spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Fighterpilot
join:2000-04-20
Saint Louis, MO

Fighterpilot

Zone Alarm 3.0 - Yuck!

Just automatically upgraded to to the latest version of ZAP 3.0. What a hunk of crap. Very slow to load upon reboot (~2 min.) The previous 2.6.357 version loaded in no time at all. Also noticed that web pages would not load completely and in some cases not at all.

I finally got fed up and disabled the privacy setting but that didn't help a bit. I just ended up removing it and going back to 2.6.

Anyone else noticed problems like these?

thanx

grokdesigns
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Laveen, AZ

grokdesigns

Premium Member

i was having problems with it crashing when i shutdown windows xp, finally got fed up and went to Sygate Firewall

Hutchy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-14
australia430

Hutchy to Fighterpilot

Premium Member

to Fighterpilot
Others have had same problems, including myself. Read through other posts here. Close your browser. Clean out your temp files. And re-open browser. Most of us have disabled ZAP's Privacy options and have gone back to using Web Filters. Such as Proxo & AdSubtract. But there some issues with using proxy servers with ZAP 3.0.082. You can Read Here about the problems i had. And read Here & Here & just for luck one More. There is a lot of information in other posts here that may help you out with problems you are having.

CableLane5
join:2001-03-16
Chester, VA

CableLane5 to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
ZAP 3 was killing my DSL connection got tried of trying to make it work so I switch to Norton Personal Firewall included in Symantec's (Norton Internet Security) package. No more problems!!!

subzero57
Premium Member
join:2000-06-28
Kent, WA

subzero57 to Fighterpilot

Premium Member

to Fighterpilot
How can I get back my original Zone Alarm Pro 2.6? I paid for it and want it back. ZA has caused my pc some issues with certain programs. Please help. Thanks so much.

indianafanatic
Premium Member
join:2001-10-14
Noblesville, IN

indianafanatic

Premium Member

I was able to uninstall 3.0 and re-install the previous version. It went smoothly with no problems.

Fighterpilot
join:2000-04-20
Saint Louis, MO

Fighterpilot

I just wrote an email to ZA tech support telling them this version was "less than stellar" and that I wanted the link to download the last known good version of 2.6 which was build 362. I reinstalled ZAP 2.6 from my CD but got only 2.6.357. If I do an automatic update, I'll just get back the hunk of crap I just got rid of.

Ill let you know how it turns out with ZA tech support

tke711
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Everywhere

tke711

Premium Member

said by ajtroglio:
I just wrote an email to ZA tech support telling them this version was "less than stellar" and that I wanted the link to download the last known good version of 2.6 which was build 362. I reinstalled ZAP 2.6 from my CD but got only 2.6.357. If I do an automatic update, I'll just get back the hunk of crap I just got rid of.

Ill let you know how it turns out with ZA tech support
Here's a link to an older version of ZA:
»download.cnet.com/downlo ··· 258.html

I didn't try it first, but it looks to be the last build before the new 3.0.

Bobb5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
Kent, WA

Bobb5 to Fighterpilot

Premium Member

to Fighterpilot
Here is a link to a easier free Firewall with less problems
»www.sygate.com/swat/prod ··· d_ov.htm

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to Fighterpilot

Premium Member

to Fighterpilot
Judging from all the problems others have posted here concerning ZAP 3.0.081 and 3.0.082, I'm glad I've held off and stuck with ZAP 2.6.362, which continues to work just fine for my purposes. I use AdSubtract Pro for privacy.

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

I had ZA until my license ran out, and it started freezing on me.
Went to Sygate, but it crashed continuously, so now I am using Kerio.
Thank goodness for those over in that forum and the links provided to help with configuration. Now I am not looking back.
ZA is history.
gamr
join:2000-11-18
Oakland, CA

gamr to indianafanatic

to indianafanatic
said by indianafanatic:
I was able to uninstall 3.0 and re-install the previous version. It went smoothly with no problems.

Ditto. ZA 3 caused the computer to crash when I tried to shutdown (Win XP). I uninstalled it, and reinstalled 2.6. All's well.

OzarkMan$
join:2000-12-22
Ozark Mtns.

OzarkMan$ to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
aj....IMO there are valid reasons for your "Very slow to load upon reboot" and "web pages would not load completely". As you may know ZAP 3.0 has added a few new features not found in ZAP 2.6.xx.
1)The Privacy control(cookies,add blocking and mobile control(scripts, embedded objects and mime objects)
2)Program authentication

Both of those added features do add to the overall use of system resources but should in no way be cause for not using this version. Just as Tiny is not for everybody, neither is ZAP 3.0. Both of these fine programs take some getting use to. Neither of these two programs can be classified as plug and play IMO. There is a wonderful pdf file available for download at Zone Labs site and the help button in ZAP itself is full of wonderful suggestions\reading. Many individuals have downloaded this version and I will not make the claim that MOST have dropped this version because I personally know of quite a few that have taken the time to understand what this version is all about and are very comfortable using this version.

Having said that I'd like to offer you a few suggestions if you have not already given up and gone back to something more basic that you can work with.

1)Privacy....turn off Cookie control, Ad blocking and Mobile code control
2)Program control....click on each program that you have given access to and as you click on each program down in the bottom right corner is an options button....click on that and select the Security tab, then select Authenticate program only

For the most part this SHOULD put you back at seeing about the same amount of resources being used when you were using ver 2.6.xx. As time goes on read what each section is about thru the help button or the pdf file mentioned earlier. If after you attempt all those items and ZAP 3.0 is then not for you, so be it, different strokes for different folks.

In some ways ZAP 3.0 reminds me of when WinXp came out and some individuals were blown away with the new features and did not want to take the time to learn. IMO....this is the position some individuals are taking now. Instead of using the resources Zone Labs provided....PDF file and the ? HELP button....some users are just throwing in the towel. I'll be the first to admit there are a few burps from time to time but overall....IMO....this new version will be used by MANY individuals succesfully, why, because they took the time to learn.

Good luck what ever your choice.

Uniondog
join:2001-04-21
Vallejo, CA

Uniondog

Thanks OzarkMan, made some changes you suggested and it works for me

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
New York, NY

EmilioG

Premium Member

I went back to ZAP 2.6.362. Good thing I archive my downloads and files. I saved the ZAPro26bbnd.exe download when I updated. With ZA you never know when you'll have to roll back, so I don't take any chances.

If I can upload the file to someone, LMK.

XBL2009
------
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

XBL2009 to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
I guess I'm the only one who likes ZA 3 and hasn't had any problems with it. It works great with XP.

subzero57
Premium Member
join:2000-06-28
Kent, WA

subzero57 to EmilioG

Premium Member

to EmilioG
Hello there EmilioG you think you can upload me that file for ZA Pro? Not ZA 3.0 either. I can't believe I even downloaded that verison. I'm must have been drunk at the time and just got download happy. Anyway thanks for the help.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country
join:2001-06-21
Canada

Bunko Kanazawa to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
To be honest...I just installed it this weekend (ZA Pro 3.0) on my Windows XP machine and I've had no problems. I was using 2.6 PRO and was a little reluctant to upgrade but it seems to be a painless transition. Loading time is the same as 2.6 on my machine. I just have to get used to the new interface.

I noticed that a new feature is it blocks ADs and and pop ups...does this feature actually work? Or am I better of with Pop Stopper 2.6?

Hutchy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-14
australia430

Hutchy to Fighterpilot

Premium Member

to Fighterpilot
After installing ZAP 3.0.081 & now .082. After a bit of configuration. Disabling Cookie & Ad Filters. Figuring out how to do get AdSubtract Pro to run without Server Rights. I must state ZAP 3.0.082 by far out ways the older versions. The new user interface is easier to run with. Some have jumped the gun here, and not really given ZAP 3.0.082 a fair go. Some of us here, beta tested ZAP 3.0. As to most releases of ZAP up-dates, there have always been issues and bugs. Give it time, The bugs will be sorted out.
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to OzarkMan$

Premium Member

to OzarkMan$
Wish I had said that. Either way you got a vote from me. I've never known a new release of software to go totally 100% smooth for all users. I know a lot of people supposedly had issues with ZoneAlarm products when XP came out. But I've never had 1 issue running past versions of ZoneAlarm Pro on XP Pro. But with that said. I've seen a lot of post where users where having issues. Sometimes this could be the software - true. Other times maybe just machine specific - do to that persons configuration. Or maybe just plain user error. But ZoneLabs has always had good help info. I myself don't use it as much as I should. Either way the company is aware of the issues. And they are in the process of doing all they can to correct these issues. Less than 1 day after the new release - they had version 3.0.082 Which was a patch to help with reported issues = »www.zonelabs.com/product ··· #3.0.082 I'm still getting the issue it was suppose to fix with this site = »www.v4l.com/lharper/ when I have my Cookie Control set in ZoneAlarm Pro 3 set to remove private header information. When I turn that setting off. The site pops up no problem. So there is trail & error involved. And yes there may be a few bugs that need worked out. Maybe another week or 2 in beta would have resolved some of this. But sometimes there are a lot of things that even a great beta test may not catch. Either way I think the company is taking user complaints very seriously. And they are working to address the issues.

edtarboosh
join:2000-08-01
North Benton, OH

edtarboosh to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
Running XP Home. No Problems so far, and not seeing all the DNS alerts from all the different processes(Svhost etc) that I had with 2.6. My observation is that when you refuse cookies, some sites slow down. Just refuse all cookies in IE and see what happens.

NJ Devil
join:2001-06-04
Old Bridge, NJ

NJ Devil to Fighterpilot

to Fighterpilot
Seems great here, hasnt lost its settings yet (like 2.6 often did). No problems, speed loss or otherwise. i have win xp home, using also xp firewall, and mcafee virusscan, ver 6.... i have to wonder what kind of computers and software you people with all these major problems are running?
gamr
join:2000-11-18
Oakland, CA

gamr

said by njdevil:
i have to wonder what kind of computers and software you people with all these major problems are running?
Well, in my case, Win XP home, no xp firewall, and Norton Antivirus 2002. Also running Spamkiller 2.86. Browser-wise, I generally use Netscape Comm 4.88 or 6.2.

It worked fine, so far as I could tell, but it wouldn't let me shutdown my computer. Because of that problem, I probably didn't keep loaded long enough to see how well it functioned otherwise.