uniqs
share rss forum feed

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to nowayout

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

said by nowayout:

With little capacity to spare, the only other options are IP, 3:1 compression, do nothing (few/no channels), or he/she's wrong.

Those aren't the only options. There's a whole thread on the mpeg-4 conversion that they're doing. Just migrating HD channels to mpeg-4 will free up some 50% of the bandwidth. Then there are other options which they CAN opt for, but probably won't. Like SDV. Or expanding their QAM spectrum to 1 GHz.

Also, not to nit-pick or anything, but on the one post (wasn't written by you) that there's no incentive for them to increase bandwidth because they've stopped their expansion... I disagree completely. Why have they stopped their expansion? What was their stated reason? They want to increase their penetration in markets that they currently serve. How do they do that, exactly, but not improving their product?

I'll also counter that the development of 1.9 (with all its flaws) was another example of them willing to devote a decent investment in improving their product. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it gave them one of the first HD guides in the industry, and improved the overall functionality of their service considerably (adding features like multi-hub). While there are many features that I would still like, and while it's far from perfect, the fact that Verizon devoted that much time and energy into the development of new guide s/w tells me that they're not interested in just letting their product wither on the vine.

nowayout

join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

3 edits
said by JPL:

said by nowayout:

With little capacity to spare, the only other options are IP, 3:1 compression, do nothing (few/no channels), or he/she's wrong.

Those aren't the only options. There's a whole thread on the mpeg-4 conversion that they're doing. Just migrating HD channels to mpeg-4 will free up some 50% of the bandwidth. Then there are other options which they CAN opt for, but probably won't. Like SDV. Or expanding their QAM spectrum to 1 GHz.

Also, not to nit-pick or anything, but on the one post (wasn't written by you) that there's no incentive for them to increase bandwidth because they've stopped their expansion... I disagree completely. Why have they stopped their expansion? What was their stated reason? They want to increase their penetration in markets that they currently serve. How do they do that, exactly, but not improving their product?

I'll also counter that the development of 1.9 (with all its flaws) was another example of them willing to devote a decent investment in improving their product. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it gave them one of the first HD guides in the industry, and improved the overall functionality of their service considerably (adding features like multi-hub). While there are many features that I would still like, and while it's far from perfect, the fact that Verizon devoted that much time and energy into the development of new guide s/w tells me that they're not interested in just letting their product wither on the vine.

I was commenting on WhatsHot's insistence that h.264 conversion wasn't going to take place. IF it were true, those are the other options. (I should have quoted it to be clear.)

SDV was discussed in the past and there was some belief at the time by folks smarter than me that it wasn't compatible with the Fios network, but who knows. If it is compatible, then yes I guess that's an option too.

Raising the spectrum means replacing even the new 7-series STBs. They don't even want to replace the 6-series if they can avoid it. But I'm not sure if they can do this even if they wanted to, as that might run into moca interference. Maybe someone can chime in on that...