uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

An article today on the Light Reading Cable site about which markets may get the X1 next:

Where Will Comcast's X1 Land Next?
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - May 30, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=221481

Strangely, the article states:
Early on, Comcast will introduce that capability on the RNG 150, an IP-capable HD digital set-top (also made by Pace) that has the horsepower necessary to run the new cloud-based guide.

The only RNG150 box that I knew about is the one made by Cisco (which I have). However, this page on Comcast's site also shows an RNG150 that is made by Samsung: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ramming/

The author might have the RNG150 confused with the Pace RNG110 box that is detailed in the article (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=199901) that he referenced right after that statement.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
said by telcodad:

An article today on the Light Reading Cable site about which markets may get the X1 next:

Early on, Comcast will introduce that capability on the RNG 150, an IP-capable HD digital set-top (also made by Pace) that has the horsepower necessary to run the new cloud-based guide.

The only RNG150 box that I knew about is the one made by Cisco (which I have). However, this page on Comcast's site also shows an RNG150 that is made by Samsung: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ramming/

The author might have the RNG150 confused with the Pace RNG110 box that is detailed in the article (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=199901) that he referenced right after that statement.

Pace is a branded distributor of Samsung hardware, as is the case with the RNG110. Very possible the "Samsung RNG150" has a Pace logo on the front.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by markofmayhem:

Pace is a branded distributor of Samsung hardware, as is the case with the RNG110. Very possible the "Samsung RNG150" has a Pace logo on the front.

I found a webpage on the Pace RNG150N: »www.pace.com/americas/products-c···rng150n/

It doesn't look like the "Samsung" RNG150 box, though.

Are these Pace Boxes, like the RNG110, used on "Motorola" systems only, or on SA/Cisco ones too?

Anyway, don't know if Comcast is already using these, or will be using a Pace "RNG150" box as part of the X1 deployment then.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by telcodad:

said by markofmayhem:

I found a webpage on the Pace RNG150N: »www.pace.com/americas/products-c···rng150n/

It doesn't look like the "Samsung" RNG150 box, though.

Are these Pace Boxes, like the RNG110, used on "Motorola" systems only, or on SA/Cisco ones too?

Anyway, don't know if Comcast is already using these, or will be using a Pace "RNG150" box as part of the X1 deployment then.

I think the RNG STBs can be used in both Motorola and SA/Cisco markets when used with the new guides that use Tru2way. RNG is a Comcast specification that is used by different companies that make STBs. X1 will initially be deployed on the new Pace Gateway and then on the RNG STBs.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
OK, thanks. Yes, as it said in that referenced article ("Comcast 'RNG' Set-Tops Have IPTV Potential") the RNG boxes are built to conform to Comcast's "Residential Network Gateway" specs, and should be able to run the newest program guides.

I also heard back from the author, and he said that at the Cable Show, Pace demonstrated what it called a "second generation" RNG150 box as a companion to the X1: »www.lightreading.com/document.as···umber=22

A user guide for it can be found at: »www.pace.com/Documents/Manuals/E···User.pdf

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to telcodad
when will my area get this box?
Is there a website for x1?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by mikedz4:

when will my area get this box?

I don't think anyone knows that yet. Only a few markets have been ID'ed/rumored so far, as mentioned in the Light Reading Cable article and my previous posts.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
I was hoping the pittsburgh region would get it as well.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

The areas that you listed in the linked post are an exact match:
»Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

The scheduled dates will probably continue to slip, but your source is well informed.
--
Links:

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Even though the X1 platform should have been officially launched in Boston now, I have not found an official, supporting webpage for it on Comcast's site yet.

The only pages about it that I've seen so far have been the press release (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···RID=1186), on the Comcast Voices blog (»blog.comcast.com/2012/05/watch-c···iew.html), and various threads in the Comcast Help and Support Forums (for example: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1291543 and your own post at: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1294993).

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by telcodad:

said by mikedz4:

Even though the X1 platform should have been officially launched in Boston now, I have not found an official, supporting webpage for it on Comcast's site yet.

aguiar0016 just posted this on another thread:

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

said by mikedz4:

aguiar0016 just posted this on another thread:

Just found this new website for the X1 platform: »xfinity.comcast.net/x1/

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
So does anyone know if X1 provides Anyroom DVR functionality?

So, if I were a new customer signing up, would only my DVR be on the X1 software and my other 2 HD boxes would have the A28 guide?
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to telcodad
I don't really car that much about the guide features- I want the extra tuner(s), although I suspect the three tuner limit is due to signal level problems.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to JeepMatt
That's a good question. Better yet, could you have X1 in all of your rooms, and they all talk to eachother?

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to owlyn
or maybe box CPU power or the box useing tuner 4 for data?

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

So does anyone know if X1 provides Anyroom DVR functionality?

So, if I were a new customer signing up, would only my DVR be on the X1 software and my other 2 HD boxes would have the A28 guide?

quote:
An industry source says the first multi-room DVR implementation involving the X1 will team the hybrid device with the RNG150, an all-digital HD client box from Motorola Mobility Inc. (NYSE: MMI), with trials expected late this year.
The previous excerpt is from:

Comcast Sizes Up All-IP Set-Top

By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 4, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···r_cable&

telecodad posted excerpts from this article at:

»Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed
--
Links:

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to JeepMatt
No Anyroom functions.

Good question, i'm going to guess yes. Let me see if I can get a better answer for you.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to Joe12345678
Why does Pace say the box have six tuners? Is Comcast deactivating 3 of them?

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
said by Zoder:

Yes.

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to JeepMatt
Jeep, only the DVR will be X1 the others would be on the current guide.

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to owlyn
said by owlyn:

said by Zoder:

Yes.

That's disappointing. At least it's something they could change with a future software update.

ric

@spcsdns.net
Denver will be 2nd market to get X1(July/August)

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
still no news on the pittsburgh area. I know they said probably not this year but I'm still holding out hope

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to telcodad
Most - if not all - of the RNG (Residential Network Gateway) boxes throughout Comcast's footprint (in Motorola areas at least) are manufactured by Pace; however, Cisco Systems has their own completely separate RNG STB lineup in their own (and Scientific Atlanta) areas. (We have an RNG110 in an upstairs bedroom that is, in fact, the *only* HD-capable STB in the house; it has an internal (red) M-card which can be seen through the cooling slats.)

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN
you forgot the the Motorola DCX3501 says on the front of the box RNG200N so it technically is an RNG box