uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

[Troubleshooting] Crappy 3G Speeds

Click for full size
Embarrassing
Is there anything I can do to remedy the craptastic 3G speeds we are getting in our town? Routinely, from 8AM till 10 or 11PM, we average less than 0.2Mbps download across town, testing with iPhones and Droids.

Clearly the problem is saturated backhaul as speeds are decent in the middle of the night.

What recourse do we have, if any? At least I won't have to worry about reaching my cap any time soon.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

My 3G is as slow as yours, I think the network is getting congested..

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

These were the speeds I got on 1X way back when.
Duffman9
join:2010-02-04
Springfield, PA

Duffman9 to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I've come to the conclusion that Verizon's 3G speed sucks! Everywhere I go it's terrible. New York, Philadelphia, Washington, DC. It's all equally sucky.

I don't have any answer for you but I feel your pain.

pagebt
@ssa.gov

pagebt to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
this seems to have just started this week for me... any ideas what to do next? is there a department at Verizon to call?
AlmontJohn
join:2011-01-27

AlmontJohn to WK2

to WK2
Hey, that's 10x better than what I was getting. Slowdowns started at 2pm till 11pm. It screamed in the middle of the night. It seemed to start when they rolled out 4G in the area.

Believe it or not, I actually switched to satellite. Latency sucks, but it's reliable.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Duffman9

Premium Member

to Duffman9
said by Duffman9:

I've come to the conclusion that Verizon's 3G speed sucks! Everywhere I go it's terrible. New York, Philadelphia, Washington, DC. It's all equally sucky.

I don't have any answer for you but I feel your pain.

Come to Charlotte where often 3G is faster than 4G. It's no problem to pull 1Mbps down in these parts.

Visit Myrtle Beach and in areas, 2.5Mbps down is easy peasy on 3G.
Jeff41
join:2002-09-30
Gaffney, SC

Jeff41 to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Verizon announced in a press release yesterday that they will be launching 4G LTE in Greenwood on June 21. That should relieve the congestion on their 3G network in that area. Everyone with a 4G capable device should be moved to their LTE network.

That's most likely the reason people in Charlotte and Myrtle Beach are pulling in such good speeds on 3G.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Jeff41:

Verizon announced in a press release yesterday that they will be launching 4G LTE in Greenwood on June 21. That should relieve the congestion on their 3G network in that area. Everyone with a 4G capable device should be moved to their LTE network.

That's most likely the reason people in Charlotte and Myrtle Beach are pulling in such good speeds on 3G.

I can say, as of a month ago, there's no 4G in Myrtle. At least the Thunderbolt didn't find any.
Jeff41
join:2002-09-30
Gaffney, SC

Jeff41

They've had it since May 17. Here's a link to the press release for it. »news.verizonwireless.com ··· 15a.html
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by Jeff41:

They've had it since May 17. Here's a link to the press release for it. »news.verizonwireless.com ··· 15a.html

So, all of 3 and a half weeks. Don't think you can thank 4G for freeing up 3G quite so fast.

tiger_scout
join:2010-02-20

tiger_scout to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Im getting .66 down and .18 up.

FightingBlue
@frontiernet.net

FightingBlue to Hazy Arc

Anon

to Hazy Arc
I have a similar problem in rural Western New York. Speeds are decent usually in the middle of the night, and rarely at other times, but any kind of peak time or weekends and it's so bad that the network is functionally unusable. I often can't even send picture messages. This is confirmed on multiple devices via multiple accounts, so it's not just me.

Is there NO place or department that this can be reported?