Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tofusl

join:2009-04-08
reply to bimmerdriver

Re: [BC] Best Modem for High Speed Turbo 25

said by bimmerdriver:

I really wish the powers that be in Telus would disengage their crania from their respective orifices and either support the ALU or offer something equivalent.

Yeah. =(

Anyhow, it seems like the best option is to pray for an ALU by asking the tech nicely and then either it works or we try the modified firmware.

How did you get your ALU bimmerdriver?

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

I got one of the last ALUs when they were being phased out and replaced with Actiontecs. A combination of timing, a cooperative installer and probably a measure of good luck.

tofusl

join:2009-04-08

Oh. That doesn't bode well for me I think if they're phased out of ALUs in BC. My installer comes on Monday.

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

said by tofusl:

Oh. That doesn't bode well for me I think if they're phased out of ALUs in BC. My installer comes on Monday.

I wouldn't fret, you can still get 'em (ALU). Got one for a buddy recently. Telus employees (not contractors) can usually scrounge one up, even if they have to make a second visit. Just explain why you need it. Of course being cordial to the tech goes a long way for them to put in the extra effort.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

velvetfog

join:2010-06-01
Calgary, AB
reply to tofusl

said by tofusl:

Anyhow, it seems like the best option is to pray for an ALU by asking the tech nicely and then either it works or we try the modified firmware.

I got Telus to install an Alcatel Cellpipe running in transparent bridge mode in my house, by the simple expediency of refusing to accept the installation of an Actiontech V1000H.
I told the first installer, who showed up with nothing but Actiontech units in his truck, to leave, and then I called Telus to complain.
I pointed out to their support staff that back when I first became a Telus ADSL customer, they had assured me that I would have the ability to use two real world IP addresses, and if I had let the installer put in the Actiontech unit, I would not have direct access to even a single real world IP address, and that was not acceptable to me, and represented a deal killer as far as me becoming an OPTIK TV customer.
The next day, a far more experienced installer showed up, bringing an Alcatel Cellpipe with him.

I demanded and got, a VDSL2 setup that has the Alcatel Cellpipe ALU working as a modem only, feeding a Linksys 5-port 100BaseTX switch that I provided.
Connected to the Ethernet switch is a Telus provided D-Link G3810 triple-play router for the OPTIK TV service, and my own network router ( a PC running Astaro Security Gateway v8.3), each consuming a real world IP address from the Telus DHCP server.
I added an APC Back-UPS 350 at the electrical panel to power the ALU, the Ethernet switch and the D-Link triple-play router.
I am very happy with my setup, it has been running flawlessly for more than a year now.
I am in Calgary, Alberta.

m999

@telus.net

Actectec
My Actiontec - good enough although need more upload. Pings are usually 10 ms.

m