Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US

New HD channels coming anytime soon?

It's funny, every time I drop off a package at the local Staples near me, I am always seeing a stack of boxes going back to Verison. I am wondering if people are leaving the service or it could be they received new boxes.

It's just that Fios has been stagnate and worse, their VOD has taken a step backwards in my opinion. So what is the deal? Are they waiting to be taken over or is this it?

Sorry, I have given up on the their technologies, Fiber Optics is a waste as is that MPEG4, Verizon, in my opinion has never liven up to the hype they initially generated.

If they show any interest, it seems to be in the New York Market only. Here we are in Philly, stall watching many games in SD format. Because, all our space is used up with channels to make the central NJ happy. Again, its all about NY with them.

Sorry, I needed a rant to stimulate my day.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

I'm still a happy FiOS subscriber though you make a valid point that Verizon can no longer keep saying as the big selling point their technology is better then cable if they can't start to add more HD channels.

Even if the delivery method of services by FTTH is better what the customer notices that cable tv has caught up to FiOS in the amount of HD channels even if they have extra digital compression to be able to add those channels.

I agree if they can add 5 RSN HD channels for the NYC area they should make the space to add TCN HD.

Another thing that is less important, we are still waiting for FiOS to purchase the equipment to offer the local forecast on The Weather Channel HD.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to Acct101

I'm still very happy with Verizon Fios. I feel there VOD has gotten a little bit better. They do even offer some before theatre options. But their biggest selling point to me also is their internet. It's the best internet I've ever had!

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Acct101

By all means, feel free to drop your FiOS TV subscription and move back to Comcast.

Expand your moderator at work

CableGuyJoe

join:2012-05-15
united state

1 edit
reply to Acct101

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by CableGuyJoe:

I agree, from what I'm hearing a major reorganization is about to happend. They want there new VOD platform to work but they just don't have the talent. I would like to see this content begin to stream right but I'm thinking they are making it worse by letting it get too out of control. Have they even launched any real MPEG 4 content yet?

There is MPEG 4 content. There is a thread on it.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3

As of today, the MPEG-4 content is:

- 3 MLB Extra Innings / NHL Center Ice HD channels on 1472-1474
- 5 Spanish Package HD channels on 1516, 1670, 1690, 1692 & 1730

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Acct101

VOD - you mean Video on Demand? I could care less. Got an Apple TV and use Netflix for VOD.

We just re-upped for FIOS in our new house. Love it - awesome Internet, great TV, and phone. The PQ is great and for the shows we watch it's fine. Don't need all the junk HD stations and it workd for us. The technology is great (love the multiroom DVR) and we're happy.

What I don't get is why Verizon doesn't put FIOS everywhere. It is truly superior technology and should be in all their footprint. As a VZ shareholder and a consumer they should be getting it out to as many people as possible.

I know where we moved, we're in a newer development and it's a FIOS area. Comcast is also available. The majority of the houses have ONT's on them. So there are lots of people that have FIOS.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

The costs for expanding the foothold I presume doesn't give enough ROI. Technically, other areas are free to install the fiber infrastructure, and have Verizon sell them their FIOS service, like the Frontier areas.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA

said by Greg2600:

The costs for expanding the foothold I presume doesn't give enough ROI. Technically, other areas are free to install the fiber infrastructure, and have Verizon sell them their FIOS service, like the Frontier areas.

Don't get how. They have to maintain a failing copper plant that has no opportunity to sell anything other than phone service. Put in FIOS and they can sell Internet, Phone, and TV. Seems like it would make sense - you could sell someone 3 "expensive" services vs 1 "cheap" service... I know as an investor, I'd rather they be able to offer 3 services with less maintenance overhead.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

You're also talking about building the infrastructure (VHO's). Paying the contracts to install the wiring, which in and of itself is not cheap materials. You have to go through tons of municipal and state level permit processes. After that's all done, then you have to market and try to sell it against cable competitors who could fight as much as Cablevision has.

jodhak

@rga.com
reply to Acct101

Isn't this about new HD channels coming soon?

Speaking of.. are we getting any new HD channels?!?!

there is a pretty big list building up that we don't have..

not having FuelTV & GolTV is a real loss for us.. Sports in SD is just pathetic and ruins the experience..

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

I've yet to read anything about more channels.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to Greg2600

said by Greg2600:

You're also talking about building the infrastructure (VHO's). Paying the contracts to install the wiring, which in and of itself is not cheap materials. You have to go through tons of municipal and state level permit processes. After that's all done, then you have to market and try to sell it against cable competitors who could fight as much as Cablevision has.

They should 100% build out the areas they already serve. They could keep the same VHO and just run it from there. I'm all for state franchise agreements or none at all. Nobody gives a cr@p about the public access channels and the other BS that is thrown in to make the franchise system work.

And the infrastructure cost can be amortized over, what 70 years or so? Yes, it will hit this month/quarter/year's financials but it will better prepare VZ for the long haul. Sadly that's what investors miss - long term perspective. Network speed and connectivity is only going to become quicker and more important so it's better to do it now and do it right rather than wait and become a dinosaur.

URFloorMatt

join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Acct101

I'd bet on Universal Sports HD prior to the Olympics -- Friday, July 27.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Acct101

They added eight HD channels recently

FiOS has added eight HD channels over the last few weeks. They were all MPEG4 channels. I don't subscribe to the baseball package or the Spanish package so i don't receive any of those new HD channels. But they are new HD channels that FiOS has added.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to Acct101

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

I thought I read a post that Verizon has a plan to migrate the 6 .TV channels to mpeg4 later this year. This will then free up 2 Mpeg2 HD slots. Anyone have the url link for it?

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

said by bohratom:

I thought I read a post that Verizon has a plan to migrate the 6 .TV channels to mpeg4 later this year. This will then free up 2 Mpeg2 HD slots. Anyone have the url link for it?

»Re: New Fios channel coming soon....

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

Officially they aren't moving channels to MPEG4...

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Sh···5#M14534

PS: FWIW, while I think all of DirecTV is MPEG4, I read Cox is trialing a package that is. As for current channels, I believe all ESPN and Discovery are now sent to providers in MPEG-4.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by Greg2600:

Officially they aren't moving channels to MPEG4...

»businessforums.verizon.net/t5/Sh···5#M14534

Ill take nycdave's word over a verizon customer support rep any day. According to Dave they are migrating the .TV's to mpeg4.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101

So would I, I was being tongue in cheek. Dave's quote, was that his suggestion or what was happening?

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Not having TV Land-HD is a definite problem, and will only get worse. Its become a major source of original programming with the success of "Hot In Cleveland", and wives like my own might prevail when it comes to deciding pay TV providers.

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ

said by KCrimson:

Not having TV Land-HD is a definite problem, and will only get worse. Its become a major source of original programming with the success of "Hot In Cleveland", and wives like my own might prevail when it comes to deciding pay TV providers.

Most of the shows on TV Land are re-runs for 20 or 30 years ago, none of which is in HD. Perhaps "Hot in Cleveland" is but not much else.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

As I mentioned, that program is VERY popular with adult women in particular (the demographic that controls MOST families' purse-strings). The network has been concentrating on adding original content and targets the Gen-X (80's 90's 00's) audience's shows more-and-more. What this means is that even many of their "retro" shows will be/are available in HD - think Everybody Loves Raymond, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, etc. Not all "old shows" are SD-only, especially for a network like this. Also - they're about to launch a new spin-off of Hot In Cleveland ("Soul Man"), and already have two other prime-time original series running. Verizon can't afford to ignore this major source of HD programming much longer.

itguy05

Carlisle, PA
reply to skohly

said by skohly:

Most of the shows on TV Land are re-runs for 20 or 30 years ago, none of which is in HD. Perhaps "Hot in Cleveland" is but not much else.

Depends. A lot of those shows were probably shot on 35mm film. If they do the transfer right you can get HD out of it as 35mm film has tons of resolution.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

said by itguy05:

Depends. A lot of those shows were probably shot on 35mm film. If they do the transfer right you can get HD out of it as 35mm film has tons of resolution.

Only really old shows like from the 60's. Most of the 70's stuff through the 90's is on video tape. Converting like that would be done for a Blu-Ray release, and it's very expensive. Only shows like Seinfeld and Star Trek have gotten that kind of treatment. The point is TV Land has very little true HD right now. We're still waiting for first run networks like BBC America, G4, H2, and sports networks like CBS College to be added.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10

said by Greg2600:

said by itguy05:

Only shows like Seinfeld and Star Trek have gotten that kind of treatment.

They also converted "Friends" to 16x9.
+ an SD show on an HD channel still looks better than an SD show on an SD channel.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

Depends. A lot of those shows were probably shot on 35mm film. If they do the transfer right you can get HD out of it as 35mm film has tons of resolution

waiting for I Love Lucy and The Honeymooners in HD

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to dcowboy

said by dcowboy See Profile
They also converted "Friends" to 16x9.
+ an SD show on an HD channel still looks better than an SD show on an SD channel.

Yes, them too. I watch all of those on WPIX, WGN America, and TBS in HD.