Verizon landline territory.

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to OSUGoose

Yep, looks like some of the work a contract WildBlue installer would do, quick and dirty, get the hell out of Dodge fast, move on the next job.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Not all of us, perhaps that one of the reasons why I'm not installing that stuff or DirecTV anymore, was making everyone look bad by doing quality work.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to uxbfool

What plan did you get?

uxbfool

join:2011-04-22
Tulsa, OK

30 GB / $120.00 mo.

scorp64

join:2012-02-23
Fredericksburg, VA

Well I'm jealous. We called yesterday to try and get HomeFusion installed and were told no. They said its because they "can't guarantee a consistent connection." Even though they acknowledge we have 4G in our area and even though my Xoom tablet with 4G has a consistent connection, even in our basement.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to uxbfool

Thats a bit pricey but I do love the ping.

elitegamer21

join:2012-05-12

Yup i got it i see 38mbps d/ 16 up. pings in 50's to 60's.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to Uxbfool_t

Specs

¡ROUTER SPECS
¡- Chipset: Broadcom 63619
¡- Dimensions: (H) 155 x (L) 230 x (D) 56 mm
¡- Form Factor: Router
¡- Mode: MoCA1.1 Band E
¡- Code Base: 2 * 11 MB (Dual Bank)
¡- Memory: 64/128 MB (FLASH/RAM)
¡- User Memory: Partitioned (21 MB)
¡- Data: 2 * USB 2.0
¡- Operating System: Linux
¡- Languages: U.S. English (Web UI)
¡- Power Connector: Straight DC Plug
¡- Other: Wi-Fi 802.11n 4 * Ethernet
¡- Weight: 450g

¡CANTENNA SPECS
¡- Chipset: LTE-L2000
¡- Dimensions: (D) 210 x (H)245 mm
¡- Form Factory: Outdoor Unit
¡- Mode: Band 13 LTE only
¡- Memory: LTE Module 16MB/64MB (FLASH/RAM)
¡- Memory: BHR 16MB/64MB (FLASH/RAM)
¡- Operating System: LTE-Nucleus Plus, BHR-Linux
¡- Audio, Image, Video Formats: Via User's PC/NB
¡- Languages: U.S. English (Web UI)
¡- Messaging: MT SMS only for MWI and WAP PUSH / OMADM
¡- Weight: 2.467kg

ScooterRC

join:2012-05-15
Fresno, CA
reply to Uxbfool_t

Hello all. I created an account just to respond to this forum. I had my HomeFushion installed earlier today. It took about 1.5 hours. He did say that it was an easy install. Very professional install. The router is full featured. I have gone through most of the settings and besides the layout it does not look much different than my dLink. I have connected it to my PS3 and turned on the DMZ for it and I have an open NAT now. You can also use the port forwarding feature for it but DMZ is easier. Hope this helps somebody.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

You know speedtest.net inflates speedtests, dont you?????
those results are not accurate!
any test hosted by OOKLA are inflated.

Try testmy.net and I bet you don't get the same (more accurate, doesn't use java or flash based tests)...

said by ScooterRC:

Hello all. I created an account just to respond to this forum. I had my HomeFushion installed earlier today. It took about 1.5 hours. He did say that it was an easy install. Very professional install. The router is full featured. I have gone through most of the settings and besides the layout it does not look much different than my dLink. I have connected it to my PS3 and turned on the DMZ for it and I have an open NAT now. You can also use the port forwarding feature for it but DMZ is easier. Hope this helps somebody.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to elitegamer21

I assure you....you ARE NOT getting those speeds off a HomeFusion LTE antenna!!!!!

said by elitegamer21:

Yup i got it i see 38mbps d/ 16 up. pings in 50's to 60's.

ScooterRC

Fresno, CA
reply to compuguybna

:::.. Combined Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 16130 Kbps or 15.8 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 12.8 MB or 13107 kB or 13421773 bytes
Download Speed:: 2016 kB/s or 2 MB/s
Upload Connection:: 10713 Kbps or 10.5 Mbps
Upload Test Size:: 5.8 MB or 5983 kB or 6126840 bytes
Upload Speed:: 1339 kB/s or 1.3 MB/s
Tested At:: »TestMy.net version:12
Test Time:: 2012-05-15 20:21:31 Local Time
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/gOAQ5Yn.H4AayxG
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0) [!]

Are there any other speed test sites you would like me to run? I didn't know about the OOKLA sites. I still think that the results from testmy.net are great for LTE. Is there a more in depth speed test?

ScooterRC

Fresno, CA
reply to Uxbfool_t

Hopefully these results will please some people. 19.1Mbps Download and 12.5Mbps Upload. So far I'm pleased with the service. Yes it is pricey for a limited plan, but when you have no other options besides dial-up and satelite I believe its a good choice. Granted I have only had this for one day, but I will post back here if there are any changes with my connection.

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 19608 Kbps or 19.1 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 50 MB or 51200 kB or 52428800 bytes
Download Speed:: 2451 kB/s or 2.4 MB/s
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/db/TesCnZq
Test Time:: 2012-05-15 20:31:32 Local Time
1MB Download in 0.42 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~7 Minutes - 350X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 51200 kB took 20.889 seconds to complete
Running at 282% of hosts average (Wireless Data Service Provider Corporation)
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0) [!]

:::.. Upload Test Results ..:::
Upload Connection:: 12845 Kbps or 12.5 Mbps
Upload Test Size:: 23.4 MB or 23933 kB or 24507360 bytes
Upload Speed:: 1606 kB/s or 1.6 MB/s
Validation Link:: »testmy.net/db/epFqvUI
Test Time:: 2012-05-15 20:33:18 Local Time
1MB Upload in 0.64 Seconds - 1GB Upload in ~11 Minutes - 229X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 23933 kB took 14.906 seconds to complete
Running at 823% of hosts average (Wireless Data Service Provider Corporation)
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0) [!]

Breezy

@bellsouth.net

I am considering handling the installs in my area for the Home Fusion. The contractor supplying the services, Verizon, and the manufacturer is asking for alot of it's techs. I would still be interested in handling the installs if it looks like this product is really going to take off.

I am also curious as to what area some of the people live in with "bad installs", as I know some of the techs.

sorrows182

@rr.com

I would totally be down with this if it had unlimited data or a better tiered pricing, 120$ for 30GB of data is rather limited for someone who uses Netflix and games quite a bit. I'll stick with my 4g hotspot on my phone.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to ScooterRC

Hi ScooterRC, the only reason I was questioning the original speedtest.net test was that . . .
the theoretical LIMIT of the HomeFusion 4G LTE is about 12mbps down, and 5mpbs up (not sure whether that's a limit of the TOWER, or cantenna (antenna).

How far are you away from the LTE tower?

There is another speedtest I try sometimes . . .

»www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest2/

something else that might be going on is....like cable HSI, there is sometimes a "powerboost" during the first minute or two of the download. not sure if LTE does this or not, but it would definately inflate your download speed, since most speedtests are less than 20-30 seconds (which is the time frame for the powerboost).

ALSO, LTE is for the most part "under-used" in some communities. Until more smartphones hop on, you might see your tower is under-utilized. HomeFusion was used to bring revenue in that aspect as well.

anyway, those look like great speeds.....Just down blow thru your cap doing speedtests all the time!!!

Keep us updated! My brother is outside cable/dsl, and I might recommend this to him if it proves to be a winner (He is 5 miles from the LTE tower).

said by ScooterRC:

:::.. Combined Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 16130 Kbps or 15.8 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 12.8 MB or 13107 kB or 13421773 bytes
Download Speed:: 2016 kB/s or 2 MB/s
Upload Connection:: 10713 Kbps or 10.5 Mbps
Upload Test Size:: 5.8 MB or 5983 kB or 6126840 bytes
Upload Speed:: 1339 kB/s or 1.3 MB/s
Test Time:: 2012-05-15 20:21:31 Local Time
Validation:: »testmy.net/db/gOAQ5Yn.H4AayxG

Are there any other speed test sites you would like me to run? I didn't know about the OOKLA sites. I still think that the results from testmy.net are great for LTE. Is there a more in depth speed test?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to sorrows182

There's NEVER going to be an unlimited option for a device like this (especially used from a pc).

said by sorrows182 :

I would totally be down with this if it had unlimited data or a better tiered pricing, 120$ for 30GB of data is rather limited for someone who uses Netflix and games quite a bit. I'll stick with my 4g hotspot on my phone.

elitegamer21

reply to ScooterRC

You don't need the dms on ps3 nat is allready open. Atleast is for me.

elitegamer21

reply to compuguybna

wanna bet ?