how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI

[D3] Barbarian Thread - Diablo 3

As the other thread is getting long, and is all over the place, thought it would be nice to have a class one.

I am just about to start Hell mode, and wanted to get some input on what everyone else is using. Right now I am board/sword.

Have seen people talking about going dual wield, but wonder how that stacks up.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
I just finished Diablo on normal mode lvl 30 right now. Curenttly dual wielding.

My aoe build is:
leap + armor
stomp + pull
rend + range
revenge + damage

cleave + explosion
seismic slam + stun

Single target:
leap + armor
stomp + pull
Battle shout + damage
revenge + damage

frenzy + damage
overpower + ???

I know my single target build is not ideal so would love to see what are you guys doing with your single target builds.
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
actually I think your single is fine.

Overpower has a crit run and a defensive one. I use the defensive one.

Wrath instead of leap.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
I will do the switch tonight.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Wrath + frenzy + dmg buff while at full rage will melt anything you come accross. ANYTHING!! HAHAHA!

But srsly I have only been killed inside wrath once and that was too doubled up elite groups after chasing the gay gold gnome around through both lol.
--
Call it evil that men do, lord forgive me for what my pen do
This is for your sins, I cleanse you. You can repent but I warn you, if you continue. To hell I’ll send you.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to primeomega
I haven't had any experience with sword and board, but I am assuming it would offer a lot more health stability. DW forces you to live through lifesteal on items and moves and your health bar can get bouncy when it gets hectic and revenge's save your life ALOT!
--
This is for your sins, I cleanse you. You can repent but I warn you, if you continue. To hell I’ll send you.

Taino

join:2010-10-15
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to primeomega
My barbarian is lvl 55 and about near the end of Act 2 on Hell Difficulty. So far I am finding trash packs are actually a lot harder than the bosses. With my build I pop Wrath of the Berserker and bosses die fast especially once you know the mechanics to avoid. I am using:

»us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/b···T!YYacbZ

Frenzy -- Smite
Whirlwind -- Wind Shear
Leap -- Iron Impact
Revenge -- Provocation
Battle Rage -- Swords to the Ploughshares
Wrath of the Berserker -- Insanity

Passives:
Relentless
Unforgiving
Juggernaut

Not much kiting abilities. I prefer to leap into the fray and mow enemies down. The provocation rune causes revenge to proc a lot. When my health gets low I leap out and run for a bit until I can quaff a pot. If I have a teleporter I will usually smack them with a revenge. The only mobs that are a real pain with this build are the fire chained jailors. I have been experimenting with elective mode and switch out Battle Rage for Earthquake with Chilling Earth for those super pesky packs (with arcane enchants).

As far as gear I use a lot of items that are +Str and +Vit. I try to find the weapon with highest damage on it I can find, and preferably 1.5 attacks a sec if possible. With a slow weapon I don't use Frenzy as my main fury generator. I use Bash with Pulverize. Right now though I have a fast weapon.

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to primeomega
I was thinking of that with DW, doing a life steal on both. Figure with the 20% atk speed bonus, and LS, should bring in some nice HP. And the few "oh shit" perks we get, should be good.

Just have now find some good weapons. Have not hit the AH yet, think I might have to.

Taino

AH is the way to go. All of my weapons have come from the AH. I have had bad RNG luck. I tend to get lots of 2 handed cross bows and wizard staves. Only good thing is those sell well, so I have the gold for my weapons.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to primeomega
Don't use the DW build in HC. Too risky.

I am running like 10% lifesteal roughly.

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to primeomega
Single target attacks should almost always be Bash with Clobber rune.

I keep bosses basically stun locked.

Also, DW with max frenzy buff and WW with the rage generator rune is good times. Throw in Wrath of the Bezerkah!! for extra lmao.
--
Jobbie told me to change my sig.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
Throw in seismic slam w/ stun and its GG

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

Don't use the DW build in HC. Too risky.

I am running like 10% lifesteal roughly.

doubt I will play much in hardcore at all with the lag and the great teleport bug I get a lot. Sure down the road when it gets better will jump into it.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

This is what I use for my stuns when I see a big attack coming I would just interrupt it and keep my frenzy stacks up.
--
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Taino

Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by Jobbie:

said by f0rtys3ven:

This is what I use for my stuns when I see a big attack coming I would just interrupt it and keep my frenzy stacks up.

I don't use stuns. I ww through the mob when I see the big hit coming. Their animation keeps them facing the way of the hit while I am behind them stabbing them in the nethers.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by Taino:

said by Jobbie:

said by f0rtys3ven:

I don't use stuns. I ww through the mob when I see the big hit coming. Their animation keeps them facing the way of the hit while I am behind them stabbing them in the nethers.

this is a good call
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

I use Weapon Throw with stun rune instead. Seems "faster" and has a higher stun chance.
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to primeomega
This is copied from my smart phone, emailed to myself and pasted into here, so it looks little janky. I pulled it from www.diii.net

This is a compendium of information regarding game mechanics as they relate to the Barbarian (and other classes, in part) including a discussion of the skill builds and gear that has worked best in Hardcore mode. This information has been gathered via in-game testing and data mined formulae, and reflects my experiences as a level 60 Barbarian in Hell difficulty on hardcore mode (though most of the information is relevant for softcore play as well).

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a living document, meaning that it will be updated over time as new information emerges. This is not a place for us to dictate information; if something is incorrect or has changed, please help us maintain this as an accurate, up-to-date reference for all players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR Summary
Spreadsheet: to compare mitigation across builds (file -> save as)
Sample Builds: Full Tank, Solo Farming, Party Tank, Bosses, Stun-heavy/Kiting, Very aggressive AOE farming, Pure-Ranged
Stat Priorities: Vitality > Strength > Dexterity (avoid Intelligence)
Gear Priorities: +Armor / +%Armor, +Resistances, + %Health % Damage Reduction, Vitality, Strength

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abbreviations
DR ¨C Damage Reduction
Clvl ¨C Character Level
Mlvl ¨C Monster Level
Str ¨C Strength
Dex ¨C Dexterity
Int ¨C Intelligence
Vit ¨C Vitality

Table of Contents
1. Survivability Mechanics

1.1 Armor
1.2 Resistances
1.3 Dodge
1.4 Block
1.5 Damage Reduction

2. Barbarian Mechanics

2.1 Damage over time
2.2 Dual wielding
2.3 Slows and Snares

3. Builds

3.1 Components of a build
3.2 Vital abilities
3.3 Sample builds for hardcore

4. Gearing Considerations

1. Survivability Mechanics

1.1 Armor
¡öReduces all incoming damage by a percentage
¡öIncreased by items, strength, abilities
¡ö1 point of strength = 1 armor

1.1.1 Armor Damage Reduction Formula:

%DR =[Armor/(Armor+Mlvl*50)]*100
Where Mlvl is the level of the monster attacking you

1.1.2 Armor against a level 60 monster

Armor

%DR

50%

60%

70%

75%

80%

85%

90%

1.2 Resistances
¡öReduces damage of an element by a percentage
¡öWorks on physical damage as well as elemental
¡öIncreased by items, abilities and intelligence
¡ö1 intelligence = 0.1 resistance

1.2.1 Resistance Damage Reduction Formula:

%DR =[Resistance/(Resistance+Mlvl*5)]*100
Where Mlvl is the level of the monster attacking you

1.2.2 Resistance against a level 60 monster

Resist

%DR

8%

14%

20%

25%

33%

40%

50%

1.3 Dodge
¡öPercent chance to avoid all damage of an attack
¡öMelee, ranged, missile, magic missile and AOE attacks can be dodged
¡öIncreased through items, abilities and dexterity

1.3.1 Dexterity to Dodge Conversion
Dexterity does not provide static amounts of dodge like Strength and Intelligence. Instead, the more Dexterity you have the less dodge you will receive.

0-100 dex gives

0.10%

dodge per pt.

100-500 dex gives

0.03%

dodge per pt.

500-1000 dex gives

0.02%

dodge per pt.

1000-8000 dex gives

0.01%

dodge per pt.

Resulting in the following:

100 Dexterity gives

10% dodge

500 Dexterity gives

20% dodge

1000 Dexterity gives

30% dodge

2000 Dexterity gives

40% dodge

3000 Dexterity gives

50% dodge

1.3.2 Example Dodge Calculation
Assume: 600 Dexterity, +10% dodge from ability

100 Dexterity @ 0.1% per point = (100*0.1%) = 10.00%
400 Dexterity @ 0.025% per point =(500*0.025%)=10.00%
100 Dexterity @ 0.02% per point =(100*0.02%)=2.00%
Total from Dexterity:(10.00%+10.00%+2.00%)=22%

Combining this with the 10% ability dodge we get

=1-[(1-Total from Dexterity)*(1-Total from Ability 1)]
=1-[(1-22%)*(1-10%)] =30% Total Dodge

1.4 Block
¡öProvides a chance to block an amount of damage from each attack
¡öThree primary shield stats: armor, block chance and block amount
¡öBlock test occurs after damage reduction calculation
¡öYou cannot block magical attacks

1.4.1 Blocking Mechanics
Shields provide a line of defense after your armor, resistances and damage reduction is taken into account. If a shield block is rolled, damage you would take is reduced by your shield block amount. If you would take damage less than the shield block amount, you take no damage.

Due to the nature of the damage calculations, armor synergizes very well with blocking. That is, a character with high armor will see more benefit from blocking than a character with very low armor.

1.5 Total Damage Reduction
¡öCombines all sources of damage reduction multiplicatively
¡öWhen testing for survivability, be sure to calculate both physical and elemental damage
¡öThe total damage reduction is an average over time due to block and dodge being random events

1.4.1 Other Damage Reduction Sources
¡öBarbarians and Monks have an innate 30% damage reduction
¡ö% armor bonuses are calculated including all static armor adjustments

1.4.2 Basic Formula

Total DR%=100*[1-(1-DR1)*(1-DR2)*(1-DR3)...]
where DRX (e.g. DR1, DR2, etc.) is a source of damage reduction

1.4.3 Basic Formula Example
Assume: 60% DR from armor, a shield with 15% block chance and 1000 block amount, 10% dodge from Dexterity
Assume: Monster hit deals 5,000 damage
Note: All melee classes receive 30% damage reduction from all sources

Shield Damage Calculation:

%Shield DR=[15%*(5000-1000)]+[85%*5000]=4850

1-(4850/5000)=3.00% average DR

Physical Damage Reduction:

Total %DR = 100*[1-(1-60%)*(1-3%)*(1-10%)*(1-30%)]=75.56%

Magical Damage Reduction

Total %DR = 100*[1-(1-60%)*(1-10%)*(1-30%)]=74.80%

1.4.4 Spreadsheet Calculator
¡öDownload here
¡öAdjust variables in yellow cells to compare mitigation across different builds

2. Barbarian Mechanics

2.1 Damage over Time
¡öDoT effects from the same ability (e.g. Rend) do not stack
¡öDoT effects from multiple abilities can be applied to a single monster at the same time
¡öHigher attack speeds cause each DoT to ¡°tick¡± more frequently ¨C total length of time does not change

2.2 Dual Wielding
¡öAlternates attacks between each weapon
¡ö15% attack speed bonus while dual wielding
¡öYou never attack with both weapons at the same time
¡öSome abilities always use the damage from the main hand weapon
¡öWeapons with the +X attacks per second affix provide the bonus speed to both weapons

2.3 Slows and Snares
¡öAttacks with cold damage slow enemies
¡öSlows do not stack, only the highest is used

3. Builds

3.1 Components of a good build
1.Some form of mobility/control to prevent being surrounded
¡öLeap
¡öFurious Charge
¡öWhirlwind
¡öSeismic Slam
¡öGround Stomp
2.¡°Emergency buttons¡± for elites/champions/bosses
¡öIgnore Pain
¡öWrath of the Berserker
3.Percent-based Healing
¡öRevenge
¡öFurious Charge
¡öRend
¡öOverpower
4.As much armor/resistances/passive defense as you can fit

3.2 Important Abilities

Revenge
Effect: 30% chance when hit to activate an ability, which when used heals 5% of max HP per enemy hit

As soon as you possibly can, rune this with provocation. The healing this ability provides is enormous, especially against packs of mobs. To top it off, there¡¯s no cooldown.

Ignore Pain
Effect: 65% damage reduction for 5 seconds

You¡¯re virtually unkillable for 5 seconds, on a 30 second cooldown. That means about 15-25% of the time you¡¯re nearly immune to death (depending on rune ¨C either extend time to 7 seconds or gain 20% life steal).

War Cry
Effect: Increases Armor, along with HP, resistances, or dodge

This will fill in any stats you¡¯re missing from your gear. Due to diminishing returns, we want to gain damage mitigation from multiple sources. For instance, if you¡¯re heavy on armor and doge but low on resistances, rune this for resistances. If you¡¯re heavy of armor and resistances, rune this for dodge.

Wrath of the Berserker
Effect: 10% crit, 20% attack speed, 20% dodge, 20% movement speed, (rune for 100% damage or 60% dodge)

Every two minutes you¡¯re a god. Or..nearly so. This is the cornerstone of your champion/elite killing power. It can also be used as an emergency button to escape with, as it breaks frozen and various other debuffs.

Furious Charge: Dreadnought
Effect: Dash forward, healing 8% for every enemy hit

Mobility and healing ¨C this can be used in many builds to kill two birds with one stone.

3.3 Example builds for Hardcore

Note that these builds are the ones I¡¯ve found to work best for hardcore play. In softcore, you can likely get away with quite a bit more damage and less survivability. These are templates to help you as a starting point in building your own build that suits your playstyle ¨C adapt them as you see fit.

Keep in mind that, currently, hardcore Barbarians don¡¯t really have a single build to ¡°rule them all¡± ¨C certain areas require certain abilities to stay alive. You should almost always be using either Full Tank, Bosses, or Stun-Heavy/Kiting.

3.3.1 Full Tank

Use when: You¡¯re in hardcore, under-geared in softcore, exploring new content, or have a high-DPS friend

You¡¯re giving up a large portion of your damage potential for raw staying power. Ignore Pain, Wrath of the Berserker and Leap all provide very high levels of damage mitigation for elite and champion packs, while frenzy and revenge provide your damage.

If you feel like you¡¯re hurting for more damage, consider swapping Tough as Nails for Berserker Rage and the Wrath of the Berkserker rune for Insanity.

3.3.2 Solo Farming

Use when: You¡¯re well-geared and farming comfortable content quickly (e.g. magic finding)

Relies more heavily on healing than mitigation and kills more quickly than the full tank. You retain Ignore Pain for emergencies, but gain Furious Charge in lieu of Leap for mobility and healing.

Frenzy: Sidearm provides your main source of damage, which is useful for both single-target and AOE damage (the additional projectile can hit your main target, and often does). Wrath of the Berserker: Insanity provides a huge damage amp, especially paired with Berserker Rage.

3.3.4 Party Tank

Use when: You¡¯re in a heavy-DPS group that lacks survivability. Not recommended for Hardcore.

Gives up most of your damage and mobility in exchange for more stunning and group buffs. Build relies on having other damage dealers to do the killing while you keep things busy.

3.3.5 Bosses

Use when: You¡¯re fighting a boss

Due to boss enrage mechanics, it is imperative to kill them quickly. This crux of this build is maintaining a very high attack speed with Frenzy: Smite for frequent stunning, in combination with Wrath of the Berserker + Earthquake. Take the life steal rune on ignore pain instead of revenge, as revenge isn¡¯t terribly attractive against single targets.

3.3.6 Stun-heavy/Kiting

Use when: You¡¯re in tight corridors or areas without room for much maneuverability. Try to funnel mobs into a choke point, then stun them to keep them at a distance.

Gives up some healing from Revenge (you won¡¯t be in the thick of things if you can help it) and takes a number of additional stunning abilities. Primary heal is now Furious Charge: Dreadnought.

Focus on using abilities to generate rage quickly, then spam Seismic Slam: Stagger to keep things stunned and at a distance. Due to the hit-and-run nature of the build, Unforgiving is taken as a passive to keep rage from decaying while you move.

3.3.7 Very aggressive AOE farming

Use when: You vastly over-gear content, are extremely comfortable and want to quickly group-up mobs and AOE them down

Be careful with this one ¨C it provides an immense amount of damage over a short period of time, but gives up quite a bit of mitigation to do so. Ideally, round up a bunch of mobs and burst them down before your power abilities run out.

3.3.8 Pure-Ranged

Use when: Melee attacks simply aren¡¯t an option

This is an interesting variant I¡¯m still testing. This build relies heavily on crits and cooldowns to generate fury, and doesn¡¯t have nearly as much mitigation as other Barbarians would typically have. You¡¯re still more beefy than a Demon Hunter, but try to avoid getting into the thick of things.

Leap: Launch and Ancient Spear: Rage Flip are your escapes, and you keep War Cry and Ignore Pain for emergencies. Practice your stutter-step micro, because you don¡¯t want to be anywhere near monsters for this.

4. Gearing Considerations
¡öIn general: Vitality > Strength > Dexterity > Intelligence
¡öDue to the high amounts of resistance available on gear, intelligence is a very poor stat for Barbarians and should be avoided
¡öArmor and Dodge both suffer from diminishing returns ¨C use the spreadsheet to determine which stats provide you with the most mitigation.
¡ö+% Health (e.g. gem in helm) is a great way to get your health pool up
--

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to primeomega
That is a nice read, thanks for posting that up. I know I will do some changes when I get home to see what happends.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
reply to primeomega
Are barbs better tanks that monks? I'm going to make another character for the sole purpose of tanking while they nuke everything down.
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to f0rtys3ven
For tanking with sword and board, I use:

Leap + 300% armor
Revenge + Lifesteal
AS slowing shout
Call of the ancients

with

Cleave
Seismic Slam + underground AOE earthquake aftershocks

Passives:
Shouts give 1% HP/sec for 60sec
And the two +armor ones

Very stable for tanking. Gear is a combo of vitality and STR, with a +% of HP gem in the helm. Currently level 40 and I can am questing with the Enchantress and don't even really miss the templar's heals.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
reply to primeomega
Primeomega - you get Rubberbanding in game to? Are you on Hughesnet?

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
reply to primeomega
I am finding that with Shield, I have more uptime due to latency and rubberbanding in game. If the area is lower level then dual wield is fun to rip thru.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to Krisnatharok
I think that eventually I will end up with a sword and board. The first few mobs in Hell took significantly longer to kill. From 2 shots to 5 or 6.

I am going to continue amping my gear up with most offensive stats and lifesteal and see how far you can viably push DW, but I believe I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The issues start when you can die in a stun because of no lifesteal. Right now I am still running bloodthirst, full rage buff, and the armor from health passive, but I am going to switch out bloodthirst for the other armor buff/juggernaut as soon as I add a bit more lifesteal through gear. This should harden me up pretty good.
--

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to Tweakbl
said by Tweakbl:

No, Time Warner Cable here.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
said by primeomega:

said by Tweakbl:

Oh snap, I just saw where you are from. I used to live in Green Bay on Deckner Avenue. We had friends that lived in De Pere though, so I drove over there all the time. They lived in a suburb over by a golf course that was on the outskirts of De Pere, to the east IIRC.
--

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Leap + 300% armor
Revenge + Lifesteal
AS slowing shout
Call of the ancients

with

Cleave
Seismic Slam + underground AOE earthquake aftershocks

Passives:
Shouts give 1% HP/sec for 60sec
And the two +armor ones

Very stable for tanking. Gear is a combo of vitality and STR, with a +% of HP gem in the helm. Currently level 40 and I can am questing with the Enchantress and don't even really miss the templar's heals.

Thanks, this is really good. I'm making a barb here soon and I will go off of this. (Sole purpose will be to tank EVERYTHING at once ;P)
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

said by primeomega:

said by Tweakbl:

Oh snap, I just saw where you are from. I used to live in Green Bay on Deckner Avenue. We had friends that lived in De Pere though, so I drove over there all the time. They lived in a suburb over by a golf course that was on the outskirts of De Pere, to the east IIRC.

lol, small world!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to JB
said by JB:

said by Krisnatharok:

Leap + Iron Impact
Revenge + Vengeance is Mine
Threatening Shout + Falter
Call of the ancients + Duty to the Clan

with

Cleave + Rupture rune
Seismic Slam + Rumble rune

Passives:
Nerves of Steel (armor increase by 100% of your vitality)
Inspiring Presence (shout duration doubled, generate 1% of your total HP for 60 sec)
Tough as Nails (increase armor by 25% and thorns [wtf is that] by 50%)

Thanks, this is really good. I'm making a barb here soon and I will go off of this. (Sole purpose will be to tank EVERYTHING at once ;P)

Fix'd with details. Wondering if I should keep using Call of the Ancients--they are an answer DPS increase and really can take the heat off when it gets crazy.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
I like them on Boss fights, but I prefer Earthquake for Champs.
--