uniqs
share rss forum feed

jojosuburban

join:2003-04-18
Prairie City, IA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Mediacom To Start Charging For Phone Modem

Got this notice with my bill on line today. Looks like we will be paying another $5.00 a month to have phone service. This makes Mediacom phone service less competitive to Century-link (my local POTS provider) provider or another VOIP service like Vonage.

"Important Account Information
Mediacom works hard to control our costs in order to keep your prices fair and reasonable.
In spite of our efforts, increased expenses now make it necessary for us to change our
equipment rental fees. Effective with your next statement, a $5.00 phone modem rental fee
will apply for Mediacom Phone customers.
This fee is in addition to equipment fees that apply for Internet service. Customers who are in
a promotion or a contract will not see these changes until their promotional period ends or
their contract expires. For customers who do not wish to rent, Mediacom offers modems for
purchase. Call us for details."

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

That sucks considering they will not provision customer owned phone modems.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK

1 edit

Indeed, it should be clearly listed in advertised monthly costs. I mean, might as well make the service free! (With $20 monthly required modem rental fee.)

Edit: Ok, well according to the above, you can purchase a modem form them (but at what cost?)

Lazy Senior_t

join:2012-05-07
reply to Anonymous

Mediacom phone service is very poor. I can not understand anyone getting it.

I have Verizon Home Phone Connect: »www.verizonwireless.com/home-pho···ct.shtml

This is an interface to regular home phones using Verizon Wireless.

$20 a month, no long distance charges, 100 percent reliable and no internet service needed. Free equipment with a 2 year contract.

I have had it for a year, it is just like having a wired phone except the long distance is free. The best $20 a month I have ever spent. If it is available in your area I highly recommend it. I believe it comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
reply to jojosuburban

So now I pay a total of $10 to rent the single device I use for both internet and phone???

Anonymous
Premium
IA

said by tsduke:

So now I pay a total of $10 to rent the single device I use for both internet and phone???

I sure hope not. If that's the case I would dump phone service in an instant. Not sure who's making these decisions but they have no idea that a lot of people get the phone so they can pay less.
--

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

Sure sounds like it will based on their statement though doesn't it?

"This fee is in addition to equipment fees that apply for Internet service."

If so, I will drop the phone very quickly.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to Lazy Senior_t

My experience with mediacom phone service is very different from yours. I got phone service in 2005 I think (beta testing) and the service has been rock solid.

However these days most people use cell phones...
--

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Anonymous:

I was already to drop Century link, since we have 2 cellphones, and a basic line was costing $29/month with no long distance and no caller ID or anything. Then Mediacom sent me a postcard for a 24 month phone service deal for $9.95/month and $9.95 install, since I already had HSI & Family cable. I switched, and there was no problem porting my number into Mediacom.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

said by wth:

said by Anonymous:

I was already to drop Century link, since we have 2 cellphones, and a basic line was costing $29/month with no long distance and no caller ID or anything. Then Mediacom sent me a postcard for a 24 month phone service deal for $9.95/month and $9.95 install, since I already had HSI & Family cable. I switched, and there was no problem porting my number into Mediacom.

i had phone service with mediacom for about ~3 years, i got tired of it going out so often and always needing a "tech out" even if the problem was on their lines (social anxiety disorder, i HATE having to deal with people if their is actually no NEED to) was also tired of the "up to" b.s. for the internet speed. i had finally reached the breaking point thanks to budget issues.

so, since they usually pull the "you should have a cell phone" line when you point out their service goes out when the power does. i called them up, and very nicely asked if they could match the $9.95/mo fee my cell provider would charge me for another line. i was told no, retention also told me no.

i head over to my cell phone providers site, pick out a phone, initiate the port process (after giving mediacom their 7 day notice of course) 2 days later my phones an extra line on my cell phone plan for $9.95/mo INCLUDING voice mail (something mediacom started charging ~$5/mo for shortly after i got their service to begin with)

what really ticks me off, not even a full month after the port out, i get an ad in the mail begging me to come back for, yup $9.95/mo for 24 months. and about 2 weeks ago some guy knocks on my door selling phone service (was rather pushy actually, even AFTER i explained to him why i ported out) then a few days after that i start getting sales calls from mediacom for their phone service offering, yeah, $9.95/mo for 24 months.

sorry mediacom, but when it comes to phone service, i dont play the back and forth game. you want me back, you pay the $300.00 ETF for my cell phone contract, and you give me the phone service for $1/mo for the first 24 months (i KNOW you can do it, you used to have that promo) then not a penny more than $9.95 a month after that for life. that is the ONLY way youl get me back. and if you keep bugging me with freaking phone calls, mailers, and people knocking on my door, youl lose a TV/internet customer as well.

i mean really, why would i switch back for any thing less than that? with phone service that goes out when the power does, that goes out when the cable goes out because it needs a signal adjustment (happens almost like clock work every year when the weather changes) then the fact that when you pull maintenance and the modems get shut down, half the time the phone didnt come back right, and you had to power cycle the modem other wise calls just didnt connect.

as has been said a few times before, there phone is considered "entertainment purposes only" (i believe but am not sure thats why they dont partisipate in the lifeline program for low income people, i mean, why else would they turn down free money unless they just couldn't meet the requirements of reliable phone service.) so why pay close to "pots" price for entertainment? magic jack = entertainment. look what that goes for and compare it to mediacom.

ok, this came out longer than i planned on, sorry about that

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

said by tsduke:

I sure hope not. If that's the case I would dump phone service in an instant. Not sure who's making these decisions but they have no idea that a lot of people get the phone so they can pay less.

The phone has also been rock solid for me. I had WAY more outages with Qwest.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
reply to jojosuburban

So does a user who uses the Mediacom-provided modem for both telephone and internet get charged $5 or $10? The statement quoted in the original post could be interpreted either way. If it is $10, then the cost is really a port (MAC) charge, $5 for each port on the device, and not directly a modem rental cost.

MediacomChad, can you clarify?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
reply to jojosuburban

Beginning June 1, 2012, existing customers will begin seeing a $5 per month rental fee for our eMTA (phone) modems. As part of this change, customers will have the option of purchasing an eMTA from us for $149.95. The $5 modem rental will be in addition to a $5 internet modem rental (If using the same modem for both services, both rental fees still apply - $10 total).

If you are on a current phone promotion you will not be charged until the promotion you are on ends.

For those of you interested in purchasing a phone modem here is some information:

It will be a brand new modem that supports DOCSIS 3.0 and has built in wireless (Wireless-N) and this will waive the internet and phone modem fees. The purchased modem will have a 1 year warranty and we will replace the modem during that 1 year if it is found to be defective.

We are currently reviewing the potential for customers to purchase modems from other retailers. As soon as we have more information on this I will let everyone know.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

WhatHappened

join:2004-08-06
Waseca, MN

I would like to know if the Firewall/NAT can be disabled on the modem you can buy?

I tried the wireless/DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway modem Mediacom had and it sucked. I could not disable the NAT and Firewall features. I need to have my own router know my internet IP address.

Also with WPS security issues, I don't want any wireless router on my network that doesn't allow that feature to be disabled.

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to MediacomChad

Looks like I might be cancelling telephone service. Wife and I are going to have a nice talk about it tonight. I'm tired of being nickeled and dimed with all these BS charges. Rarely did I have issues with the phone service, either. It's been really reliable, even when the internet's been out. It's sad since no cell phone provider can cover this area well. I'll probably just rely on Skype or some other VoIP service.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to WhatHappened

As soon as I get the for sure word on which brand/model it is I will let you know.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to MediacomChad

Why force people to buy a wireless gateway? Why not sell Cisco DPC3208 (wired and phone only)?

Any wireless gateway provided by Mediacom requires Clear Access service and it's $3.95/mo so Chad does that mean people will need to pay this fee too?
--

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA
reply to MediacomChad

And Mediacom continues to make thoughtless and terrible decisions. What a joke. First it's stupid to charge $10 rental for one single device. I've had mine for years. 2nd, it's stupid to make the change when the only current alternate option is to buy a crappy from Mediacom rather than retail options. That device isn't worth $1.49 little lone $149.

I will be dropping the phone before I'm charged for this rental. Might even be time to kill Mediacom as my internet provider too.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

Glad I don't have phone service and I bought my own modem for internet.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to thedragonmas

said by thedragonmas:

i had phone service with mediacom for about ~3 years, i got tired of it going out so often

so, since they usually pull the "you should have a cell phone" line when you point out their service goes out

i mean really, why would i switch back for phone service that goes out when the power does, that goes out when the cable goes out because it needs a signal adjustment (happens almost like clock work every year when the weather changes) then the fact that when you pull maintenance and the modems get shut down, half the time the phone didnt come back right, and you had to power cycle the modem other wise calls just didnt connect.

as has been said a few times before, there phone is considered "entertainment purposes only"

thedragonmas See Profile, you said it all for me as well.... I had them tell me I needed a cell phone for outages one too many times and it had me realize why pay for their phone that didn't work well, a service that was so very frustrating....

I dropped the voip, and went cell only nearly 2 years ago... much less frustration in my world now.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to Anonymous

Our wireless gateways do not require the clear access service. It is optional with the home networking service. Generally, we would not give out wireless modem combos without paying for the wireless service but when limited stock requires, we do not add Clear Access.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to MediacomChad

I already have a modem that is currently capable of using the phone service that I haven't been using. Will I be able to get this provisioned and return the modem I currently rent from Mediacom? I'd rather avoid buying another modem for $150 when I have one that's almost identical to the one I currently have. The only reason I'm not currently using it for the internet portion is because I didn't have any spare power outlets nearby, but if I'd be able to get rid of the Mediacom modem, then that would be a non-issue.

Seriously, charging people $10 to use the device for two different features when it needs to be there either way (if you have both services) is a complete ripoff. Do you seriously not understand how wrong this sounds? I'm extremely disappointed. It seems like every time I turn around, Mediacom is doing something that's an insult to current customers who subscribe to all three of their services. I don't want to shop around for phone service, as aside from this I've been very happy, but that point might be approaching.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

We are currently reviewing the potential for customers to purchase modems from other retailers or use their own that they already have for phone service. As soon as we have more information on this I will let everyone know.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

said by MediacomChad:

We are currently reviewing the potential for customers to purchase modems from other retailers or use their own that they already have for phone service. As soon as we have more information on this I will let everyone know.

Why doesn't Mediacom do the right thing and have a plan for customer owned devices before starting the new charge?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

Rocco wants the cash.

tsduke
Premium
Waterloo, IA

He won't net much cash if several customers drop the phone.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

tsduke, realistically, this has actually made me think about not just dropping phone, but also TV service. I realized how little cable I actually watch as I started thinking about other ways to save on my bill tonight, and have been talking with other people in our household about it. Until another internet provider can offer speeds beyond 1.5 in this area (which is as high as CenturyLink goes currently) I'll be stuck with that, but dropping TV and moving phone might be what we end up doing. Between the digital adapters that will start costing $3/month next year, the voicemail charge (which was something originally free), a charge just to have a cable box, and now the modem double dip...ugh. And satellite isn't any better in regards to TV when you start taking into account multiple TVs in a household. I'm honestly thinking I could learn to live with just OTA networks.

MediacomChad, know that I don't hold you responsible for any of this. I still appreciate all the help you've given people here, myself included, over the past few years, and I know you can only do so much. But please, if you're in a position to pass on these concerns to people above you, do so. As a customer, I hate being in this position. I'm generally happy with the quality of my service. The picture's good, the phone's hardly ever down, and my internet connection is stable and fast. But I also hate the feeling that I'm being gouged or ripped off. You're basically raising the price of phone service by $5 across the board, but tacking it on as an equipment fee instead. It feels underhanded, shady, and, I don't know if it will do any good, but I will be passing my concerns on to local politicians and a few people I know in the media as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't even look twice at their bills, but our household is on a very fixed income right now, and even $5 makes me stop and think.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

Yes, there are many options for cord cutters now if they are not huge content consumers of the latest and greatest. Netflix is cheap and has a lot of streaming content, although the movie selections are pretty limited. There is free Hulu with commercials and paid Hulu. A mix of OTA, Netflix, Hulu, and other internet accessible content will cost a fraction of Mediacom TV service.

lotusracer
Premium
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

You're basically raising the price of phone service by $5 across the board, but tacking it on as an equipment fee instead. It feels underhanded, shady

yep, you may remember that's the point we all made when they decided to charge for internet modems. I always figured this phone modem thing was going to come next.
--
Humanity - The greatest natural disaster of all time.

Anonymous
Premium
IA
reply to danawhitaker

A lot of people don't notice these 'sneaky' price increases and that's why companies do it. Sales people get to advertise lower price and company can charge more at the same time.
--