how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SmartnSekC

join:2007-09-05
Dubuque, IA

[IA] Turned on TV for first time since Superbowl Fail

So I turned on the cable t.v. for the first time since the Superbowl Failure. »[IA] Mediacom & Superbowl ~ Dropping the Ball - Pun Intended My family are all from Jersey. Stanley Cup is important, as important as the Superbowl to most. What do I see when I turn on NBC HD tonight? A total repeat of the Superbowl pixelated mess. It's as if nothing was ever done about it, (and frankly I don't know if anything was ever done about it because I never turned on my t.v. again after that Sunday). Exact repeat of garbled sound, No Signal/Weak Signal pop up errors, pixelated beyond recognition. I'm stuck with Mediacom for cable. You have a monopoly out here. I rent, I cannot get a dish. This is not how a business should be ran. You pay for a dozen eggs and you're lucky to get one that's edible. And they give you what, $2.00 for the Superbowl inconvenience? Wow, that really soothed me real nice. The point of HD is to watch sports!!!! I don't watch t.v. I admit I pay for a lot of nothing but I like it there as a security blanket and to be able to watch my sporting events when I want to. Couldn't watch Superbowl in HD. 4 months later, throughout a television hiatus, I turn on the Stanley Cup and again total fail. Everyone just acts like, 'Oh well. We're sorry.' Nothing ever gets done. You all get paid whether you provide the service you advertise or not, whether you provide the speeds you claim, or the cable you claim. Yet I have to watch Mediacom commercials left and right boasting themselves up as to being this so awesome thing. It sickens me.

ZC_217

join:2010-02-07
Des Moines, IA

You say nothing was ever done, but have you reported the problem to Mediacom? It just sounds like by what you posted that since you haven't watched since the Superbowl, you haven't reported the issue. Mediacom can't correct issues that they don't know about and if you have an issue that only affects you then there would be no way to have it fixed without calling Mediacom.

Tiling could be caused by a number of different things. Have you had your signals checked to see if they are in proper range? Getting in touch with MediacomChad on here would also be a good place to start.

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL
reply to SmartnSekC

You should be able to get a dish if you want one.

»www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece···ces-rule

If there is a problem with your service from Mediacom, Chad can help get service calls set up to fix the problem.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103
reply to SmartnSekC

"SmartnSekC", I am not seeing any issues with the tv on the headend. I checked the signal levels at your house and not seeing any issues there either. I recommend getting a tech out to your location to investigate the issue, especially if it has been going on since February.

SmartnSekC

Dubuque, IA
reply to ZC_217

I'm speaking from being a Mediacom customer for a good 10+ yrs. I reported the issue on the Superbowl, said issue they acknowledged as their phones were ringing off the hook. It sounds as if you're trying to place blame on me for not babysitting a service I pay for. I pay for electricity. When I turn on a light, I expect it to be there. I leave for a week and come back, I turn the switch on, I expect it to be there. That's how utilities are supposed to work. Phone, Electricity, Water, and all my other utilities do not need me to babysit them and ask them if they are feeling alright each day. I pay Mediacom. Yet Mediacom expects me to spend time on the phone with them time and time again...they expect me to take time out of my day to have a service tech come out. Doesn't do any good if the problem resolves itself by Tuesday. I spoke to customer support today. She couldn't check my signals because I don't have a box. So I guess I need to pay for a digital box in order for testing to be done. Please, let me chuck down more money for this convenience of faster troubleshooting when failure happens. Makes a lot of sense.

SmartnSekC

Dubuque, IA
reply to lhollow

It is written in my lease, we cannot have dishes. This is a historic building and my landlord will not budge on the idea as it will be an eyesore.

SmartnSekC

Dubuque, IA
reply to MediacomChad

I spoke to a customer rep, she said she couldn't check my signals because I do not have a box and that she wanted a get a tech out on Tuesday. I'm resigned.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

We offer the trouble call to verify there are no issues with the line coming into the house, any splitters inside the house, or even any of the wiring. This could be any of these issues. Which as why the tech on the phone, as well as myself, recommend the trouble call.

@mchsi.com

seems like the customer support reps are trying to help you out, they offered to send someone out and check to see what is going on but you don't want that.....

IowaGuy

@mchsi.com
reply to SmartnSekC

So you're telling me that if your water stopped working you'd just sit around and make a couple of calls about the issue. Then when someone offered to come out and look at it, you would refuse the call?

If your electricity was blinking on and off, you wouldn't call the power company and have them come out and see if they can find the problem?

You're right, you don't have to babysit them, but they can only help you as much as you want to be helped.

I see that you called Tech support and they offered to roll a tech and you refused. I see MediacomChad also suggesting the same thing. In my experience some of the customer reps do default just to roll a tech but MediacomChad has resolved MANY customers issues.

Tiling could be as simple as old worn out wiring, a splitter or amp that has gone bad, or the signal being split too many times without being re-generated. These are all issues that would reside within your residence. As you stated that this is a historic building a likely suspect would be wiring.

Expand your moderator at work

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to SmartnSekC

Re: [IA] Turned on TV for first time since Superbowl Fail

So wait, let me read this right. You turned on the cable TV for the first time in almost 4-5 months, for something that you say is as important as the Superbowl. You knew you had problems viewing the last major event, so instead of checking in advance, you just turn it on that day and hope it's suddenly working properly? Maybe I'm completely misreading, but if that's the case, part of the burden is on you. You certainly had time to check on whether there were still problems between then and now. I suppose it's possible that the cable TV would have been perfect in those months between when you last watched and now, but I doubt it.

Now I'm not saying it's entirely your fault. But you'll have to be willing to meet them halfway to fix the problem. That means following up on the issue on your end and trying to let people like Chad help you troubleshoot.

And if all you want to watch are major sporting events that are on broadcast networks anyway, why not just get an antenna and watch them OTA instead of paying for cable TV you only turn on every few months? I guess it's possible you don't get decent reception where you live, even with an antenna, but it might be worth looking into.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to SmartnSekC

said by SmartnSekC:

It is written in my lease, we cannot have dishes. This is a historic building and my landlord will not budge on the idea as it will be an eyesore.

You may want to look into federal FCC law & rulings. You may just well find that the FCC law on antennas & dishes for satellite reception trump any statement in a lease, including "historic". I don't guarantee anything, but if I were you, I'd look into it.
Otherwise, it sounds like you have a cable issue inside of the building.

For a start: »www.fcc.gov/guides/installing-co···e-dishes

lhollow

join:2010-12-02
IL

That FCC stuff is *SO* fun to read. Zzzzzz.

IMO, landlords should provide common antennas. I'm used to seeing satellite dishes all over the place, but they aren't made for looks.

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to SmartnSekC

No sympathy for the OP. I wouldn't give him/her a credit at all.

SmartnSekC

Dubuque, IA
reply to SmartnSekC

Thank you for the suggestions.