Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bruin23
Premium
join:2004-06-17
San Francisco, CA

Driving to Vegas on Memorial Day Weekend

I'm driving to Vegas for memorial day weekend (staying there Friday night and Saturday night) and was wondering when you guys would suggest leaving (I'm not from the LA area). Some of my friends suggest leaving at around 5 AM on Friday morning to avoid traffic but I've been looking online and people say that as long as you leave before 3 PM on Friday you should be fine. I was planning on leaving at around 11 AM. I'll be leaving from Westwood.

Thanks.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1
11am on Friday is a good time, as long as you are around Ontario and on the 15 by 1pm you should be fine.
--
"We are the only intelligent people in the universe." Arrogance 3:10

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to bruin23
Vegas bound traffic starts early on a 3-day weekend. If you leave @ 11 plan on a ~5 hour drive. This is the absolute latest I'd leave. If you leave @ 5am, you will get there quicker, but you'll be waiting hours to check in to your hotel.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1
reply to bruin23
If you are staying at a Vegas hotel, does it offer early check in? If so, I like to leave L.A. early as to make it to Vegas by noon or 1pm.

Most of the traffic you may encounter will be in the L.A. basin. You could take the 405 N to the 101/134/210 and hit the 15 from there. Otherwise you will be going down the 10 E through downtown to the 60 (my preference) or remain on the 10 E to the 15 N.

I wouldn't leave at 3 before a major holiday weekend. This drive is normally a 4 hour affair assuming moderate traffic in L.A. and no major accidents on the 15 North, leaving early minimizes potential delays and gives you time to check in a relax a little at the pool from the drive. May make for a more enjoyable experience.