spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WhatsHot

join:2012-05-10
reply to JeepMatt

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

There are plans. They don't involve conversion of existing channels.

That's as much as I'll elaborate.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
said by WhatsHot:

what else is there, IPTV?

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA
With little capacity to spare, the only other options are IP, 3:1 compression, do nothing (few/no channels), or he/she's wrong.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile US
reply to WhatsHot
said by WhatsHot:

So in short, nothing is happening, what we have is what we get. Take it or leave it.

RBost

join:2009-07-07
Richmond, VA
Plans mean nothing at all. I plan on being filthy rich one day.
It is time to crap or get off the pot.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to nowayout
said by nowayout:

With little capacity to spare, the only other options are IP, 3:1 compression, do nothing (few/no channels), or he/she's wrong.

Those aren't the only options. There's a whole thread on the mpeg-4 conversion that they're doing. Just migrating HD channels to mpeg-4 will free up some 50% of the bandwidth. Then there are other options which they CAN opt for, but probably won't. Like SDV. Or expanding their QAM spectrum to 1 GHz.

Also, not to nit-pick or anything, but on the one post (wasn't written by you) that there's no incentive for them to increase bandwidth because they've stopped their expansion... I disagree completely. Why have they stopped their expansion? What was their stated reason? They want to increase their penetration in markets that they currently serve. How do they do that, exactly, but not improving their product?

I'll also counter that the development of 1.9 (with all its flaws) was another example of them willing to devote a decent investment in improving their product. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it gave them one of the first HD guides in the industry, and improved the overall functionality of their service considerably (adding features like multi-hub). While there are many features that I would still like, and while it's far from perfect, the fact that Verizon devoted that much time and energy into the development of new guide s/w tells me that they're not interested in just letting their product wither on the vine.

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
reply to RBost
said by RBost:

Plans mean nothing at all. I plan on being filthy rich one day.
It is time to crap or get off the pot.

Well, it's not only that plans mean nothing at all but that you can't verify, objectively, that anyone even has plans. I mean, when TJ (late, lamented by some) used to say channels were "in the pipeline", or "planned", or something like that there was no way to prove or disprove the statement. It was therefore something that could be said regardless of what was or was not true.

The only thing that is important is if VZ themselves feel it is time to, as you say, ahem, s**t or get off the pot. Who knows, but my guess is that at least some existing HD channels will be migrating to MPEG4. This is consistent with the Verizon forum post linked to above that only says Verizon is not doing so today. That was posted to make the ineffectual moderators of those Verizon forums, who like to exert their "power" by censoring/deleting/moving posts, feel better about themselves.

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

3 edits
reply to JPL
said by JPL:

said by nowayout:

Those aren't the only options. There's a whole thread on the mpeg-4 conversion that they're doing. Just migrating HD channels to mpeg-4 will free up some 50% of the bandwidth. Then there are other options which they CAN opt for, but probably won't. Like SDV. Or expanding their QAM spectrum to 1 GHz.

Also, not to nit-pick or anything, but on the one post (wasn't written by you) that there's no incentive for them to increase bandwidth because they've stopped their expansion... I disagree completely. Why have they stopped their expansion? What was their stated reason? They want to increase their penetration in markets that they currently serve. How do they do that, exactly, but not improving their product?

I'll also counter that the development of 1.9 (with all its flaws) was another example of them willing to devote a decent investment in improving their product. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it gave them one of the first HD guides in the industry, and improved the overall functionality of their service considerably (adding features like multi-hub). While there are many features that I would still like, and while it's far from perfect, the fact that Verizon devoted that much time and energy into the development of new guide s/w tells me that they're not interested in just letting their product wither on the vine.

I was commenting on WhatsHot's insistence that h.264 conversion wasn't going to take place. IF it were true, those are the other options. (I should have quoted it to be clear.)

SDV was discussed in the past and there was some belief at the time by folks smarter than me that it wasn't compatible with the Fios network, but who knows. If it is compatible, then yes I guess that's an option too.

Raising the spectrum means replacing even the new 7-series STBs. They don't even want to replace the 6-series if they can avoid it. But I'm not sure if they can do this even if they wanted to, as that might run into moca interference. Maybe someone can chime in on that...

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to WhatsHot
said by WhatsHot:

Read between the lines "don't involve conversion of existing channels" can easily be read as "new channels will be added as MPEG4"

nlk10010

join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY
Yes, that's what came to me at first, but the problem is: if there is no space now, how do you add channels without converting existing ones?

Of course, we on these boards know relatively little of the real situation is so I suppose there could be a feasible plan that doesn't involve conversion of existing channels. Just have to wait and see.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to WhatsHot
said by WhatsHot:

I'd be willing to devote a portion of my data bandwidth (which, if rumors are correct will be ~75 Mbs in a month's time!) to an on-demand HD application similar to what's available for XBox/Epix/HBO etc. If Verizon offers every TV subscriber digital internet access to additional HD streams, then everyone should be happy - no? The question remains whether the on-demand channels will be available on mainstream devices like Boxee - THAT would be something that I'd be on-board with. Otherwise, only computer or proprietary hardware viewing would be available.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
reply to sbernstein5
said by sbernstein5:

said by WhatsHot:

Read between the lines "don't involve conversion of existing channels" can easily be read as "new channels will be added as MPEG4"

If thats the plan then FiOS is being counter productive.
All of the HBO and Cinemax channels, with a few exceptions, are MPEG4 being converted by FiOS to MPEG2. Those channels should be MPEG4.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by icemannyr1:

said by sbernstein5:

said by WhatsHot:

If thats the plan then FiOS is being counter productive.
All of the HBO and Cinemax channels, with a few exceptions, are MPEG4 being converted by FiOS to MPEG2. Those channels should be MPEG4.

The old QIP-6xxx and earlier hardware does not support MPEG4. Thus the problem here. We all pay for verizon to upgrade others hardware.
»[DVR] Set Top Box price increase
Expand your moderator at work