Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

Who cares but the Major players $$$

As a consumer I don't have a problem with it. I use the FF all the time on my DVR.

But as a content owner I would. The fact is those "feeds" that Dish re-broadcasts are OWNED by the provider. I am quite sure it is in the contract Dish signed. It's also why I can't just re-broadcast a TV stream over my Internet companies lines without getting an agreement as well.

Advertisers don't just base their placement on superficial thoughts of this station is better than the others. There are "ratings" that they go by. It's more about how many people are watching that channel in a given market at a given time. Not about who is going to buy what, but just the overall number of people watching. It would change the game a little bit though. Advertisers pay BIG bucks to place an add at prime time nationally. As an advertiser, I could make the argument that x million people use Dish and can skip those ads. So why should I pay that much.

It's a pretty neat situation Dish placed themselves in. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

even still in show placement ads are fine with me if done right or ad relating to the show is fine also. but most times its not and their awful

borked
Cheese With That Whine?
Premium
join:2003-08-10
Kalamazoo, MI
reply to gunther_01

said by gunther_01:

There are "ratings" that they go by. It's more about how many people are watching that channel in a given market at a given time. Not about who is going to buy what, but just the overall number of people watching. It would change the game a little bit though.

The Nielsen Ratings do not factor in any time shifted viewing so this point is meaningless.
--
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem.
Malcolm Forbes (1919-1990)

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

What exactly is "time shifted viewing"? People using DVR's? If that's what you mean, then of course it doesn't. There is no way to track that with all of the mediums we have currently. But those "ratings" ARE what advertisers work off of.

That's the whole point.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to borked

said by borked:

said by gunther_01:

There are "ratings" that they go by. It's more about how many people are watching that channel in a given market at a given time. Not about who is going to buy what, but just the overall number of people watching. It would change the game a little bit though.

The Nielsen Ratings do not factor in any time shifted viewing so this point is meaningless.

Of course they do. They have ratiings for Live+same day, Live+ 1 day, out to Live + 7 days. They even list how much a ratings boost a show gets from DVR watching during the following week.