All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to WhatsHot

to WhatsHot

Re: New HD channels coming anytime soon?

said by WhatsHot:

There are plans. They don't involve conversion of existing channels.

That's as much as I'll elaborate.

Read between the lines "don't involve conversion of existing channels" can easily be read as "new channels will be added as MPEG4"
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

Yes, that's what came to me at first, but the problem is: if there is no space now, how do you add channels without converting existing ones?

Of course, we on these boards know relatively little of the real situation is so I suppose there could be a feasible plan that doesn't involve conversion of existing channels. Just have to wait and see.

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1 to sbernstein5

to sbernstein5
said by sbernstein5:

said by WhatsHot:

Read between the lines "don't involve conversion of existing channels" can easily be read as "new channels will be added as MPEG4"

If thats the plan then FiOS is being counter productive.
All of the HBO and Cinemax channels, with a few exceptions, are MPEG4 being converted by FiOS to MPEG2. Those channels should be MPEG4.
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

said by icemannyr1:

said by sbernstein5:

said by WhatsHot:

If thats the plan then FiOS is being counter productive.
All of the HBO and Cinemax channels, with a few exceptions, are MPEG4 being converted by FiOS to MPEG2. Those channels should be MPEG4.

The old QIP-6xxx and earlier hardware does not support MPEG4. Thus the problem here. We all pay for verizon to upgrade others hardware.
»[DVR] Set Top Box price increase
Expand your moderator at work