spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chellspecker

join:2012-05-16
reply to SpongeGuard

Re: Anyone using Unblock-us?

I don't understand how Unblock Us works or is supposed to work, but I signed up for it and set up my router according to the instructions on their website. I was using it to access American content on Netflix. Interestingly, some content available to Canadians is NOT available on American Netflix, certain foreign films I had enjoyed and wanted to watch with a friend (I highly recommend Black Book, a Dutch film about the WWII Nazi resistance movement in Holland) It was annoying to have to go into the router settings and change the settings back and forth when I wanted to access my own country's Netflix. But other than that inconvenience, it seems to work fine.

However, I just cancelled my service with them after three months. It seemed to be seriously interfering with my internet connection. I kept getting "unable to connect to x.com" messages, and had to go into Network settings Diagnostics (Mac OS 10.6.8) which seemed to shock it back into giving me an IP address. It would show that I had connection with a green light, but going into diagnostics showed my connection stopped at the IP point. Every few minutes my connection would again disappear. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, as of May 16, 2012? I'm currently troubleshooting this issue.

For now, cancelling the service and setting my DNS settings on my router back to auto seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if the UnblockUs servers are overloaded or what. As I said, I don't understand the technical aspects of their service. All I can say is my internet was f*cked up to the point of uselessess. When i called my ISP tech support, they said it had to do with using Vuze, which I currently am not running. Unless Vuze is secretly running in the background messing with my internet, it seems more likely the Unblock Us router settings were causing the problem. I didn't bother to try to contact them. I'm going to see if not using their service fixes the problem, and if it does, seek another solution to watch U.S. Netflix in Canada. I'll reply if anything changes or it still slows down.

I just thought of a better solution: Netflix, why not go against the grain and just give us all the same content, big entertainment corporations be damned? All these workarounds for completely outdated geographically-based copyright and media access laws are getting tiresome and expensive.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
said by Chellspecker:

I just thought of a better solution: Netflix, why not go against the grain and just give us all the same content, big entertainment corporations be damned? All these workarounds for completely outdated geographically-based copyright and media access laws are getting tiresome and expensive.

They'd be hit with so many simultaneous lawsuits that they'd be vaporized. The way the antiquated model works, I believe this would pretty much be piracy on their part.

I gave unblock-us a try yesterday. Global have changed the Flash version on their web site, which means that I can no longer watch TV episodes using my Boxee Box. Using unblock-us I was able to watch them off the CBS web site (weird thing is that I got a few Canadian ads during the two shows I watched - not sure how the hell that happened). I didn't notice any particular problem while streaming. Not sure if I'll sign up right away since just about every season ended this week or last. I might wait until the fall, by which time the issue with Global may have been resolved (assuming Adobe finally update Flash Player for Linux CE...)

WaitForGodot

join:2009-01-07
reply to Chellspecker
@Chellspecker

Have you tried using the new DNS Servers ? They appear to be better. Below is a recent FAQ I noticed on their site.

Last Updated: Apr 09, 2012 10:16PM EDT
We have introduced new DNS servers and updated all instructions. The new servers are on faster and more reliable infrastructure. The old and the new DNS servers provide identical functionality and while we don't have current plans to disconnect old servers, we expect all customers to use new DNS servers.

The new DNS servers are:
Primary DNS 208.122.23.22
Secondary DNS 208.122.23.23