2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

I mean...

I am all for consumer privacy. But if someone is doing something illegal online (soliciting children, setting up murder plans, etc) and the goverment wants their information, I would want the companies to hand it over. I would be really angry if something happened to someone I love, because an ISP wouldnt work with law enforcement because of their consumer protection issues.

Music/Movie Piracy isnt as bad as anything in the physical realm mentioned above, but I still people that if we can catch a theif, we should.

People should know these days that everything can be tracked.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by baineschile:

I am all for consumer privacy. But if someone is doing something illegal online (soliciting children, setting up murder plans, etc) and the goverment wants their information, I would want the companies to hand it over. I would be really angry if something happened to someone I love, because an ISP wouldnt work with law enforcement because of their consumer protection issues.

So you're saying it's ok if law enforcement goes on fishing expeditions and request information on random people without valid court orders hoping they'll get a bite?

The rankings in the article are NOT "which companies do not comply with valid court orders" but rather which companies challenge illegal or over-broad court orders and which ones then inform the targeted user (unless the order prohibits doing so).

You can keep your temporary illusions of safety/security. I'll keep my liberty thank you very much.

/M

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile
Internet Service Providers are not there to enforce the law. They are in business to provide internet service. That is the scope of their function. What you want is law enforcement to do their job. There is a serious problem when you think it is okay to have your communications listened in on in the United States. Privacy is a right. There needs to be a warrant to monitor your internet usage.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

so if you get robbed at a gas station, and the gas station had a camera during the crime; the police cant use it?

no, its not he ISPs main job to enforce laws; but if they can get vital information to help law enforement, I am all for that.

as long as its court ordered...

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

You want your ISP to monitor you. No oversight, no control. I couldn't do business with a company that monitors everything I do. Unless I already had a means of keeping them from knowing everything that I'm doing.