Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LINCSAT
Premium
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON

Rogers Ultimate HU Speed Upload Update

I received the update for the upload, just haven't got around to posting. I am in midtown toronto on the cisco modem. The download speed increase also. Thanks Rogers great job as always!!

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
Just remember that when you run a speed test, the results are often inflated by the Rogers Speedboost, which detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream. It is not often that you hear that Rogers does a great job!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
There is no speedboost on upload, at least.

LINCSAT
Premium
Markham, ON
reply to LINCSAT
My download will be at 90.00 mb/s plus sometimes. This upload is a bonus to me, putting it to the test wright now. I didn't think there was a speed boost on the upload either.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to LINCSAT
i don't think there is a speedboost for ultimate or extreme.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
My post above does state that Speedboost applies for the for first 10 MB of a download. Also according to their Website "SpeedBoost technology is available with the Rogers network and is included with your Hi-Speed Internet service at no additional charge." The one tier that it does not appear to be available on is Lite, where an Express Pass is available for 1 day.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonsb

Stakh

@rogers.com
reply to LINCSAT
How does one go about asking Rogers for this? What's the procedure? Do I call regular Contact Us number?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by Stakh :

How does one go about asking Rogers for this? What's the procedure? Do I call regular Contact Us number?

One does not. One has to wait for Rogers to upgrade their area. That's currently only happening in parts of the GTA. Rogers says it will take years for their entire footprint to be upgraded.

When your area is upgraded, there should be a notice about the increased speeds on your bill.

LINCSAT: Out of curiosity, do you know if Rogers has stopped analogue cable TV service in your area?

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

There is, according to speedtest.net.

Makaveli998

join:2002-04-23
I'm on the 5100 motorola with the 95GB 10/1 grandfathered package and even I get speed boost.

My downloads usually are 1.2mb but with speed boast i've seen it hit 1.7mb

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

Everyone get's speedboost.

iFly55

join:2010-01-19
canada
reply to LINCSAT
LINCSAT do you have 8x4?

LINCSAT
Premium
Markham, ON
reply to LINCSAT
Yes my cisco is 8*4, a while back I recieved a phone call from a rogers tech from his truck and he informed me that a upgrade would occur in a few days. He informed me of a change in my modem and after this occured the upload went to 10up. I am not involved in any beta that I know of. I don't subscribe to cable tv.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Hooter
said by Hooter:

My post above does state that Speedboost applies for the for first 10 MB of a download. Also according to their Website "SpeedBoost technology is available with the Rogers network and is included with your Hi-Speed Internet service at no additional charge." The one tier that it does not appear to be available on is Lite, where an Express Pass is available for 1 day.

Speedboost is FOR SURE NOT the first 10MB although thats what Rogers says it is.
If you download something like ~100MB file on E+ and its going at something very fast, like 5MB/s, the speedboost can last the entire file.
Its more like in the first 20 seconds, if there is available bandwidth then you get it. I'm 99% sure this is how it works.
This is especially true for things like local youtube caches.... I used to use deturl.com and download epicmealtime off youtube at 720p-1080p and it would speedboost the entire file.
But i dont have Rogers anymore....

LINCSAT
Premium
Markham, ON
reply to LINCSAT

The upload is a solid 10Meg up all the time. This is my normal download with out speedbost. Enjoying this upload speed!!!

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

said by Hooter:

Speedboost is FOR SURE NOT the first 10MB although thats what Rogers says it is.
If you download something like ~100MB file on E+ and its going at something very fast, like 5MB/s, the speedboost can last the entire file.
Its more like in the first 20 seconds, if there is available bandwidth then you get it. I'm 99% sure this is how it works.
This is especially true for things like local youtube caches.... I used to use deturl.com and download epicmealtime off youtube at 720p-1080p and it would speedboost the entire file.
But i dont have Rogers anymore....

Officially speedboost is the first 100MB. I read it somewhere on their website.

It would make sense that youtube might appear not affected, but it is. Flash requires much less space than mpeg2/4, thus may appear unaffected by the speedboost but it is in fact.
--
Hello

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by aereolis:

Speedboost is for the first 10MB not the first 100MB.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON
said by JCohen:

said by aereolis:

officially it is for the first 10MB.
but technically if you've actually experienced it, there is no way this is true.
Its for ~20 seconds, and sometimes its 5MB/s, sometimes more , sometimes less, you can work out that if its going 5MB/s and the speedboost is longer than 2 seconds (speedtest takes around 7secs and still reports a faster speed) that its almost always much more than 10MBs!!!

Anyways speedboost is variable speed, and is by TIME not DATA, therefore, it cant simply be the first 10MB....

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
said by the cerberus:

said by JCohen:

said by aereolis:

officially it is for the first 10MB.
but technically if you've actually experienced it, there is no way this is true.
Its for ~20 seconds, and sometimes its 5MB/s, sometimes more , sometimes less, you can work out that if its going 5MB/s and the speedboost is longer than 2 seconds (speedtest takes around 7secs and still reports a faster speed) that its almost always much more than 10MBs!!!

Anyways speedboost is variable speed, and is by TIME not DATA, therefore, it cant simply be the first 10MB....

So be it, it says 10. Maybe i remembered reading 10, and tried comparing it to a download and saw it last a lot longer than 10, close to 100 and that stuck in my mind.... either way, 10MB must be wrong.
--
Hello

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON
reply to LINCSAT
I think 10MB might be accurate for the former 10mbps tier, because that's about how long it would be effective for. I can say that on my 32 mbps tier I see about 5MB-6MB/sec for around 10 seconds and then it drops back to 4MB/sec.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
As a former Rogers employee, all internal docs state that speedboost is only for the first 10mb. However, in real world usage it often lasts much longer, but officially it is only the first 10mb.

Arthur Winsl

@rogers.com
Every modem on the Rogers docsis network has a 10485760 byte burst appended to the downstream service modulation.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON
said by Arthur Winsl :

Every modem on the Rogers docsis network has a 10485760 byte burst appended to the downstream service modulation.

Thats a good technical explanation of whats not happening.
It's 100% for sure by time and not data.

said by JMCD23:

I think 10MB might be accurate for the former 10mbps tier, because that's about how long it would be effective for. I can say that on my 32 mbps tier I see about 5MB-6MB/sec for around 10 seconds and then it drops back to 4MB/sec.

Thats exactly right. By observation/calculation we can tell its much more than 10MB (50-60MB for you).

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
I'm On the Extreme

LINCSAT
Premium
Markham, ON
reply to LINCSAT
Well here is the fastest I have seen, for the last three days I have been well over 100mb/s down don't mind but wow and why?

dnglbr
Premium
join:2002-03-23
North York, ON
Called in to get the new upload speeds for my Extreme service. Took a little while to find the product code in the database, but got it done.

Yonge & Eg area.

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON
said by dnglbr:

Called in to get the new upload speeds for my Extreme service. Took a little while to find the product code in the database, but got it done.

What did you have to ask for? Any details to make it less painful for the rest of us?

I lost cable service between 2am-4am last night. This morning my modem has the US light blue instead of green which means it's upstream bonding. I'm still getting 2Mb/s upstream however.

dnglbr
Premium
join:2002-03-23
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
said by avernar:

said by dnglbr:

What did you have to ask for? Any details to make it less painful for the rest of us?

I lost cable service between 2am-4am last night. This morning my modem has the US light blue instead of green which means it's upstream bonding. I'm still getting 2Mb/s upstream however.

I actually got transferred to sales by accident. The rep noticed right away that the account is showing "upstream upgrade available". She did not know how to do the upgrade and tried talking to tech support who were completely clueless, came back to me and said tough luck. I saw somewhere around here that it's just a different product code that needs to be put on, with "+ HU" at the end of it, so I asked her to go through her product database looking for HU. Took a little bit of looking but she found it and switched me over very easily.

I wouldn't waste my time with level 1 tech support if I were you, go straight to sales or even customer relations, who actually get proper training.

nhs ice

join:2006-08-16
Toronto, ON
This upload thing is getting on my nerve. We can barely browse the internet when my wife is uploading stuff to her co-worker and this is ultimate connection. I will dump rogers and switch to bell if they had upgrade my are and this is in the heart of downtown.

joffice

@bell.ca
wait, wait, wait.....Rogers updated the upload for Ultimate? So its supposed to go up to 10mbit?