DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Meaningless...

...unless they start wiring the apartment complexes with FIOS.

Bootes
Premium Member
join:2005-01-28
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Bootes

Premium Member

Re: Meaninless...

You mean your apartment complex? They've been wiring apartment complexes for years.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I think he's talking about those on VDSL/VDSL2 still...

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

2 recommendations

Cabal to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore

Re: Meaningless...

said by DownTheShore:

The combination of your post content and your avatar is cracking me up.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

This is largely dependent on the owner of the apartment complex in question. In many cases they are built in such a way that all the copper lines are hidden in the wall, and a single pair (or 2 pairs) are available for each apartment. The conduits they are in might simply be too narrow to add additional cabling, except replacing all cables in one go.

Often they also have a central mini-CO on site that works perfectly for regular phone lines and DSL, but has to be replaced for fiber.

That is a rather costly venture, and Verizon is not going to want to wire up all 200 apartments with fiber (or however many there are) with a fair amount of existing DSL accounts and no guarantee that there will be a certain amount of FIOS customers. And it is also likely the apartment complex owner is not going to want to bear that cost.

Other apartment complexes have conduits for each apartment, or are wired on the outside walls. In those cases, FIOS can be installed on an individual basis as it is much easier to replace the individual wires. Again though, it is partly dependent on what the owner of the complex says with regards to wires, as once you go FIOS, you can't go back to copper.

Best thing to do if you want to get FIOS, is move to a private rental, or a complex that you know allows individual installs of FIOS.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to Bootes

to Bootes

We had our town wired as of the first install. It's been years they still haven't wired older apts. New green builds yes not the one already built.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to maartena

to maartena

why not use the co-ax thats already running to each apt
since i know they use that for a lot of installs now
run the fiber in to the basement or were ever the co-ax comes in at
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to mech1164

Premium Member

to mech1164

There are often conflicts with the building owners who have been locked into exclusivity contracts by cable, RCN... they don't want Verizon coming in and messing up the building with new wires run all over... or they have been screwed over by Verizon in the past and could care less if Verizon wants to come in. I have only been approached by one building owner who said he wanted FIOS run in the building but Verizon wasn't contacting him despite many of his tenants trying to order. I called the FIOS engineer for him but don't know what happened.

Of course, there is also the fact that Verizon is just not interested in FIOS anymore. They have stopped the roll-out into areas that don't currently have franchise agreements. They are also trying to lay-off techs in the already drastically reduced workforce. The techs that are still here are being assigned to moving copper customers onto FIOS (this is bad for a number of reasons). Simply put, Verizon should change its motto from 'We make progress everyday' to 'We'll get to it when we get to it'
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to elios

Premium Member

to elios

Most of the apartment buildings (at least here in NYC) do not have a home-run of coax from each apartment to the basement, they have feeders going up to closets on each floor and distribute the signal from there. Also, while the coax would work fine for video & Internet, the FIOS equipment cannot use coax for dialtone.