share rss forum feed

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood

Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

That's awesome to hear, but just a personal opinnion you can pass on, I am sure others here will agree with this...

If you go the tiered rout, please don't make it ridicilous... like 4GB for limited and 10GB for starter... etc...

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

I know the blog post says some stuff like this, but just wanted to put it out there again

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by neufuse:

That's awesome to hear, but just a personal opinnion you can pass on, I am sure others here will agree with this...

If you go the tiered rout, please don't make it ridicilous... like 4GB for limited and 10GB for starter... etc...

I personally think the base internet usage limit should be 250GB for "starter" and higher amounts for higher speed users... like 1TB for 100+Mbit users, 500GB for performance and higher users... etc

I know the blog post says some stuff like this, but just wanted to put it out there again

Per the FAQs @ »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/ it seems safe to conclude that you needn't worry about 4GB:

"In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage threshold for our customers from today's 250GB per month to at least 300GB per month."
--
JL
Comcast

anon234

@mich.net
reply to neufuse
I'd have to agree with you neufuse. As long as they use reasonable numbers for their tiers it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe base them on a ratio of speed and capacity. You get 250GB for every 6mbps of speed. If you're on the 12/2 plan then you'd have 500GB, if you're on blast you'd have about 800GB. If you're on extreme 50 or 105, it would be 1.6TB and 3.2TB. As the speed of the tiers go up so does your cap. I think that would be more people happy because if you're going to have to pay more for overages you should be getting more speed to go with it. It would be more enticing for people to jump to a higher tier if they are getting more speed and capacity.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I think your numbers are unlikely/not really reasonable.
People using those levels of bandwidth should expect
to pay extra for bandwidth as well as a portion of the cost to upgrade the plant to handle the load.
If you could really find it cheaper YOU probably wouldn't be on ComCast.

anon234

@mich.net
@tshirt:

They already do... If you're on extreme 105 you're paying in the $150 - $200 range. If the standard tier is $60 a month for plant upgrades, line maintenance, customer support, email, etc etc, that extra $90 a month is directly related to giving them more speed. If it requires more hardware to get the extra data then it just means the plant has more capacity for the times when those people are not using it.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
you paid more more for the Max speed and some capacity upgrade, but total bandwidth usage on, say a 400 sub mode was restricted by the cap to 400 x 250.
If you raise the base cap to the TB range at the top, AND make cap/tier expandsion flexible/on demand, most likely you will need to greatly expand Capacity again to cover the times when everyone decides that on the second tuesday of the month they intend to download non-stop, full out and eat the overage cost.

seperately there are the costs of moving that data beyond the last mile

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to jlivingood
I certainly hope I won't have to start paying for extra data on a per month basis, like one of those pay as you go plans found with cellphones, or have to deal with overage charges. I mean whats next, charging by the Gigabyte?

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to neufuse
said by neufuse:

Very few users approach 250 GB. Faster speeds don't necessarily mean more downloads either. I pay extra for Blast so I can download stuff faster, not so I can download MORE stuff that I wouldn't have downloaded otherwise.

I'm not too concerned about where the cap is, though I don't like subsidizing heavy users who pay the same amount as me.
Expand your moderator at work