Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek

Re: [BW Meter] Comcast to Replace Usage Cap

said by sortofageek:

I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening. While you may be better able to manage your network, it worries me I may not be able to manage my budget.

I feel exactly the same way.

This looks suspiciously like the current phone model that we keep reading about, with resulting exorbitant fees for exceeding limits without any way to verify that we are approaching the cap.

jlivingood See Profile , will there be notifications sent when approaching these caps?

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by newview:

said by sortofageek:

I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening. While you may be better able to manage your network, it worries me I may not be able to manage my budget.

I feel exactly the same way.

This looks suspiciously like the current phone model that we keep reading about, with resulting exorbitant fees for exceeding limits without any way to verify that we are approaching the cap.

jlivingood See Profile , will there be notifications sent when approaching these caps?

The plans for the trials are not set yet, so no official word.

But one of our execs just said on a press call that (paraphrasing):
- There will be several notifications
- The customers will have lots of notice

Basically, no one wants a customer to be surprised...
--
JL
Comcast

spookypuff66

join:2003-11-10
Silverthorne, CO
reply to newview
>>I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening.

I don't understand the problem? When I sign into Comcast customer central I can see my High-Speed Internet Data Usage on a daily basis.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Yeah, i don't think that system is going away when the new plans are implemented.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to spookypuff66
I believe the concern was that the meter would go away and instead the customer would have to rely on notifications from Comcast that they were getting close to the cap limit, not a very efficient method in my opinion, and if I had to guess I would say the meters would still be in place with any new cap system, at least I certainly hope so.

If you're going to apply punitive measures for excessive data usage, on any capped/metered system, then you better supply a method for tracking that data usage.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
said by keenan424:

I believe the concern was that the meter would go away and instead the customer would have to rely on notifications from Comcast that they were getting close to the cap limit, not a very efficient method in my opinion, and if I had to guess I would say the meters would still be in place with any new cap system, at least I certainly hope so.

Oh! Well, the meter to track your usage isn't going away...

From the FAQs @ »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/
Q. Will you continue to offer access to the data usage meter?
A. Yes.The Data Usage Meter is an easy and quick way for customers to track their Internet data usage. The primary account holder can find it by signing onto Comcast.net and logging into “My Account.” Then click on “Users and Settings,” look in the “My Devices” section (located toward the upper right hand of the screen), and click on “View Details.” From there, you can view your Data Usage Meter details page that shows your monthly data usage. We're working on ways to make the Data Usage Meter even easier to find and track.

More information about the Data Usage Meter can be found on our Network Management page at »networkmanagement.comcast.net/da···eter.htm.
--
JL
Comcast

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to spookypuff66
said by spookypuff66:

>>I'm not sure I like this because it sounds like I might run into additional charges without knowing it is happening.

spookypuff66 See Profile

You replied to newview See Profile, but you actually quoted me.

So far, it isn't a problem for me because I can sign into Comcast Customer Central, see what the cap is, see my usage to date and make an informed decision whether I need to back off for the remainder of the month or not.

At the time I posted, I had heard Comcast was doing away with the 250GB cap, but it was not yet clear I would know at what point they would start charging at metered rates. Hence, I wasn't sure I would be able to manage my usage to stay in budget.

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

From what Jason has stated since my earlier post, I feel more comfortable, that I will be able to know the point where additional billing will kick in and will still see the meter.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to jlivingood
Well, that should allay the fears of many of the posters here, thanks for the confirmation.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

I was remembering the old Compuserve metered billing during dial up days. One could run up a horrendous bill really quickly back then. It made the service almost unusable for many of us.

So, for customers like me, the concerns are gone for now. I have always dreaded metered billing, though.

Yep, as you do, I remember those days well, when CompuServe was king, navigating and downloading when minutes meant dollars at a blazing (at the time) 14,400 bit/s connection!

One evening (I can't remember now what the downlad was) I spent an extra 35 - 40 minutes trying to download something...I caught hell over the bill...and it fit on a 3.5 floppy disk.
--
Deeds, not words
Expand your moderator at work